“DON'T STAY AT THE MONARCH!!”

The Monarch in Mariposa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
Reviewed October 12, 2013

What a crappy place to stay! The service was TERRIBLE. Have you ever been made to feel that even though you are spending tons of money to stay someplace, that the hotel is somehow doing *you* some sort of favour by "letting" you stay there? Where do I begin? The luggage cart has a flat tire. The elevator does not line up with the floor by several inches so when you step in or out, you trip. The front desk guy and his wife [from India] were EXTREMELY unfriendly. The only instructions for the TV are taped on a piece of paper to the front desk. There are no instructions in the room, where you need them. So when I asked the guy to come in and show me how to operate the TV, it was like he was doing me some huge service! I checked in late, and his wife hollered through the office door, "Don't bother us after 10pm. We need our sleep." The door to my room - 311 - literally required kicking to open and to close! Honest! I am not kidding! The room is ok, I suppose. They claim to serve a continental breakfast from 6:30 to 9:30. I arrived at 9:20am to find absolutely NOTHING. In fact, the coffee pot didn't appear as if it had even been filled, nor were there any crumbs or any sign that there had been any food or drink there whatsoever! I verily believe I am the only [dummy] who is actually staying in this place, and there must be 50 or more rooms! What was even more vexing was that he told me, "Don't make a mess of the room." I'm 54 years old and a professional engineer fer cryin' out loud! I should have stayed at the nice place across the street. Oh well, live and learn, eh? And in case I didn't mention it, Don't stay at the Monarch!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank passthepitonspete
There are newer reviews for The Monarch in Mariposa

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nothing spectacular. Very, very basic breakfast. Breakfast room (lobby) is very small and has few sitting spots. Good to visit the main valley at Yosemite, although it is still a long and slow 7 miles to the park's gate.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Terrible room, service and breakfast. TV, coffe pot and shower head DID WORK. When discount requested, owner from India said "No Way. Supposed to be near park, but was an hour away. Lots of unfinished renovations, parking lot lights still on the ground. No security, back door stayed propped open all night.

1  Thank msfla55
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at the Monarch as a group of 18 people in six rooms. This was our worst hotel experience during our two week tour of the West Coast. The location of this hotel was great but the hotel personel was unfriendly. The rooms were not as clean as we expected and the breakfast was not acceptable. The lobby and the corridors were not air conditioned. Stay away.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Out stay was ok comparing to toveri travellers here. The place is outdated and there is no pool, really. Unless you don't want to swim in a dirtpond. Still we didn't had anything to complain: the room was tidy and bed was ok.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Unexpectedly I found myself in Mariposa as Hwy 120 was closed due to a fire. Cell service was dicey between the two entrances to Yosemite and I was unable to look for a hotel until I got there. This was the only one with vacancies. The process included them writing down the amount and asking if it was okay. I felt I had no other choice as I sweated through my clothes in their extremely hot lobby. Turns out the hotel doesn't use air conditioning in any of their public areas. I got to my room to find everything off- the a/c, fridge, etc. The tub was still running though- all night as well as having a lovely crack in the mirror. The morning brought the smallest/bigggest surprise. I had a bed-mate in a little bug that looks very much like all the pictures of bedbugs online. Since it takes a day or so for the bites to show, I am waiting expectantly while sanitizing all my belongings.
The worst was when I called the hotel after I had been able to look up pictures (as their internet didn't work and cell service is sketchy in the area). The response was "you should have told us the night you got in- we would have changed your room'; and 'what you want me to do about it?', and when I said I would be posting to tripadvisor she responded 'okay' and hung up. All this for a solo traveler at $143.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank amy m
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Monarch Inn says it is "Just minutes from Yosemite National Park." That's a stretch. It's over 30 miles of winding mountain roads. We drove back and forth for three days and never made the trip under an hour. That's fine if you are just driving through Yosemite for a day trip, but if you are planning a multi-day trip to the park, the drive gets old fast. (The lodges that are "just minutes" from Yosemite are Yosemite View and Cedar Lodge.)

For the hotel itself, the minuses outweigh the pluses. The rooms are clean and the beds firm, and the cleaning staff is helpful. But that's about it for positives. The management is unfriendly. They refuse to give you more than one key per room, saying they have a shortage of keys. Breakfast consists of dry cereal, toast, packaged sweet rolls, and waffles, served from a nook off the reception area, and hotel guests have to reach over each other to get to the food. Guests eat at four small tables in the reception area. Hall and elevator carpets are dirty. The hotel has individual room air conditioners rather than central a/c, and the a/c units are loud. At night you hear the droning of the a/c in your room and those next door and above. The bathroom fan comes on when the light comes on, and in our the fan was extremely loud - so loud that we opted to leave the bathroom light off when possible. Wireless Internet connectivity waxes and wanes. The back doors to the hotel remain open 24-7 without surveillance.

Not a pleasant experience. I will not stay at the Monarch again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ArkPast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa
Best Western Plus Yosemite Way Station Motel

Been to The Monarch in Mariposa? Share your experiences!