“Great food in a touristic town”
Review of 1850

Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Mariposa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Den Haag
“Great food in a touristic town”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

When you are just outside a major touristic attraction, you don't expect much of the food they serve. We ended up with one of the best meals of our four week holiday at restaurant 1850 just outside Yosemite national park.
My family is a diverse bunch of eaters, me being a vegetarian and my brother disgusted by anything green, it is sometimes hard to find something for everybody. At 1850 they have something for everybody and everything is cooked/prepared to perfection! I had a very tasty portobello burger, my mom and brother had a very good steak and my dad had a salmon salad. As a complementary starter we got small jalapeño cheese muffins, finally something different than bread and butter! The wine list was also comprehensive and the staff was very friendly. The chef put all his effort in every meal and detail of it, which you could totally taste. Prices are very reasonable too!

• Visited July 2013

Daly City, California
“Local Gem”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great find in Mariposa. We were referred by the local hotel that we were staying at, and were so grateful.

We were seated promptly by the hostess, and almost instantly had ice water, a necessity on such a hot day, and were offered a drink. I had the house red wine for $5 which was a killer deal for a 100% tempranillo! No blend which was a nice treat! My husband chose the DogFishHead? beer. He loved it! What a great and unique selection.

For an appetizer we tried the calamari special, which was fried to perfection.

For dinner I had the Cornish game hen, what a treat! It was paired nicely with the cornbread stuffing which my waitress told me is her favorite! My husband had the Venison Medallions, and they were cooked to a perfect medium temperature, and had no sort of game taste at all.

With such an amazing dinner, we could not pass up dessert. We tried the white chocolate cheesecake, with a raspberry sauce on top. It was so good. Sadly we were only in town for the night, but will be sure to make it a point to go back next time we travel to Yosemite.

Definitely the best restaurant we ate at on our vacation.

• Visited July 2013
Encino, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“yum!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We drove through from LA to Yosemite and stopped in this small town for a bite. I had the Salmon Salad it was soo good! light and sweet with so much flavor! My boyfriend had the Venusian (?), It was also full of flavor, yum. The service was really nice and friendly. Oh and the dessert!! Cappuccino cheesecake? Who would have thought?!

I cant wait for my next trip to Yosemite. I will be stopping by here again!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Tanya M
“Try the venison!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

On our way up to Groveland for a wedding from LA we searched for some good food in Mariposa. Undecided we stumbled across the big 1850 sign.Loud but elegant.Very intriguing.
We were sincerely welcomed, seated promptly, and were recommended the venison. The atmosphere was clean and elegant but unpretentious as I would expect from a restaurant in a small town. Cool local art decor, not to mention the giant cork chandelier.The 1850 is comfortable.
We started with the deliciously creamy artichoke dip and tasty tentacle calamari.i am a fan of artichoke dips everywhere but I never had artichoke dip with this consistency.Very impressed!I am a carnivore by nature so I decided to add venison to the list.They were tender and light medallions topped with a special sauce reminding me of a gravy.It worked well with the mashed potatoes and veggies.
Walking thru the doors i didnt expect it to be a fast food joint.I didn't want fast food. I wanted delicious food at a fair price and thats what i received. Neddless to say, I was very satisfied with the service, the great food, and the fair prices. The reason for the missing star is the hours of operation.If we would have driven thru and it was closed we would have totally missed out on a great eating experience.I Highly recommend this restaurant.Try the Venison!

• Visited June 2013
Midpines, California
“Good food, good service, resonable prices”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Great place to eat, the service was great, the food was fresh and tasty. I had the scollops, Sharon the steak salad, AL had the Cornish Game Hen and Loleen had the wedge salad. The salads were fresh, the Scallops were prepared to perfection, Al's game hen looked wonderful and Al said it was delicious, it was accompanied by a home made stuffing that was out of this world.

Visited June 2013

Been to 1850? Share your experiences!