Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Mariposa
See available hotels
Yosemite Inn(Mariposa)
  • Breakfast included
Mariposa Lodge(Mariposa)
  • Pool
Big Trees Lodge(Yosemite National Park)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our party of four had spent a memorable but exhausting day touring Yosemite Valley and we were hoping that Poppy Hill would live up to all the glowing reviews seen here. Within a few minutes we knew that it would exceed all expectations. It is a lovingly created home which greets you along with a gorgeous chocolate cake and a pot of tea (we're English).
We ate out at an excellent local restaurant in Mariposa ('Savouries') recommended by Mary Ellen and later relaxed in the sitting room with a glass of wine. The rooms were more than comfortable and on a very warm night we were cooled by fans so after a good night's sleep and a wonderful breakfast we headed into Mariposa and onto San Fransisco.
Anyone wanting to tour Yosemite would be hard pressed to find anywhere better than Poppy Hill for a base.

Room Tip: All excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank terryanddee
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We spent a night travelling aroun the National Parks (Kings Canyon and Yosemite). We arrive in the evening and a beautiful cake was waiting us on the living room table, with two bottles of wine. we were a party of 8 and so all the house was at our disposal. The rooms are warmly furnished, with big beds and beautiful old-fashioned forniture. Everything is painstaking and nice!
A wonderful breakfast, with French toast, bacon, jams, juices, coffee and tea, gave us the ggod morning!
It's a pity that we spent only one night, because it has been the best rest in 15-days tour ever!
Thanks to Mary ellen and her doughter for the warm welcome!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank abiTS
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I couldn't have asked for a nicer start to our eight day motorcycle tour of Calif. than to spend our first night at Poppy Hill. Although we were happy but tired when we arrived in the early evening, the charm of the house, the beauty of the setting and the warmth of our host Amy revived us. After a leisurely glass of wine in the garden, I ran down to Mariposa to bring back dinner. I would have been content to eat from the take-out containers, but Amy had set a beautiful table (china, cloth napkins), for us on the second floor balcony! Everything was just fantastic - the Poppy Room, the bed, the breakfast. Would definitely return and spend an additional night or two.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey K
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Over the years I've stayed in a lot of B&Bs, and I can honestly say that the combination of setting, accommodations, food, and hospitality at Poppy Hill are at the top of my list. The property is visually appealing and well maintained in a quiet setting. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The breakfasts were delicious and featured something different each morning. The hosts and other guests were enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CompassFollower
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Traveling solo and hate being isolated in a sterile (or not) hotel? Have a quiet, peaceful night's sleep. Try this proper all-American B & B that makes you feel like a welcome guest. The cozy home and peaceful flower gardens are eye candy. I saw deer and numerous birds. The home is tastefully decorated and furnished with antiques throughout. There are helpful vacation books in the living room. The Iris room 2nd floor was available when I stayed (5 days, 4 nights). It had a connecting door to the upstairs patio that allowed cool air to come into the room. The bed can be a little squeaky. The private bathroom has a shower, no tub. no T.V., central A.C. available but won't be used in lieu of room fans. Outdoor seating areas are quaint and restful.
Mary Ellen is the long-time owner/operator and is a very hospitable, charming, precious, and sweet-reminds me of my elderly auntie. Mornings others make and serve breakfast either 8 or 9 a.m. and it is satisfactory. My style of eats. I had yogurt, granola, a variety of fruit, tea, juices, coffee, or a light, hot breakfast with eggs picante, egg souffle, croissant french toast.
Evenings when I arrived from 10-11 p.m. not only was the house delicately lit up like Christmas inside and out, but light refreshments were presented on the table with wine, and my fav-hot water for my tea.
Poppy Hill B&B is affordable, romantic, and located in a very nice, rural location 5 miles from Mariposa (tourist town) and about an hour outside of Yosemite via 41 through Oakhurst, a proper town w/ Starbucks. Take Rt. 41 to Yosemite or Fresno Airport. FYI remember to always gas up, pick up a foam cooler, and fill it for everywhere you go. Along the way to Yosemite on 41 visit the awesome Railroad train ride attraction, smell the forest trees, and enter the Yosemite entrance to see the Sequoia trees right off or drive up, up, up to Glacier Point. Next take 41 to Tioga Road to visit Olmsted Point, a viewing area off of the Tioga Road which, like Glacier Point, offers a spectacular view into Yosemite Valley. Keep going 5 minutes more to beautiful Lake Tenaya for a picnic and swim. Next time out, head for Yosemite valley for Degnan's pizza and a walk in the meadows. Don't miss Tunnel View or the 3 Falls. .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo