“a little European flair”

Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
santa rosa
“a little European flair”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I pride myself on being very adventurous traveler, willing to try all sorts of accommodations, so when I made last minute reservations for the Mendocino Hotel and was told there was only the European style ( it means a shared bathroom down the hall) rooms available, I was game to try something new, now of course the whole way there I was thinking how is this going to work ?? is there going to be some hairy guy shaving at the bathroom sink while I am showering or what ? ( insert clip of National lampoons European vacation here ;) ). when I arrived I found a wonderful Victorian Hotel, the lobby was large yet cozy and boasted a grand fireplace!. I checked into my room and was delighted to find that all though the bathroom was in the hall it was totally private and clearly marked when it was in use, plus there were 4 to choose from. (no random walk ins or door knocks.) I was delighted to always find the bathrooms available and freshly cleaned. The room was not huge but was perfect for a couple who spend a lot of their time out sight seeing or relaxing in the lobby bar area, I was perfectly content to lounge in bed ( very comfy by the way ) and read my book I love that the french doors opened on to a wrap around porch and allowed cool ocean breezes in, I even had breakfast delivered and had plenty of room to enjoy it with out feeling cramped ( try the eggs Benedict it's fab!!) I can imagine that the euro rooms aren't for everyone but if you are open to a new experience and not looking for a huge suite style room then you are in for a treat !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SantaRosaLolita69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Czech first
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I don't understand why this hotel got so many good reviews. My husband and I were totally misled. When we got there, we found our room absolutely tiny. We are both very slim people, but struggled to walk around the room. There was simply no space other than a big bed. There was no toilet or shower in the room. We had to go cross the hall to use the public bath. There were times when it was occupied and then I had to stand outside and wait. Can you imagine that?

In the middle of night when I wanted to use the bathroom, I had to put on my clothes, find the public bathroom key and our room key in the dark (because I didn't want to turn on the light to wake up my husband), then walked across the hall to use the public bathroom. By the time I got back, I was almost awake. I don't understand why so many people said they had a wonderful stay.

We were sooooo disappointed that we left the hotel the next day we arrived, even though we booked and paid for two nights. We didn't even bother asking for a refund. That was absolutely horrible.

Fellow travelers, if you want to book this hotel, please call them and ask the size of your room and whether there is a bathroom in your room. It will be very inconvenient if you have to share a bathroom when you travel, especially as a romantic holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jing B
drchef, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
We like to remind all return and future guests that our property has multiple styles/price ranges of rooms. True the historical rooms with the share bath are smaller than what people are normally used to. In 1878 there were no king sized beds and bedroom areas were considerably smaller. We would invite the guests to try a Victorian room with private bath or any of our Garden suites which are more of a size that people of this century are used to and have plenty of room for guests to stretch out.

Travelers are raving about these Mendocino hotels

Elk Grove, California
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our stay was outstanding. The suite had loads of charm and overlooked the headlands. Wow, what a view and it was a complimentary upgrade. Dena, at the front desk, was a great help with our accommodations and we couldn't be more pleased. Daniel in the Victorian Rest was an outstanding waiter and saw to our every need. The wine list was excellent and the food was suburb but slightly over priced. If you are in Mendocino this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a front view overlooking the headlands.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill S
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a great place to stay. The hotel has a colorful history and the downstairs has a fireplace, plenty of plush chairs to relax in and sip a glass of wine while enjoying a view of the coastline.
The staff at the hotel are extremely polite and accomodating. Our room was so comfortable it was hard getting out of bed and down to the extraordinary coffee and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
drchef, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Visitors to our hotel who feel so relaxed with us that they have restful days, wonderful meals and comfortable nights let us know that we are on track with providing the warm welcoming service that we continually strive for. The Mendocino Hotel is a great place to reflect on life while enjoying our slower paced village ambience.
Oakland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

this is an old historic hotel, located in the historic town of Mendocino, very restful, beautiful rooms, scenic area, a wonderful place to stay, food was good, the area it's located in says it all, great shopping too!

Room Tip: they are all good rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked a "luxury" garden room for the middle of the week through groupon for $99.00, the room was normally $325.00.
The pros.... a large room conveniently located in the heart of the town of Mendocino.
The cons......hard uncomfortable bed, with holes in the blankets and bedspread,the bathroom was in need of maintenance.... peeling paint, broken bathroom fixtures, the marble was in poor shape.We upgraded to a room with a fireplace only to find the only wood available was a "dura log", we ended up purchasing fire wood in order to have a fire. Internet was not available as promised.
Thank Goodness we only paid $99.00 for this room.

Room Tip: Check out the many other choices Mendocino has to offer in a Bed and Breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Guest88888
San Francisco,Ca
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel has history, great service and a spectaculor location. Perched above the postcard view of the headlands, its peaceful and quiet. Lovely bar, fireplace in the room and a lovely garden, we found it very appealing.

Room Tip: The garden suites seem like the best bet. Roomy and about 5-7 rooms per building. The garden is love...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CabernetFrank
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
#2 of 2 in Little River
Brewery Gulch Inn
Brewery Gulch Inn
#1 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Share your experiences!