“Not worth the money, and I usually love this kind of food”
Review of Raven's Restaurant

Raven's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Raven's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 24 Restaurants in Mendocino
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Sebastopol, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the money, and I usually love this kind of food”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I rarely feel moved to write a negative review. However, though I have enjoyed some fine vegetarian food in restaurants, often eat vegan, and often enjoy raw foods done well, I have rarely thought that what I could throw together at home would be better than what I would eat in a restaurant at this price point. Ordered an expensive philo dough wrapped seaweed that was overcooked and flavorless, except that it came with a wasabi raspberry sauce that just didn't work all together. The ravioli I thought had potential, but the dough was thick and overcooked, and the sauce was anything but delicate. The dessert came too cold for the flavors to be noticeable or enjoyable. They need to spend some time at Ubuntu, or frankly any high end restaurant into which one could walk and say "make me a really great plate of vegetables". The food at Mendocino Cafe was fresh and far more delicate and flavorful. Don't fall for the health food gimmick here. I hope they get it together because it is a really nice setting.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank veronique577

Berkeley, California
“Some restaurants have roving Gypsy violinists, the Raven's has a roving nutritionist”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We give this a qualified 5 star rating. Some of the dishes could, albeit with minor tweaking, grace the tables of the top SF Bay area restaurants like Gary Danko and Chez Panisse. Other dishes [my wife wouldn't let me write what I wanted to say here] were less so... So, we recommend that you ask pointed questions about each of the menu items before ordering. The bread and baked items like pizzetta are gluten free or nearly so, and thus not to everyone's taste. Similarly, the agave-sweetened chocolate was a glaringly unexpected taste. Coffee was excellent, espresso was marginal.

The house nutritionist/kitchen manager stopped by each table during dinner talking about vegan cuisine and the various dishes. He was extremely knowledgeable about many aspects of the cuisine and conversant in the biochemistry behind the cooking, food preparation, and food selection process.

• Visited September 2011
Claremont, California
“Excellent! One of the best vegetarian restaurants ever”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Raven's is a high-end, vegetarian restaurant. Their menu, from what we understood, changes seasonally since they grow a lot of their vegetables on their own, organic-certified farm which is located right on the premises. Raven's is part of the Stanford Inn Eco-lodge, a lovely place to stay if you are on the Northern California Coast. The food, the service, and the atmosphere were all excellent. You can view the ocean, the river, and the gardens and farm on the premises from the restaurant, which makes for a unique dining experience. We tried a number of dishes, and everything was really well great, from the appetizers, to the main course, to the desserts, to the wine. Even if you are not a vegan or vegetarian, you should try it out just to experience excellent vegetarian food in a unique and beautiful setting.

• Visited September 2011
Fresno, California
“Wow!”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband and i ate here and were extremely pleased on every level!!!

We were able to have a table w/a view of the ocean. It is a relaxing and quiet environment.

The menu is incredible, with vegetarian and vegan cuisine. The entire "wait" staff (server, hostess, those who bussed tables, etc.) worked as a team. One guage of service for me is if I need to ask for water; I am a big water drinker and no other beverage. Well, I never had to ask for water and my husband's coffee cup was watched carefully and coffee offered (and soooo graciously offered!) at appropriate times.

The chef even sent out a complimentery appetizer - which was incredible! Each bite of our meal was a bite to savor. My husband had their soup du jour and their "tacos" - The soup was wonderful and very full bowl. The vegan tacos were incredible - to be honest, I am not a taco person (in any format!) and these were delicious - I'd even order them. I had a salad for dinner and it was wonderful (grilled peach salad).
During the meal a gentleman was going table to table talking w/diners. We had no idea who he was; we knew by his attire he wasn't th chef. When he came to our table, we learned he was the nutritionist!!! How special is that. I'd have loved to have chatted w/him for quite a time. During our visit I asked if the chef shared recipes. "Yes' - and with that I asked for the herbed cashew cheese recipe. (All of the dinner was great - but . . that was one thing very different than I'd ever had and wanted to be able to dupicate that.)

I actually do gourmet desserts at home and we very rarely (almost never!) find a dessert out that we like. well, we ordered the sampler plate here and the desserts were wonderful!!!!! (Choc. ganache pie, lemon tart, and strawberry sorbet.)

The only "glitch" of our evening was when we were told what was on the sampler plate, we were told about the choc. ganache pie, lemon tart and lime coconut cheesecake. As shared above, we got the first two items, but . . . when the server (who was VERY nice, so pleasant and had a "can do" attitude about everything, served the sampler plate, she said the strawberry sorbet was part of it - not the cheesecake.

We truly felt this was handled poorly - we should have been told about the "change" (or error - whatever it was) BEFORE it was delivered to our table. We were asked after it was put down if it was "OK" - what were we to do at that point? We had ordered the sampler plate as specialty cheesecakes is one of my "things" I do at home - We didn't want to make a scene, but . . felt that this incident was inappropriate and out of character for the caliber of the restuarant. (As shared, we should have been asked if it was OK before it was delivered, and if she had shared the selections on the sampler plate in error - the establishment still could have honored it.)

It was a wonderful dinner - when traveling and in the area again, we will eat here. (We had actually eaten here several times when here 4 years ago - sometimes it was super and other tmes not. There seems to have been improvements made.)

• Visited July 2011
San Francisco, CA
“Flavorful and creative vegan food”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Even if you aren't vegetarian you'll love this place. The food was very flavorful and healthy, the wide list good, the staff friendly and professional, and the dining room light and calm. It's not cheap, but the food and service are high quality, so you get what you pay for.