“Not fresh cooked breakfast”
Review of Sea Rock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Sea Rock Inn
Ranked #2 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 6, 2006

It's like any other Mendo Inn. Pricing range and comfort and aesthetics are the same as any other place out there. But the service is terrible. The breakfast is not freshly prepared or cooked. It's ready-made stuff. AND you have to pick uo your own plates to clean up your table.

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank naturelover007

A TripAdvisor Member
DC
Reviewed July 11, 2006

Reading some of the reviews here makes me think some travelers can never be satisfied. This place is first rate! We stayed in Cabin 4 which is angled toward the water and looks over the lawn and flower gardens - the view was amazing, and in some ways better than if we were just staring straight out at the water. The room was lovely and the staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating. While not the Ritz or the Four Seasons, I wouldn't go to Mendocino looking for either. The whole place is completely charming. The pictures on the web site are absolutely representative. The town is a great place to walk around, we found some good parks and restaurants, and the drive was unbelievably gorgeous. It's a great trip for a few days away.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2006

We stayed for two nights at the Sea Rock Inn following a conference in San Francisco. Mendocino is a great little town with a spectacular view!

We decided on Cottage 6 after reading reviews....mostly because it sounded more private and quiet. Our cottage was cozy (gas stove heats the room up quickly!) and clean. It does have a frontal view of the ocean although it is set toward the back of the property so you do look over the yard area and across the road. The only real negative is that it didn't have a tub which would have been great after some long hikes, but they're up front with the fact that it's a stall shower only in that cottage. Also, there is quite a bit of road noise during the day as the main road runs behind the property and Cottage 6 is in the back. Once the sun set, the road noise wasn't noticeable and did not bother us at all at night. If you want a true, full ocean view and want to stay in a cottage, I'd spend the extra money for #1. It's away from the main road and right up front by the water. Otherwise, I would say #2 and #3 which are listed as "partial' ocean views are just as good as #6 but cheaper....you just have to turn your chair 90 degrees as the front of these cottages face the north. If you just turn your deck chair to the west, the view is about the same.

Breakfast was pretty good. A few commented that it wasn't fancy enough......I really enjoyed it. They had more offerings than I could eat.....pastries, bagels, quiche, yogurt, toast, coffee, OJ, etc...

Staff were great! Very helpful with advice on hiking, dining and shopping. They made us feel very much welcomed.

We would stay there again......just on the outskirts of Mendocino, so it's quiet, and perched on one of the best spots I've ever seen. The view is breathtaking. No matter which accommodation you pick, you'll be glued to the view the whole time!

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank rtpac
Reviewed April 10, 2006

We stayed in Cabin 2 and thought it was just great. It's warm and cozy, the bathroom's modern and does not take away from the rustic decor. The linens are quite fabulous. We had a partial ocean view from the window but being so close to the water, it didn't matter to us, we were still lulled to bed by the waves at night - also, the tiny deck area outside of our cabin allowed for a gorgeous view and a great place to sit and read a book.

I will agree that the breakfast is quite bland. The quiche was not to my liking at all and the other selections included tasteless bagels, muffins, and some yogurt.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Overall we really enjoyed our stay. Also, I think in the cabins there is less likelihood of a noise issue and the nightly rate is more in my price range.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank sfbadvr
Reviewed December 6, 2005

The view from 15B is gorgeous, but we thought that the $245 + tax rate for a weekday in the off-season was out of line. The room was pleasant, but not out of the ordinary and the cold,self-serve breakfast buffet was very mundane. The walls are quite thin and the noise from the unit next door and above us was annoying. The tranqulity of the area is one of the selling points of Mendocino and that is not possible to enjoy, even if your neighbors are not boisterous. We would seek out a quieter place with a hot served breakfast for our next visit to Mendocino.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank countessjc
Reviewed October 19, 2005

If you want to splurge, this is a good place to do it. Not cheap, but great location. Unlike the majority of B&Bs in Mendocino, this one really IS virtually oceanfront because the ocean with whitewater is right across the road from the Inn. It was great to have the windows open and hear the waves crashing.

We stayed in the "junior suite #17" and were glad that we spent the extra money for an upper-level view. In the lower level rooms and the cottages, you have to look across the driveway and the road to see the ocean.

The room was nice, with leather chairs and a beautiful Franklin stove and a small deck in front.

My only disappointment was that the breakfast was not as luxurious as I would have expected for $259 per night: quiche, bagels, homemade cinnamon raisin toast, danishes, fresh fruit, and juice and coffee. Good, but not as deluxe as I would have thought for that amount of money.

7  Thank sfresident
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Just spent 3 nights at the Sea Rock and came away refreshed & rejuvenated. The view alone makes this place spectacular. I stayed in junior suite #18 which was great (2nd floor). I would recommend trying to get cabin #1, for the view and because you won't have to deal with the noise of neighbors - any time someone spoke in my building, I could hear it. The feather bed was wonderful though. I would agree the breakfast is below average - really just a continental breakfast.
Overall I would definitely go back - again, the view alone is worth it!

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank hotz113
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
Agate Cove Inn Hotel
Agate Cove Inn Hotel
#5 of 25 in Mendocino
Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Sea Rock Inn? Share your experiences!