“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stoney Brook Inn

Stoney Brook Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCloud
Stoney Brook Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 McCloud B&B and Inns
Oregon
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a lovely location..both the inn itself and the incredible views of Mt Shasta behind. Very centrally located in McCloud.Currently it feels rather rundown, but with just a few improvements, this Inn could be really lovely...Replacing he stained carpets in hallways and room would be one suggestion. We never got hot water from 2nd floor shower during our 3 night stay. As others have noted, however, the place is (generally) clean and breakfasts are good, and the hosts are friendly and hospitable. We had a room with a sink which was just fine for us (plenty of hot water in the sink, so we couldn't figure out why there was none in the shower!!). Am not sure if I would choose to stay there again, hence the title of my review is "mixed feelings".

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Hiromi made me feel just like a guest at her home. One evening I had a flat tyre whilst exploring in the woods; I was lost and there were roaming bears around. When I eventually got back late at night she cooked me a hot meal as there were no restaurants open. That's real hospitality.
The B&B is a little old sure, but it has its charms and for the reasonable price you get a small yet cosy room and lovingly prepared breakfast.
If your visiting Mt Shasta, McCloud and other surrounding towns are not too far by car and you get to experience old fashioned atmosphere and hospitality

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kytt
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Negative comments in the prior Trip Advisor reviews caused me to veer away from reserving at the Stoney Brook Inn. My Japanese wife overruled me, since the Inn is run by Japanese who are interested in spirituality. She thought we should support the Inn by staying there.

The Inn is a former boarding house constructed in 1924 for male lumber industry employees. As a result, the interior of the Inn resembles (surprise, surprise) the interior of a boarding house. This is not a bad thing, but if you are expecting something else (e.g., an atmosphere like the inside of someone's home), I can see why you might come away with a negative reaction. I rather liked the Inn because it is an authentic slice of yesteryear (slightly chronologically jumbled). There were architectural fixtures and features that transported me back to my childhood in the 1950s/1960s. That is to say, then there were hotels that had been constructed in the 1920s and 1930s without much renovation that I came to know then, and here were the same wall surfaces and fixtures that I remembered from hotels of that era. The hallway light fixtures came directly from 1963--I had not seen them since my I left my childhood home, where we had exactly the same shades on the lights. I don't think the Inn was dirty or falling apart--it is just authentically old (few pseudo-historical articles). In our room, it was clear to see how the bathroom was an addition to the room, very likely constructed after 1924. Prior to the construction of the bathroom, the room must have been fairly good-sized. With the addition of the bathroom, the room was a little on the small side. The bathroom in our room--well, it was not dirty, but it was old (maybe from the 1940s?), and there was an issue with the hot water in the shower (just as one other reviewer noted). Mostly, though, the nostalgic effect overcame the drawbacks.

The breakfast was fine...nothing remarkable, but by no means bad.

The management and staff were pleasant. There were several Japanese guests in the Inn, as expected. My guess is that they were attracted to the Inn by the Japanese management. The Japanese guests seemed content with the Inn.

I could have checked "poor", "average", "very good" or "excellent" for this Inn--it all depends on how you look at the experience. My wife was content because she thought that the Inn had a positive Far Eastern/New Age spiritual vibe. To me, that vibe was scarcely noticeable. I thought it had an old fashioned atmosphere. I liked it well enough. It is not a luxury establishment, but it is also not as bad as some of the prior reviews had caused me to fear. Be ready to tolerate some imperfections for the retro-atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Andlovingit
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

The other reviews accurately describe the conscientious and friendly host, the tiny but clean rooms, the delicious breakfasts, but there is something else going on here that is harder to describe: the place has a heart. I tried the large hotel down the street with its new and more luxurious accommodations, but keep coming back to Stoney Brook for its spirit and energy.

The aesthetics and proportions of the buildings and grounds contribute to this, plus the diversity and number of guests is on a human scale, adding up a peaceful, 'knowing' feel that is more worldly, European, than one expects in the USA. Even being a bit worn around the edges somehow contributes to this by giving it character.

Stoney Brook is definitely more than the sum of its parts. The place has soul.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank dianamontana2
Redding, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

This place is falling apart and dirty. Coffee is lousy and served in styrofoam cups. The jacuzzi jets do not work, but we were not told this when we made the reservation. The bed was uncomfortable. The breakfast was good, but this is the first time I have stayed at a B&B where the owner did not eat with the guests. She was outside on the phone while we had breakfast. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jenhikes12
Bloomington, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

My room at the Stoney Brook Inn was--well, "intimate" would be a nice word for it. I was on the second floor; I think perhaps some of the first-floor rooms are a little more spacious. Still, I had all I needed to sleep comfortably. The hosts were friendly, the hot tub and sauna were nice, and breakfasts were outstanding (a good thing, as there don't seem to be many other good restaurant options in McCloud). The wireless internet seemed to be acting a bit flaky during my stay, and it sometimes took considerable patience to get hot water from the shower.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Quadrivium59
Benicia, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

First the positive... the prices are very reasonable. However, I was a bit disappointed with the overall experience.

The Inn is located in central McCloud, which is fairly meaningless unless you are there to ride the train. Otherwise, not much else is happening here. There are few stores. If you enjoy peace and quiet, then you are in luck.

When driving up to the Inn, you will notice that the perpendicular street parking spaces seem to have been painted by someone spatially challenged. No car could fit between the lines, so as a results cars park even less efficiently than if there had been no lines. A minor point, I admit.

During our stay, there was a very peculiar odor throughout the inn. While not over whelming, it was still objectionable. I decided it was either caused by the cleaning products used, or by old age of the place. Everything was very clean, but was also very worn. Maybe this is what some bed and breakfast establishments are all about, but it was my first experience with one at this level.

The room I had (room 19) was extremely small. The double bed barely had room to move around it. A small table (night stand?) on one side had no lamp or clock, and, in fact, did not have an outlet available. In fact, there was only one outlet in the entire room and it was being used for a lamp and fan on the dresser. There was no TV (certainly not a necessity). A plus was the ceiling fan. The room was warm (on a warm day) so it was nice to have two windows, though only one would stay open. The lock on the door was a bit difficult to work, and could trap someone elderly.

The bathroom was very tiny, with no good place to put your incidentals when using the sink. The shower was decent, but very dark. The toilet was an older design that took ages to flush, and used a great deal of water in doing so.

Breakfast was very good. Fresh fruit and pancakes, with a wonderful berry syrup. No complaints here.

There is an asian feel throughout the Inn, including lots of Japanese guests. This was explained when I ate breakfast and found it served by a Japanese couple (I assume the owners).

All in all, the experience as nothing special, and I would not choose the inn again. There are a huge number of Bed and Breakfast places in McCloud, and all look better maintained. Next time I will spend the money for a nicer place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BeniciaTravelor
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCloud
McCloud Mercantile Hotel
#1 of 3 in McCloud
Mount Shasta Resort
Mount Shasta Resort
#3 of 9 in Mount Shasta

Been to Stoney Brook Inn? Share your experiences!