We had a nice two night stay at Headlands Inn. Mendocino has such gorgeous scenery. However, I found the general area not as welcoming to tourists as other parts of California. One of the exceptions to our experience was at the inn, where the innkeepers were so friendly and kind.
Room- Our room was small but really comfortable. We stayed in Annie's Room, which is a great bargain, though do keep in mind the bathroom is not exactly ensuite. A door from the hallway (which locks with a push latch) with a frosted glass window leads into a little vestibule with two doors, one to the bedroom and one to the bathroom. You can't lock the hallway door upon leaving the room, only your bedroom door. This wasn't an issue as there weren't strangers wandering the corridors, but just keep it in mind. If you are looking for more privacy, I wouldn't book this particular room.
Location- The location is wonderful, just a few minutes walk from all the cute shops and restaurants Mendocino has.
Breakfast- This is my kind of B&B in terms of breakfast. It is brought right to your room on a tray. It was a little hard to wait till almost 9 to eat but it was worth it. Coffee, tea, juice, a fruit dish, and either a sweet or savory main course, all served on beautiful china. The innkeepers clearly take a lot of pride in this breakfast and it shows.
Privacy- As with most B&Bs, the walls are very thin. Our second night's sleep was interrupted at about 11:30 PM by a (presumably) drunken couple staying in the room above us. For two straight hours, they had an X-rated screaming fight, complete with what sounded like large pieces of furniture being moved around the room, which was followed by an hour of the LOUDEST snoring I have ever heard in my life. It was really awful. In retrospect, I guess I should have called the innkeepers, though I'm not sure what would have been done, since you sort of sign on for the risk of incorrigible neighbors when you book a B&B.
Overall- Though we will probably not be making a repeat trip to Mendocino, I would recommend this inn if you are in the area. Just pray our rambunctious neighbors don't come back to disturb you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Headlands Inn is a distinctive Bed and Breakfast in the heart of picturesque, coastal Mendocino village. Casual elegance awaits you at this historic New England-style Victorian saltbox, where personalized service, charming accommodations, and tantalizing breakfasts ensure a perfect getaway! Ideally located, the Inn is only a short stroll to Mendocino's wonderful shops, galleries, restaurants, and the mighty Pacific Ocean. Come to relax, to reconnect, to celebrate -- Come and fall in love with Mendocino, and the Headlands Inn! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Headlands Inn Bed And Breakfast
- Headlands Hotel Mendocino