“Worst ever, do not stay here!”

The Monarch in Mariposa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Terrible room, service and breakfast. TV, coffe pot and shower head DID WORK. When discount requested, owner from India said "No Way. Supposed to be near park, but was an hour away. Lots of unfinished renovations, parking lot lights still on the ground. No security, back door stayed propped open all night.

1  Thank msfla55

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at the Monarch as a group of 18 people in six rooms. This was our worst hotel experience during our two week tour of the West Coast. The location of this hotel was great but the hotel personel was unfriendly. The rooms were not as clean as we expected and the breakfast was not acceptable. The lobby and the corridors were not air conditioned. Stay away.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Out stay was ok comparing to toveri travellers here. The place is outdated and there is no pool, really. Unless you don't want to swim in a dirtpond. Still we didn't had anything to complain: the room was tidy and bed was ok.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Unexpectedly I found myself in Mariposa as Hwy 120 was closed due to a fire. Cell service was dicey between the two entrances to Yosemite and I was unable to look for a hotel until I got there. This was the only one with vacancies. The process included them writing down the amount and asking if it was okay. I felt I had no other choice as I sweated through my clothes in their extremely hot lobby. Turns out the hotel doesn't use air conditioning in any of their public areas. I got to my room to find everything off- the a/c, fridge, etc. The tub was still running though- all night as well as having a lovely crack in the mirror. The morning brought the smallest/bigggest surprise. I had a bed-mate in a little bug that looks very much like all the pictures of bedbugs online. Since it takes a day or so for the bites to show, I am waiting expectantly while sanitizing all my belongings.
The worst was when I called the hotel after I had been able to look up pictures (as their internet didn't work and cell service is sketchy in the area). The response was "you should have told us the night you got in- we would have changed your room'; and 'what you want me to do about it?', and when I said I would be posting to tripadvisor she responded 'okay' and hung up. All this for a solo traveler at $143.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank amy m
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Monarch Inn says it is "Just minutes from Yosemite National Park." That's a stretch. It's over 30 miles of winding mountain roads. We drove back and forth for three days and never made the trip under an hour. That's fine if you are just driving through Yosemite for a day trip, but if you are planning a multi-day trip to the park, the drive gets old fast. (The lodges that are "just minutes" from Yosemite are Yosemite View and Cedar Lodge.)

For the hotel itself, the minuses outweigh the pluses. The rooms are clean and the beds firm, and the cleaning staff is helpful. But that's about it for positives. The management is unfriendly. They refuse to give you more than one key per room, saying they have a shortage of keys. Breakfast consists of dry cereal, toast, packaged sweet rolls, and waffles, served from a nook off the reception area, and hotel guests have to reach over each other to get to the food. Guests eat at four small tables in the reception area. Hall and elevator carpets are dirty. The hotel has individual room air conditioners rather than central a/c, and the a/c units are loud. At night you hear the droning of the a/c in your room and those next door and above. The bathroom fan comes on when the light comes on, and in our the fan was extremely loud - so loud that we opted to leave the bathroom light off when possible. Wireless Internet connectivity waxes and wanes. The back doors to the hotel remain open 24-7 without surveillance.

Not a pleasant experience. I will not stay at the Monarch again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ArkPast
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We really thought we had got the wrong hotel, looks nothing like the photos on its website. In fact looks like a burger king or McDonald's. Check in receptionist very rude and wouldn't believe we were non smokers. Room was awful, polyfillaed holes in 2 of the walls, rubbish around fridge that we couldn't turn off, so it was pumping out heat all night but we couldn't use air con unit as too noisy and also blew curtains open which looked onto main sidewalk. Our room was also just off reception next to the lift shaft which woke us in the morning. The bathroom door wouldn't shut, no skirting board and gap between wall and floor to bedroom. Very shoddy painting & tiling.We came to conclusion that this had been an office which had been converted to a bedroom. At least sheets and towels seemed clean. We would have left if we hadn't been on theroad for 15 hours. Yes it probably was the less than an hour from yosemite that it says but that's the only truthful thing on the website. Breakfast was very cheap stuff, although I have to admit to enjoying the waffle I made. I had looked this place up when we booked earlier in the year and no bad reports came up so can only assume it has changed hands recently. As another post said, a new definition of the word boutique.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank californiajl
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not recommended. No blankets on the beds! Really. When requested, "used" blankets were provided with the comment, "We take them off in summer." Probably because the air conditioner is somehow "controlled" by management and will not provide a truly cool temperature in the room. The coffee maker did not function either. Most disturbing, however, the safety bolt/door lock would not close, so the door remained constantly unlocked. I barracaded the door with the suitcase stand. When management was informed off the above complaints, the response was, "What? The coffee maker is not working?" This boutique hotel is touted as "newly renovated." What a joke!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GingerSnap728
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa

Been to The Monarch in Mariposa? Share your experiences!