“Beautiful view, good fish and seafood”

Nick's Cove Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Marshall
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tomales-Petaluma Road
Description: Nick's Cove, an historic restaurant located on the gorgeous shores of Tomales Bay, offers local, fresh and sustainable food that is tasteful and simply prepared. Our wine list also features treasures from local wine-makers as well as wines both organic and conventional from New Zealand, France and Spain. For complete menu details and wine selections consult our website at www.nickscove.com. Don't forget to take a peek at our 12 beautifully restored cottages! We accept OpenTable dollars in the hotel as well as the restaurant.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have been to Nick's Cove for lunch several times in the last few months, both with out-of-town guests and business colleagues. Everyone loves it. The view of Tomales Bay is spectacular. The food is very good with lots of local contributions from fish to goat meat to cheese. The side dishes are especially good -- I like the frito misto -- and I usually have the Dungeness Crab salad, which is one of the best. Others like the fish and chips, chowder and crab cakes. There is a good wine list and a full bar with good beer on tap and good Bloody Mary's. The drive there is through beautiful countryside.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Had lunch here again, stopped here my last trip to the area 2 years ago also. It is just very convenient when I am picking up oysters from Hog Island Oyster Farm. I don't remember what I had the last time, but this time I wanted some crab since this would probably be the only chance this trip. I settled on the Crab Benedict, it was outstanding, not a strong crab flavor, which would have been nice, but an excellent melding of flavors. I also had the Truffled Garlic Fries, and they were very good also. Not a budget place, the total was $54 with a pot of tea. In nice weather you can sit outside by the bay.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

When my friends told me that we were going to West Marin for mac - n - cheese I was incredulous! However, up for the adventure and loving the drive over to the coast I was up for whatever they had in mind. It was a cold and blustery day as we pulled into Nick's Cove. The fireplace was cozy warm, the place was a buzz with patrons. We ended up with a seat near the full windows overlooking Tomales Bay. My friends ordered a plate of oysters with a trio of sauces; then a salad of local heirloom tomatoes which we all shared. Finally the mac-n-cheese with crab appeared with a golden crust on top. It was divine, worth every minute of the wait, drive. Nick's Cove is not inexpensive, it is West Marin, of course...however, everything is impeccible...service, quality, and yes, the mac-n-cheese. I invite you to go ahead, indulge yourself in the comfort....

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just touring through our home! We found a huge Anatolin Sheperd wandering around in the road, and didn't want it to destroy the big rig who might hit it. I always pick up lost dogs... i think my count is 15 in my lifetime. I always will. It's just a thing.

So I get this 200 sweet beast into the back of my truck, and head up the road to Nick's for a phone call and drink (cell phones don't work out that way, which I am normally a big fan of).

The staff at Nick's is so helpful, and friendly. They let us use the phone, resolve the lost dog issue, wait for the owner, etc. They couldn't be nicer, and the quaint aspect of this fantastic little spot with the nicest people gets it 4 stars. They lose one because of the rote styling of their food... relatively bland on all accounts.

If you look back at my last 1000 reviews or so, you will note I eat Oyster's almost daily, and the ones we ordered here were awful... tasted old, and were shucked poorly with endless shell throughout. It was a rare, disappointing, Oyster experience... especially for that area. I never would have thought that could happen.

A beefeater martini up is $13, and when they served the gibson with martinis instead of olives she simply put her fingers in my drink to switch out the olive for onions. Eww. It's fine. It's booze. Drink it up. But eww. I don't even let *MY FINGERS* go in my own drink.

Bloody Mary was fine... not the best but more reasonably priced. The chowder was bland and flavorless, sorry to say. But that might be me... I like it zesty. The crab cake was delicious tho... we were both happy with it. The service was a little off, but we were in an afternoon dead zone on a lazy Sunday. We were left alone for quite a long time, and other people sat after us got served before us....

but what can you say? the situation of this place is so adorable, the drive is so epic, and the people are so friendly and helpful... i can't help but want to love this place. Love it though? That may take some time.

1  Thank OnlineConcierge
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Nick's menu is quintessential wharf with a creative spin (both food and drinks). Very fresh and tasty! Walk their pier to the little guest shack. The day we visited was foggy and rainy and their fireplace was roaring -- absolutely perfect!