“Busy lively bar, poor restaurant”

Wolf Creek Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We ate here on a Saturday night when the bar was busy and lively but the restaurant was fairly quiet - maybe we now know why.

Service was very average and there was a mix up with wine but no biggy. We ordered ribs and I had a soup with mine. I should have realised that we'd have fun when I saw the cook ladle something out of a large tin into a bowl. A few minutes later my soup arrived - clearly microwaved and with a skin on top...

A little later we had the ribs, with fries. I didn't finish my food which is highly unusual - basically the ribs were overcooked - almost certainly cooked earlier that day and then warmed through in an oven maybe. As if to balance that the fries were undercooked - given that they came out of a freezer in the first place and, you would have thought, placed in hot oil, that seems hardly possible but they were.

If you're looking for a drink in Markleeville then the Wolf Creek is probably not a bad bet but if you're looking to eat then you may want to consider crossing the road. It was the worst meal in our two week visit to California.

1  Thank Derek R

Reviewed August 28, 2013

While traveling through California on our rented motorcycles, we needed to stop for a late lunch and found other motorcycles parked all around this restaurant! That's always a good sign, so we parked the bikes to head on in... but several riders were coming out so we HAD to visit for updates on food and local roads. We got lots of info on both topics. Seems many riders make this a planned stop for the good food and old-time setting. Burgers and a club sandwich were prepared well, as were the fries.... fairly priced. We sat out back on the patio (covered tables, nice breeze) but took time to look around at the old photos and furnishings. We really stayed too long... service was just ok not great but not bad. We would stop again is in the area.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

A happy lunch was enjoyed in this 1800s building. Friendly staff, tasty food. My hamburger and fries were prepared as asked. The "homemade" Mexican Meatball Soup was declared delicious by my wife. The bar patrons were locals and jovial. A good place to visit and enjoy a meal.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We made this our destination for our journey today and we weren't disappointed. The building looks like it just came out of the 1800's and much of the furniture inside was period. What a fantastic place to eat. While the service was lackluster (hence only 4 stars); the food was very good and reasonbly priced. In a little town full of restaurants, I think we picked the best!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had a late lunch here yesterday and we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. Markleeville is out in the middle of no-where, so it was a great find.

I had a club sandwich and potato salad. They used good bread and quality cold cuts, and the potato salad was homemade. My husband had the chicken breast teryaki sandwich with onion rings. He enjoyed his lunch very much, and I will say the onion rings were really, really good.

The decor is from the gold mining days, and the bar is peppered with locals.

This is a fine spot for lunch or dinner, and I would recommend Wolf Creek Restaurant and bar.

1  Thank Monarch B