“Wish it Could Be A Zero”

Tony's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Marshall
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Three words: Expensive Lousy Food. First time in my life I've ever had clam chowder that tasted like plain milk with a few undercooked potato chunks and a few small clams in it. Absolutely no seasoning or vegetables at all in the soup. I added salt and pepper just to flavor the milk. Yuk! Tried the barbecued oysters, half were under-cooked (that's 3 out of six). The salad was nothing exceptional either. $50 dollars later and literally a bad taste in the mouth. We had to buy a candy bar to get the taste out of our mouths.

3  Thank Mark C

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Tony's was exactly what we were looking for- an authentic, right on Highway One overhanging Tomales Bay, old-style seafood restaurant. BBQ oysters brought to our table by a smiling older gentleman who seemed very happy to be there, and a classic oyster sandwich with fries was excellent. Great views of the bay!

1  Thank 115re
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We've been coming here for many years for the BBQ oysters. We've never been disappointed. Usually all we get are oysters and sourdough bread - a great combination.

The last time we stopped there I saw cioppino on the menu and, being on a hunt for a good cioppino in the Bay Area, decided to try it. I was very pleasantly surprised! It was full of clams, mussels, scallops and shrimp, and happily not overcooked. The sauce was not quite as complex as it would be ideally, but that was compensated for by the lack of overcooked mushy fish so common in many versions.

My husband said his oysters were among the best he's had there, but his decision to try their clam chowder was not one he'll repeat. It was too thick with flour and lacking in flavor.

I've never had any of the other fish dishes there, so can't comment on those. The salad is unremarkable, usually iceberg or mixed lettuce with a couple of slices of other veggies. So I will say that the four-star rating is based on our limited experience of the menu. But you can't go wrong with the BBQ oysters or the cioppino, if you're into that kind of food! And the setting is fun - a rather run-down shack with killer views of Tomales Bay. Prices are on the high side, but common for seafood in the Bay Area.

1  Thank margie1928
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I've driven by Tony's many times over several decades. It's only open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, so on this trip to West Marin we made it a point to eat dinner there--stopping by an ATM first since it's a cash-only business.

The atmosphere, which we liked, was like a casual, East coast fish shack, right on the water. Our server was friendly, helpful and prompt. So far, so good. Then came the food, Ugh. Bland, flavorless and way overpriced for what you get.

I apologized to my husband for steering us there. We won't be back.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Love local finds - this appeared to be it from the outside. Fri late lunch 2pm. About 6 tables full in restaurant of 25 tables. Menu looked good, lots of choices. Had to wait for table to be cleaned. Server who cleaned table was friendly, but we were not in her station. Took about 7 mins for us to be acknowledged by our server, after the friendly server prompted her. Food was decent, but overpriced. Cioppino good, cracked crab was not done well, so lots of shell fragments. BBQ oysters not as good as they claim - very tomato-saucy. Our server had to be flagged down many times because she was eating at bar in front of whole restaurant & frequently laying head down on bar. Very bratty, put out attitude - Weird. Would no go back or recommend. Better choices as you head north on Hwy 1.