Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed October 4, 2012

It was OK.That's the best I can say about it.I can see the point of preserving the old things to remind us of how things used to be.It's a long time,for example,since I slept in a brass bed! But,and this is a big but,do we really want to traipse down corridors in the dead of night to find a bathroom which we share with goodness knows how many other guests? Is it truly preserved or has it just become delapitated? A difficult question but I can only give my own answer by saying that I won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
drchef, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

The following quote from a previous guest sums up the intentions of the owner in preserving the historic aspects of The Mendocino Hotel "In a charming tourist town, the Mendocino Hotel is probably the one original hotel." From the brass beds to the antique light fixtures this hotel's Victorian decor has been hand selected to showcase the era. Many rooms have modern private baths for those guests who do not wish to travel so far back in time.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

this is the place for you. Our room was clean, but very old. The windows had black out curtains on them, with window shades that did not pull up. Our first contact with the desk person was horrible. We arrived after a 5 hour drive, only to be told, in a very bad tone, that check in was at 4, of course, and it was only 2. If we had not paid already for 2 days, we would have walked out. Mendocino has VERY limited eating choices. First night went to Purple Rose, Fort Bragg, which is always a winner. Second night tried to eat in the hotel, but the only table (which are set up more like parlor seating, than dining) was under the stairs. Went up to Casper to have pizza... they had a $5.00 cover charge p/p to eat inside. It was cold and foggy, so back up to Fort Bragg . The price requested for the rooms are very high, even for a garden room. Cheese and wine was a nice touch. Wanting to get to the beach, I was told to walk down the street and there was a path between the church and gas station. Found it.. also found a group of young people, smoking pot, with hungry dogs beside. Left, and came back the next morning with my husband. Same group there. Very intimidating and did not venture down the dark path to the ocean. This is a very bad image to present to those of us who chose to visit Mendo. Will definately not return to either the town or the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in Fort Bragg.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
drchef, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

The entire professional staff here at The Mendocino Hotel were dismayed to read that this guest's stay was not a happy one. We are always concerned when a guest's experience with one of our staff is less than pleasant and we do appologise as all of our guest's are VIPs. Our town is defiinitely an historic village with limited patrols as the transient population can be offputting. Our dining facility offers fine dining and a bistro option for all tastes. Our decor is Victorian and can be seen as busy or dark to some guests. The owner has spent many years providing us with antiques to showcase our hotel as the
Grand Dame that she is. Please don't let our rustic village and it's colorful locals prevent you from enjoying a quiet piece of history.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were charmed by the lobby of the hotel's historic touches. The front desk clerk was friendly and helpful, providing us with bath robes and suggestions for local hikes. In the evening, we relaxed by the fireplace with a bottle of wine we had brought, and the staff was friendly in providing us wine glasses and even asked whether they could chill it for us. In general, we are the type of travelers who are happy with European style rooms with shared bathrooms and in-room sinks, but I must admit the rooms in the main lodge are a bit more cramped than usual. The bed also felt smaller than a double, but the bed and pillows were comfortable. My BF slept well, but I felt squashed against the wall. In the mornings, conversations by guests walking out in the corridor woke me up. It was a little pricey for what we got, but everything in Mendocino is expensive. We had wanted to stay in Mendocino to take advantage of morning walks at the Headlands Park, so this hotel was a good base.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Some call it historic I call it outdated and over priced. The woman at the front desk acted annoyed that I rang the desk bell and rushed our check in. You think at $349 a night they could greet you with a bit more of a smile. We just stayed at Harbor View Inn in Santa Barbara and it was 10x the hotel and they gave us a complimentary bottle of wine, turned down the bed and gave us chocolates - this place acts like they could care less. When I opened the door to our garden room it was shocking- old crazy flower patterned carpet, lace curtains, crazy worn burgundy furniture, pink walls and old bed spread. I guess some folks like the old antique look- but not for me. I didn't find it charming or inviting, especially at that price- $150 maybe.

Room Tip: Garden room has no ocean view but spacious.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I am writing this review whilst staying in room 7 in this hotel. Their website advertises it as a room with a bath. This room has a shower not a bath. When I queried it at reception, I was told that in America, with bath means with bathroom! My wife and I are here for two nights.

There is literally one drawer in which to put our clothes.

Unfortunately our room is over the kitchen from where there has been so much banging noise that I had to ask the night receptionist to check where the noise was coming from and either to get it stopped or to move us. That was when I found out we were over the kitchen.

I am really not impressed.

Oh, and by the way, I am a senior citizen who is registered disabled. No one offered to help us carry our suitcase to our bedroom.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Go eat the eggs benedict there, you can't go wrong. Absolutely the best I've every had and we love our bene's! Show up before 11am as it gets real crowded then. We stayed at their sister property, the Hill House Inn which was real nice but just a continental breakfast so do eat at the Monterey Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

In a charming tourist town, the Mendocino Hotel is probably the one original hotel. The original building is on main street and the annex, where we stayed, is a block behind it. The annex has generously-sized rooms with fireplace and modern amenities and was built perhaps thirty years ago. A nice bottle of red wine waited us. The parlor and restaurant in the main building are very nice and lavishly decorated with period furniture and art. The restaurant service and food are very good with the breakfast being particularly generous. This was a very nice base for our two-day visit and I recommend it.

Room Tip: The annex is nice but I do not know what the antique rooms in the main building are like.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
#18 of 25 in Mendocino
Little River Inn
Little River Inn
#1 of 2 in Little River

Been to Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Share your experiences!