Mendocino Farmhouse
$186
$86
$62
Groupon.com
Little River Inn(Little River)
$175
Heritage House Resort(Little River)(Great Value!)
$169
Hotels.com
Coast Inn & Spa(Fort Bragg)
$100
$80
Shoreline Cottages(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$129
Holiday Inn Express Fort Bragg(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$128
Surf Motel and Gardens(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$65
Emerald Dolphin Inn & Mini Golf(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$115
$100
Anchor Lodge Motel(Fort Bragg)
$65
  • Restaurant
All reviewsredwood forestfew minutes drivecountry livingb brelaxing staygrounds are beautifulcedarpeartownfrogshostshikingmuffins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 15, 2006

We arrived at the Mendocino Farmhouse several hours later than our planned mid to late afternoon arrival due to sightseeing along the way as we drove North from San Francisco along Highway 1. When we arrived at 9pm, we felt a somewhat tepid reception. My husband and two middle school aged children stayed at the Farmhouse for two evenings before we continued on to Ferndale. The Mendocino Farmhouse is a charming home. We were also invited (by another guest) to peek into the absolutely lovely cabin set among a very well-tended and beautiful garden across from the house. Our accommodations (two rooms) were fine. We enjoyed visiting with the household cat and dogs. We saw deer and generally soaked in the majesty of the redwoods that surround the Farmhouse. As mentioned, we didn't feel a strong "welcome" vibe and definitely had a bit of a problem with the two breakfasts served: pesto scrambled eggs one morning; burnt orange pancakes the next. I don't think these items are particularly appealing to a child's palate, but then again, I don't think children (in my case, a very well behaved 11 and 13 year old) are the Mendocino Farmhouse's target audience. We didn't ask for, and weren't offered any suggestions on sightseeing in the area but were delighted to run into a fellow Farmhouse guest in Mendocino Village who told us about glass beach (which he had been told about by the innkeeper). This guest also handed us his $1 off an ice cream token also given to he and his party (all of whom were adults), (but not given to us) by the innkeeper. We are particularly grateful to this guest who provided us with an exceptional experience at glass beach. Without his input, we would never had discovered this treasure! We stayed at glass beach until sunset and collected an amazing assortment of ocean-polished glass.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank Maryandfamily
Reviewed August 10, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed three nights in Elizabeth's Room at the Mendocino Farmhouse in July. It is a wonderful place: quiet, clean, tastefully decorated. Breakfasts were a treat. The dogs are beautiful and friendly. We felt very much at home. Margie was very kind and helpful. When my girlfriend and I had to travel separately on one day, Margie even lent us her mobile phone because we only had one with us. We both recommend staying at this inn.

1  Thank Homburger
Reviewed August 3, 2006

Needing a getaway, we went to the Mendocino Farmhouse. Flowers are abundant, dogs and cat treat you like family, and Margie, the proprietor, is friendly and serves great breakfasts. The house is 30 years old and has an old world home feel with its antique furniture and hardwood floors in the main house and rooms.

For the price, however, a few things bothered us:

1) Sheets are not changed for additional night(s)
2) Dust ruffle on bed- filthy on the bottom
3) Carpet on the stairs old and dirty
4) Coffee is as good as sanka (in room)
5) Cream for the coffee was not replenished
6) No bubble bath soaps (a must for a romantic B&B!)

As a result, we'd rather pay more and stay elsewhere...

Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank globaltravel
A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We stayed at the farmhouse recently, in The Cedar Room. If you are looking for romance get one of the cabins. They are lovely with access to a perfect garden. We loved the whole vibe including the dogs and cats. We especially fell in love with Bunny, the country kitty. We felt very cozy and happy in our little cabin and loved the claw foot tub. Everything felt updated and not worn out even in the midst of country living. My compliants would be the lack of ducks and the murky pond. We also felt the Margie, the owner seemed a little distant and not very open to us and that troubled us a bit since we really wanted to connect. I've read about Bessie the inn keeper on these postings and i don't believe she was present for our trip. Food was pretty good but the second day my pancakes where burnt and the cream for the coffee seemes to curdle a bit. But now I'm just nit-picking...This a beautuiful spot for a low-key get away. We actually really loved the location and the cabin and the cat!

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
kitchencook, Margie owner/innkeeper at Mendocino Farmhouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2006

Wow! I'm kind of stunned at this review. For the most part it was very complimentary and that makes me happy. As far as my interaction with my guests, I try to 'connect' with everyone, but I must have missed it with this couple and I apologize for their disappointment.
As to the pancakes; " I certainly never intended to cook my Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes too long - they are so good and so popular. (I guess now that I'm a new Grandma I need to start wearing my glasses in the kitchen! ) Bunny and I hope to have the pleasure of serving this couple again."

A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed May 28, 2006

Took the lady to this B&B this weekend after reading the reviews on this site, so I had high expectations. I'd also spent much of the past few weeks (for work) at a Ritz-Carlton and two Four Seasons locations, with those experiences fresh in my mind. I wouldn't compare those hotels to this B&B, since those were for business travel, and here I was seeking something pretty, charming, relaxing, and romantic. The Mendocino Farmhouse met my high expectations and was probably the best romantic weekend I've had in my time in California. I'm happy with my decision to stay there.

Its in the middle of the woods about a mile and a half from town, on a good-size property, lots of privacy, a few acres of cleared garden surrounded by redwoods. There were a couple times that several deer visited the lawn. The dogs and cats were cute and playful, and we could hear the frogs at night from our room (Jim's). The room was very clean and the pre-built kindling in the fireplace was a nice touch. Though you could hear sometimes when people were walking around the house, sound wasn't an issue since the rooms upstairs dont border directly, and we didn't hear anyone else in their rooms nor did we feel like we lacked privacy. Only six rooms total, so very personal experience.

Overall, its romantic but not lavish or wasteful, and the price reflects this. I'd come back here and recommend it to my colleagues as well. If you only stay at the Four Seasons, you may crave amenities that this (or any) B&B does not have, but for us this was not at all an issue. The lady was quite happy that the cell phone and blackberry didn't get coverage.

As far as local advice goes, avoid the Chevron in Mendocino, which doesn't clearly post its prices except right on the pump so they try to get you for 60 cents/gallon more than the market rate. We filled up in Ft. Bragg on our way back from a sunset picnic on the beach right next to hwy 1 about 5-10 minutes north of Ft. Bragg. Also enjoyed visiting the North Coast Brewing Company restaurant up there, lots of tasty brews. We also had a great dinner at 955 Ukiah in Mendocino. Shannon, our waitress, was great and very tolerant of our tourist ignorance. Try the wilted greens salad, and its actually big enough to share. Good selection of local wines and beers too.

In summary, if you're looking for a romantic weekend, the Mendocino Farmhouse fits the bill very nicely. I recommend it strongly.

• Stayed: May 2006