“Horses were the stars”
Review of Ross Ranch

Ross Ranch
Ranked #12 of 26 things to do in Mendocino
More attraction details
Owner description: This 11 acre ranch rents out horses for beach and mountain trails.
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family went on the 2 hour forest ride. The guide rode in front, we all followed. We are all pretty inexperienced and found that it was pretty easy going. The horses were so well behaved that I did not feel like I had to do much at all to keep up with the guide. The guide was knowledgeable and friendly. The forest trail was on private land and so we were the only people there. The horses were all saddled and ready to go the moment we arrived.

Practical points - there is a porta-potty at the start/finish, but nothing else.

Tip - combine this with a walk around the Hendy woods park which is just a few miles away - great redwoods and a nice clear FLAT trail!

1  Thank Nina E
All reviews
"horseback ride on the beach"
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews
"texted"
"tempered"

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We spent Memorial Day weekend up in Mendocino and spent a lovely morning horseback riding down at the Ross Ranch which is about 40 minutes south of town (near Manchester). John was our guide, and he did an excellent job in getting my fiance and I (novice riders) saddled up and took us on about a 2 hour ride down on the beach. The weather was gorgeous and the scenery was spectacular... everything you'd want out of horseback riding on the beach... pretty much right out of a Hollywood movie. It was very professionally managed, and even as beginner riders we didn't feel unsafe or overwhelmed by doing the actual 'riding' ourselves. Strongly recommended, and we would definitely hit their Redwoods ride the next time we're in town.

1  Thank Zaknafein
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Toby and her daughter took me, my wife and our 2 children on a ride on Manchester Beach.

They were incredibly friendly, chatting to us throughout the ride and Manchester Beach was beautiful... seals could be seen in the surf watching us ride along.

Would have given this a 5/5 but we managed to choose the one rainy day and the rating is my experience rather than a reflection on Ross Ranch... they were excellent.

1  Thank Carl P
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Ross Ranch is a family run operation offering beach and forest rides. My wife and I opted for the beach experience as we have recently ridden in the forest north of Eureka. John (owner) led the ride. We were joined by a friendly couple from SF. After exchanging pleasantries, receiving instruction and filling out some paperwork, we mounted up and headed toward the beach via a somewhat steep bluff. Upon descending, we were on our way up Manchester Beach heading north. John was very friendly and talkative throughout the ride although safety is priority one. Some may take his safety comments as rather harsh but it's about providing the customer with a safe and secure riding experience. All in all, it was a great ride regardless of the wet weather conditions. Kudos to John and Ross Ranch.

1  Thank mrwilli1953
See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2011

On our trip up to Northern California we had the pleasure of taking a two hour horse back ride along the beach with the beautiful horses of Ross Ranch. It was so gorgeous. We were very excited that our daughter would be able to go along with us because their minimum age was only 6. Most places we looked into were 8 years old. It is a little pricey for a family of 4, (about 60 dollars a person) but when all was said and done completely worth the money. . My daughter still talks about it, so I know she had a great time. It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip up north.

2  Thank Tmil17