“AVOID THIS PLACE!!”

The Monarch in Mariposa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
“AVOID THIS PLACE!!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

From the moment we walked into The Monarch Inn we knew we had made a mistake and should have trusted our instincts and walked out.
From the room that was basic and highly overpriced, the decor that was outdated, the swimming pool that was a construction site, the totally inadequate breakfast to the worst manager/ owner we have ever encounted in many years of travel, this place was the worst place we have ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank PMJus2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fox Island, WA
Reviewed May 12, 2013

$125 with Tax for Nothing. We had no lamps, nothing on the walls, no blanket, minimal everything on the bed and a TV that did not work. Communication is poor with Muslim ownership.
Zero Amenities.
Within walking distance to all dining.
Our friends did have a better room. It might be a work in progress, but it would still be a last choice for me.

Room Tip: Try to get a King on main floor, which is 3rd floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Harley4us

Travelers are raving about these Mariposa hotels

Quincy, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Monarch Hotel is now owned/managed by Best Western and is very modern,comfortable, clean, and economical. We really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the Monarch to anyone looking for accommodations in Mariposa!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kyle_Elizabeth
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had booked this place before checking TripAdvisor and got pretty concerned when I saw the 1 star rating, but my fears turned out to be unfounded. I had reserved two king rooms, one for myself and one for my Mother for a visit to Yosemite,

Pros: Comfortable beds. Very clean rooms and a large bathroom. Coffee makers in both rooms and my Mom's room had a mini fridge. We walked two blocks for breakfast to the Sugar Pines each morning since we wanted hot breakfast and the drive into Yosemite from the hotel is lovely.

Cons: They are renovating so from the outside the place still looks kinda uninviting and run down. They seem to be between franchises since there was Best Western shampoo in the bathrooms. No covered parking for hot days or rainy days. Only my Mom's room received maid service for some reason.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Julia F
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

By no means a place with bells and whistles, but reasonably clean and had wireless Internet and continental breakfast included. Probably the least expensive place in town, also. Front desk lady was helpful enough. (everywhere else was full). So I think we get what we pay for here.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jgregor9
Monrovia, California, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

From the minor to the OMG this place was poor. Minor like one ice machine for 4 floors, a creaky elevator that scared the hell out of my wife, and no fruit at the continental breakfast. To major like the total lack of security, (the door to the parking lot had no lock) the fact that the single king room I reserved a month in advance was not available (I know the room was already rented dear I rented it). To the super major like the battery operated smoke alarm that went off at 11PM, as far as I can ascertain this is a violation of California Law specifically 13113.7 Health and Safety which requires smoke alarms in hotels to be wired in, or how bout the door that had obviously been kicked in and poorly repaired. THIS PLACE SUCKED!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimscleanhead
Phoenix
Reviewed August 2, 2012

super 8 ten dollar A frame sign out front was the only motel sign. Trash can said "Best western." Only 2 bed pillows (tiny). No blaket on the bed. A sheet and quilt only. I asked the staff for a blanket and they looked at me like I was an idiot. Did manage to coax the staff into ONE xtra pillow but they complained that they had to walk all the way to the laundry to get it. The continental breakfast area serves as storage during the evening....I did like the location both in town and in general proximaty to Yosimite. I would only stay here if the price is substantionaly less than other motels in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank snard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa
Best Western Plus Yosemite Way Station Motel

Been to The Monarch in Mariposa? Share your experiences!