“Dont go here!”

Ranked #14 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Sebastopol, California
“Dont go here!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Me and my girlfriend went to sweetwater to get some time away and reconnect romantically. Everything seemed really nice at first. We stayed in the sweetwater tower which was a sweet view and they let us have one night instead of their minimum two nights stay. That was cool.However, there was a lot that was not communicated and even some misleading information before hand that made our stay quite unpleasant. Part of the deal with this room is that after 9pm the hot tub becomes private. However, after 9 there were still people talking loud and carrying on. I go down to ask why they havent left yet and I get a response 'oh, well this specific day we stay open another hour. diana never told you?' They apologized and I kinda let it go just so I wouldn't ruin my own night. In the morning when we check out, we were rushed out of our room, very frustrating, so that the cleaners could do their job. We get yelled at for having two beers and food in the room and they charge us a 'cleaning fee'. I understand charging if its excessively messy but Im sorry, thats what you pay them money to do, clean up after you. granted we had some clothes on the floor, and take out boxes around, but nothing was spilled and was not that big of a mess. Will never go here again and will file a better business bureau claim. Could not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Charles M
Hank M, Owner at Sweetwater Inn and Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Like we mentioned on Yelp, Charles, we want to sincerely apologize for the delay in addressing your concerns. When it comes to your stay, we completely understand your frustration. We are truly sorry for the miscommunication as the last thing we want is to ruin our guest's night. While we cannot change the past, we want to personally invite you back for a better future. It is our goal to have our guests truly enjoy all the elements of the Sweetwater experience; so we will take this feedback and become our best.

Kindly,
Hank & Dianna - Owners

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
encinitas
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my day two stop along coast on my way up from San Diego to Oregon. What a great place to stay. I stayed in the Rivergate room, which was upstairs in the main office part of the hotel. Room had fireplace and very cozy Highlight was the clothing optional hot tub in back of grounds very secluded and private. They provide robes and towels so you can walk up to the spa or you can change up there. Staff was helpful, kind and friendly. Mendocino just a block up from the hotel is such a throwback town, reeking of the heyday of the counterculture era of the 1960's. I also ate right next door at 955, great food and atmosphere! I will definealty come back again ☺

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark L
Seattle
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in the "View West" room. I'd give it a "C-" - ok, but nothing special, especially for $295. On the plus side, it was large and clean. On the negative side, it was described as having a view of the town, when it actually looks down on a road. The bathroom was pretty, but not very functional - the jets on the spa tub were on their last legs (they were so weak, you couldn't tell if they were on). The double shower had only lukewarm water on the left side, and cold on the right (and both were trickles - no water pressure).

There are a number of nicer places to stay in town, and we'd try one of them next time. Sorry - I really wanted to like this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I visited the Sweetwater on our recent vacation and couldn't have been happier. We stayed in the Flower Cottage - a cute, clean, and well-appointed room with a comfortable bed. The inn grounds are beautifully maintained and dotted with several unique flowers we had never seen before. The Sweetwater is only a few steps from Mendocino's main streets and shops which made the short trip to get coffee in the morning a breeze. We visited on Memorial Day weekend and even though there were several other guests, the inn was always tranquil and peaceful. We booked a private hot tub and thoroughly enjoyed sitting up to our chins in the redwood tubs. We'll make sure to book another night or two next time we're in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BZNAK2011
Santa Rosa
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed in the Redwood Cottage which is on the other side of the highway. It was quiet. We had a lovely outside area that was fenced in with its own hot tub. The inside was charming. The bed was comfortable. A dehumidifer needs to run as the room does have some mold smell. The hot tub water was clean,however the bottom was sandy and the DVD player didn't work. The fireplace was the only heat source and might be on the chilly side if the weather was colder than 60.

Room Tip: Very quiet across the highway.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shanti108
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The place looks charming and I really love redwood tubs, so I went for it. The changing room was dirty and smelled bad. The sauna was hot but again, it smelled bad. That bothered me a bit, but I could have handled it. The worst thing was that the water in the tub appeared dirty, with lots of skin flakes and hair. I tried removing some of it with an old tool they keep in the room, but that was also dirty. I thought there would probably be enough chorine in the water to kill any bacteria, but I was wrong. One week later I developed hot tub pseudomonas, which is a skin infection that can occur when the level of chlorine in the water is not well controlled. It took me over two months of looking as if I had the measles from my waist down and two cycles of antibiotics to solve the problem. I went to a dermatologist to find out what was going on and I was told this can happen if the water is not changed often enough and if people do not scrub the inside of the tub and do not follow the proportions of chlorine required. Believe me, I thought hard before writing this review, because I am supportive of small businesses and I know everyone is hurting, but I feel that if they do not care about my health as a customer, perhaps they should not be in business.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Lonnie k
Oakland, California, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We started off here for a hot tub appt and ended up renting a room last minute due to our current hotel being horrible - the room we booked was the Mendocino View East. It was awesome. The staff here is great and the accommodations are top notch. We will definitely travel here again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#6 of 25 in Mendocino
Little River Inn
Little River Inn
#1 of 2 in Little River

Been to Sweetwater Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!