“Wonderful experience!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in McCloud
Pacifica, CA
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed August 9, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in 2006 when they were having problems with food service at breakfast. They have really gotten their act together since then! We really enjoyed our breakfasts each of the 3 mornings were were there this week. Twice breakfast was served in our room and once we ate in the hotel's lovely garden. The food was great and plentiful.
One of the highlights of my summer was sitting on the front porch of the hotel sipping wine and watching the Shasta Dinner Train leave the station across the street (we had just returned from an excursion ride on the train). You know a vacation has been a success when you get that wonderful "Life is Good" feeling.
The rooms were tastefully furnished with antiques but had modern amenities such as air conditioning and great plumbing. The staff was friendly and shared great stories about the area. We found a lot to do in the area and we were surprised at how uncrowded it was compared to Yosemite. The sky was clear and unsmokey. The water at the nearby lakes was clear and cool. I think we will skip Yosemite again next year and come here again! We are already picking the room we want and deciding what we want to do.
Another reviewer mentioned a lot of noise. We stayed in two different rooms and never noticed ANY noise, not even plumbing noise (which always seems to transfer between walls). We didn't notice any noise in 2006 either so perhaps it was an isolated incident.

• Liked — I love historic hotels but I need air condioning and good plumbing too!
  • Disliked — I liked eveything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wendycat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
California
Reviewed December 2, 2006

We spent Thanksgiving night at the McCloud Hotel. Our room was right next door to the kitchen, and the wall was so thin we could hear the staff talking and joking as they worked in the kitchen and people talking in the hall on the other side of the bathroom. The crowning blow, however, was the swinging kitchen door which meant every time someone needed to go into the kitchen he/she had to yell "Door!" so no one would exit the door and hit them in the head. We had reservations for Thanksgiving dinner and the portions were very generous, but the quality was mediocre. I, unfortunely became ill (nothing to do with the food) and had to leave the table, so my husband and daughter finished their meal, but were rushed through their eating so the staff could go home "to be with their families." A room this close to a noisy kitchen should never be rented in a pricey B&B.

• Liked — The games in the lobby
  • Disliked — The location of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — Be careful about your room location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Jessmom
Austin, TX
Reviewed November 5, 2006

I cannot give a full review of this property as I have not been there. However, it seemed that it would be a delightful place to stay based on evaluations and other information, so I made a reservation for 7/07. That's 9 months from now!

Within a couple of weeks I determined that another location was a better fit for me so cancelled the reservation. While I agreed to the cancellation fees, I want to warn others of what I think is truly an unreasonble policy. I was charged $25 for holding the room for a couple of weeks. I had not so much as even received my confirmation notice by the time I cancelled. It would seem to me to be very unlikely that this room will not be rented because of my few weeks of holding it. It just seems to me to be a big rip off to charge that kind of fee when the reservation is that far out. I can certainly understand a two week to even two month cancellation charge but nine months? So if you happen to have any chance that you might want or need to cancel, even if months in advance, be aware.

Stayed October 2006
Modesto, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2006

I tried calling the hotel on 8/15/06 to inquire about a room on 8/16/06 and was told that they had three available. At no time during the discussion, which lasted several minutes, was it ever mentioned that their "Bed & Breakfast" would just be a "Bed" and "No Breakfast" because their chef had quit some time back. Since I was driving up from Modesto and wasn't sure what time I'd arrive I decided not to make a reservation at that time. When I arrived the next evening they had no vacancies but when I learned they had no dining either due to their chef having quit some time ago I was glad I hadn't booked a room. I drove on to Medford, OR. I think AAA needs to remove one of its diamonds from this "four diamond" rated hotel. By the way, we ate at the place just across hwy 89 that another reviewer also ate at. My wife also had the chicken marsala dish and I had salmon. Both were extraordinarily good and amazingly cheap. I think I know where the McCloud Hotel's chef might be working now!

Stayed July 2006
7 Thank jjeppson
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2006

It seems that everyone who stays in McCloud either takes the dinner train or uses the site as a base for exploring the McCloud Falls or, further afield, Burney Falls. Certainly one or two overnights are fine to accomplish this. Because of its high rating (4 diamonds), we booked a deluxe room on the second floor, overlooking one of the many English style gardens. The inn's own web site will show you all the available rooms and you can make reservations on that basis. Blending into its English setting, the inn provides the frilly and frumpy amenities that evoke this type of atmosphere, and for the most part it succeeds. There are no TV's, radios, or hairdryers in the rooms, although noisy air-conditioning and a ceiling fan provide some relief from hot days. And that is fine--provided that there be a decent restaurant in town.

We called and booked at the end of March for two nights on June 20 and 21, 2006. Since their web site mentions a fine dining room on the premises, we naturally expected to be able to linger over a nice meal. It was quite hot that afternoon when we checked in and were relieved that the lobby was cool (not cold). But you can imagine our surprise (shock, really) when we were told that the chef had left over a month before. When were they planning on notifying guests?? "We sent out a notice two days ago." Yes, and we left before it had arrived. To compound our misery, everything else was closed! Yes, we could drive 12 miles to Mt. Shasta and back. We were certainly taken aback not so much that the chef left, but that no attempt had been made to notify us in a timely (i.e. reasonable) manner. When we checked out, we expected a 10% discount for both nights (an automobile club discount) as the staff said this was standard. We were again surprised to find out that since we stayed over on a Thursday night, this constituted a week-end and therefore there would be no discount.

So although the gardens are very nice and provide ample sitting areas and the rooms attractive and quaint, we would probably stay elsewhere, certainly somehwere that offers no unpleasant surprises.

9 Thank M-man11
Bandon, OR & Los Barriles, MX
Reviewed July 24, 2006

We searched for a very nice place to stay about 1/2 way between Bandon, OR and So. Lake Tahoe, CA. McCloud is about that spot. The McCloud B&B Hotel was lovingly restored in 1993 and opened in 1995 by the present owner, Lee Ogden and his wife Marilyn, who is now deceased. It is easy to see that they put a ton of money and love into that restoration. It was a delight with its clean, friendly and quaint environment. Live music, wine and appetizers in the evening.

We had room 211, one of the "best front suites" and it was VERY spacious, nicely furnished, large private bath, separate jacuzzi (yeah!) and separate large shower.

They no longer serve dinner (or maybe just at this time of year) but we had a wonderful inexpensive meal at the River Grill across Hwy 89 from the Hotel. Family run, no smoking, pool, bar and the chicken marsala was WOW! and was only $12.95 or so. Jordan was our waitress, helping her Mom out in the summer and her service was very attentive and excellent. They also rent cabins there.

We missed the timing on the dinner train but sounds like it would be a blast. Check before going as to scheduled run times.

We give the McCloud B&B Hotel and the River Grill 2 thumbs up!

• Liked — Very spacious and clean
  • Disliked — no view
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chica
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2005

We just stayed a couple of days in McCloud. The area is quite beautiful with wonderful hikes and scenery and the town is very quaint and tiny - not too much to see there although it's pleasant to walk around. There are a few shops in the historic district but often closed. The hotel is very lovely - with large spacious rooms and good service. The breakfasts were delicious however we were very disappointed with the dinners at their in-house restaurant. The setting is great (especially outside when it's warm enough to eat outside) but the food (based on one nite and two entrees) was covered with not very good sauce - rather unsophisticated. But it wouldn't stop up from staying there again - there are always other places to eat. Really a wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCloud
McCloud Mercantile Hotel
Comfort Inn Mount Shasta Area
McCloud River Inn
McCloud River Inn
#1 of 3 in McCloud

Been to McCloud Hotel? Share your experiences!