“Plusses and Minuses”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
VA
“Plusses and Minuses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

Just stayed here for two nights. The location is good if you are visiting Yosemite and want to stay outside the park. There are a fair number of restaurants in this old quaint mining town. I think it took us a little over an hour to get to Yosemite Valley.

Front desk personnel was above average, even called the room a little while after we had settled in to see if everthing was ok.

The decor of the room was nice. The mattresses were above average, at least in our room. The internet access was good, tv reception good. Bath had a fairly new vanity counter top.

Good breakfast, decent-sized seating area.

Minuses- The showerhead was very low, about 5'5'' high. Also, the toilet seat was abnormally small. It felt weird using it, and I'm average-sized. I can't imagine how a larger person would deal with it.

All in all not great, not bad either. I would stay here again. Would probably give 3 1/2 stars if able.

Room Tip: No elevators, so first floor is nice, plus closer to your vehicle.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ForgottenTraveller
Gopal D, Front Desk at Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post about our Hotel. We appreciate the Reviews good and bad. With both of these, It lets us know what people enjoy about us, as well as what we can improve on.

Comfort Inn Yosemite Gateway
209-966-4344

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I booked two nights in their own website choicehotels.com, I checked in April 25th and checked out in April 27th. When I enter into my room, I felt the room condition is fare and the bed is clean, but somehow I felt something walked through my body when I slept in mid night, at that moment, I did not realize it's bed bugs, in the second day, my arms felt very itchy, and in the third day, the itch in both of my arms accompanied by redness and swelling, and I counted there's total 11 abscesses, then I finally realized this caused by bed bugs. I told this issue to front desk staff, there's two ladies sit in the front desk, they felt very sorry for me, but did nothing. They did not even give me antiseptic or a discount for the room charge. The 11 abscesses are shrinking but still very itchy since then, I felt I have to share my experience to the other travelers, so I wrote a review on choicehotels.com on May 5th, and guess what? they removed my review from their website and only leave the good review on it.

So travelers, from their attitude, be careful to choose this hotel and be aware of BED BUGS!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
15 Thank Michelle Z
Gopal D, Front Desk at Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
We do apologize for that large Inconvenience you experienced at our hotel.
That is something we do take very seriously. With guest traveling all over the world, things like that do happen at most hotels/ or motels. But it is something we do check for in our rooms. We use the latest methods to be both safe for our guests, as well as be rid of the problem. If you do decide to stay again with us, we can assure you that something like that won't happen again.

Comfort Inn
209-966-4344

Travelers are raving about these Mariposa hotels

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in 4 room building separate from main building, it had common sitting area and porch. Room was small as stated online, queen bed. Bathroom needs updating along with furniture. Analog tv , no sleep timer. Air unit had constant on which is good for air movement and noise control. Breakfast good with lots of choices. Bed comfy. Price high for what you get, expect more from Choice Hotels. Normally stay at Comfort Suites, more modern places. Overall not up to standards.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Barstow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Wow this place had the best breakfast of the 7 hotels we stayed at. You will not leave there hungry. Love having the choice of soft or firm pillows. the bead was comfortable, room was clean. Hotel is 3 stories and they don't have a elevator. We were unable to get Verizon cell phone service. The hotel is located one block above the main street. Tales a little less than a hour to get to Yosemite.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GingerNBarstow
Thank you for taking the time write a review on our hotel. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As for the cell reception, that is consistent problem we have here in the mountains. But it is something we've grown use to, but it does surprise some that visit Yosemite.

Comfort Inn
Brecksville, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

arrived about 9 pm was told nothing except 3 floor . our (two rooms on first floor) reservations have been made a month ago . 3 days ago I called to make sure every thing was ok choice hotel checked with Michael and said all was set . now the hotel is blaming it all on choice hotels . The employees are lazy the managers wife is rude . We had to take a suite two bedrooms one bath .At a higher rate of over $26 per night . We travel a lot stay at many comfort inns this is by far the worst . Breakfast worker lazy telling Michael fire him fire him. I wanted to tell him to have her clean the place up of course not my business . They all would work for me about 5 minutes .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank zues1911
Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed here for three nights in April. Very convenient to get to Yosemite either through Yosemite Valley or through the Mariposa Grove entrance. We were looking for pretty basic, clean accommodations and we got it. The price was right and the staff was friendly. Some other reviews mentioned that the wifi was slow and it was but certainly not unreasonably slow. The breakfast was fine but by day three it got a little old. The staff was always looking to refill the eggs or top off the pastries. Some of the outlets in the room were so worn, the plugs would fall out when we tried to recharge our phones. I would like to see them add at least a small fridge in the rooms so we could stock up at the Rite Aid or Subway.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank larao68
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway again for the 2nd year in a row. It is an incredibly convenient hotel to get into and out of Yosemite National Park, being just a short 1 hour drive on Highway 140. It is set back from Highway 140 by a block or two, which means that it does not get any traffic noise at all. In fact, when we woke up this morning, we heard only birds singing and a turkey gobbling somewhere nearby. The beds are extremely comfortable, and they furnish you with two types of pillow: 2 soft pillows and 2 firm pillows on each bed. The rooms are spotless, and offer flat-screen TVs and a small closet to hang coats in. There are also two chairs and a table between them. On each floor, there are recycling bins conveniently located for guests to recycle bottles and cans, which is an environmentally friendly thing to offer!
The hotel offers a guest refrigerator for storage of food overnight - just label your own food and date it.
The clerks at the hotel desk were friendly when we arrived, during our stay, and as we left.
The little town of Mariposa is a cute high-Sierra town with some of the friendliest local people I've ever met. We enjoyed another dinner at the "1850 Restaurant" and enjoyed morning lattes at the "Moonbow Cafe". At night, it is not uncommon to see people out walking on the streets, going to dinner or for drinks. It really is a charming place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wlntcrkca
Thank you for being a repeat traveler, we always enjoy seeing familiar faces. Please come visit us again next time you visit Yosemite.

Comfort Inn Yosemite Gateway
209-966-4344
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Cedar Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,658 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway? Share your experiences!