“the NEW NICHOLS is awful -omit my prior review!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Nichols Restaurant INC - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Los Angeles, California
“the NEW NICHOLS is awful -omit my prior review!”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

They remodeled Nichols and now it's awful. Nice new decor, but the food is mediocre and the service is amateur. They had a great thing going and they destroyed it. Why fix something that ain't broke. Used to go 2-3 times per week, now won't go again. :(

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Keleigh

“What a disaster!”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Used to frequent several times a week before closing for renovation. I was excited to hear it re-opened. Went for breakfast, sat at the counter as I used to do. It's 9am on a Saturday, place is busy-good sign. WRONG! People on either side of me got the wrong orders! Then mine came or it didn't because it was someone elses. When it did come, they forgot my toast! Then came back & said they were out of rye. Really it's 9am & a supermarket next door. People were getting up to leave disgusted. OK fine- it's new. Went back for dinner tonight-worse! My friend had what was supposed to be meatloaf & supposed to come with whipped potatoes. Not-they gave him some other. When questioned the server, she said oh we must have ran out-sorry. Seriously? I had a burger. Looked nice on the plate but fell apart-burger crumbled in pieces and the bun, though it was fancy bun and looked nice, couldn't hold the burger & it too crumbled. Never saw our server again except when she brought the check but then she ran. Asked hostess for manager or owners cards (both were on site at the moment) but no attempt was made to find them or ascertain if everything was ok. Very sad-used to love it there. I get what he was trying to do but didn't come close to hitting the mark. Many loyal customers have been heard saying they won't return! I may be one of them. Probably wait a few months & see if it's still in business before giving another try. Now I need to find a new favorite place to patronize a few days a week! Shame!

3 Thank Nittany84
australia
“fantastic”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

My wife and I went to Nichols last night for dinner and I have to say from start to finish the night was very enjoyable. A glass of bubbly to start with.
Then we had mini chicken kievs
followed by prosciutto homade crisp bread and a wonderful mustard lettuce salad.
For Mains we had gnocci with duck and the jus was very good,
but the show stopper were the crumbed cuttlets on a bed of mash potatoe and wilted spinich,OH MY GOD!!! what more can i say.
The wine list was good and reasonable price.
If i can make just a small observation ordering wine by the glass would be nice to have the bottle poured at the table instead of behind the bar,but by no means detracted from the evening. We already made another reservation before we finished our meal.
So a big thank you to Karen and Graham and staff.

• Visited November 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Best breakfast and work lunch in LA!”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Multi Grain pancakes are the best I ever had. Chantal salad, portobello sandwich etc...are DALISH! Service is always great!

• Visited July 2011
Glendale, California
“From Omelettes to Tuna Melts - Nichols is Great!”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Love this place. Polite and friendly staff. Coffee shop with better than the usual coffee shop food. Try the spinach and Jack Cheese omelette with hash browns and toast. Just delicious. They make homemade soups that are excellent. And the tuna melt is so good. I love it with a cup of their fresh vegetable soup on the side. Yes, you may have to wait at some times of the day - especially weekends - but the wait is worth it. No reservations. Free parking - lots of it. Reasonable prices. You'll want to go back again.

• Visited June 2011