“Comfortable stay.”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Melbourne, Australia
“Comfortable stay.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the Jamaica Bay Inn during the middle of April 2013. We stayed for 4 nights. We found our stay very comfortable. We were upgraded to a King City view room. The room was massive, the bed was comfortable and the price was right. It was one of the cheapest hotel rooms we could find near LA. We stayed in Santa Monica for double the price only a few days earlier.

There were only two minor faults - the fridge didn't work (fixed if we wanted it), and the property contains lead (no big deal for us as we don't often lick the walls) - but it may be a of concern to others.

The drink specials were great, the food was quite good and the fact that it is right on the beach is great. Unfortunately the pool was quite cold... Also, the self parking is $16, cheap if you come and go, otherwise the marina parking is next door for $8 (if you plan to park and stay).

Room Tip: The rooms near the ice machines can be a little loud...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
shighland, General Manager at Jamaica Bay Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Cass and Age,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We're glad you enjoyed your stay at the Jamaica Bay Inn. I did note your concern in the review and I wanted to assure you and others who may read this that the hotel was completely renovated in 2009 and is in compliance with all the latest health and safety standards. A California law known as “Proposition 65” requires businesses post a notice that people on their premises may be exposed to harmful chemicals if it can be shown that any one of over 800 chemicals may be present in the environment of that business. These would include but not be limited to: second hand cigarette smoke, automobile exhaust fumes and aspirin to name a few. While well-intended, Prop 65 often scares folks who are unfamiliar with it. Again, our hotel is essentially brand new. It is in compliance with all health and safety standards. I’d be happy to discuss Prop 65 and any concerns anyone may have about it. Any who read this are welcome to contact me directly at the hotel.
Thanks again for your feedback. We hope you’ll visit us again the next time business or pleasure brings you back to LA!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Turkish first
Riverside, CA
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Nothing but nice things to say. The grounds are very well kept, the location is marvelous, the rooms big, clean and updated. The staff friendlyand the food was great too. I would stay again. You must get a marina view to enjoy yourself. I booked direclty through their website and got a good deal via the managers special. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: Get the Marina View only.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last time I visited family just outside of LA. It has a great location close to the airport, but its still cozy. I was with my elderly mother and the valet were very helpful with our luggage even though I chose to self park. The ladies at check in were very thoughtful. They got us a room close to the elevator so my mom didn't have to walk far. We got a great nights sleep before we had to go to LAX the next morning. I hope we can make it back soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Mateo, California
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was expecting amazing things from the #1 rated hotel in Marina del Rey.

Positives:
large rooms
great location
clean and attractive

Negatives:
disinterested front desk staff
expensive

We stayed two nights, and chose the hotel based on the Tripadvisor rating. We had two rooms, both with a marina view, one (407) which had a nice balcony. We would have liked the rooms a bit closer to each, or at least in the same building. I'm not sure why that didn't happen.

The breakfast was good, on the pricey side. The service was slow, and many mistakes were made before the order was correct.

The location was great -- easy to get to, close to things we wanted to do, with a nice jogging trail right on the water. They also had stand-up paddle boarding lessons right there in the marina, but you need to reserve in advance; if they don't get enough advance reservations they won't go out that day.

We left something in the room, and the staff seem unconcerned, and never located the item, even though we called and came by the day after we checked out.

It was a fairly expensive hotel, and costs added up (expensive breakfast, they even charge for the small water bottles in the rooms), so we only booked two nights here, and stayed at a less expensive hotel for the rest of our visit, which we ended up liking more.

I wouldn't stay here again. It wasn't terrible, just felt kind of cold and unwelcoming, and there are better, less-expensive places to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony with a view of the Marina.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was lovely little hotel with a gorgeous view of the Marina. While I had little time to spend in my room or enjoying facilities, I could easily see myself returning when I have more time to do so. The beds are very comfortable, the staff incredibly delightful, and the terrace overlooking the beach was a real treat to unwind on before bed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JenniferP10
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This message goes out to all the staff persons at Jamaica Bay Inn.In particular, I'd like to thank Ramon Hernandez of Housekeeping Dept. for returning a pair of running shoes to me that I left at JBI during our recent stay.The shoes were saved in the lost and found and then returned to me promptly upon my request via Fed Ex.
Ramon and all the staff at JBI made our stay very enjoyable.They are genuinely focused on their guests.
I would highly recommend JBI to everyone.
Thanks again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ricke342
South Jersey
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Jamaica Bay Inn for three nights. Right off the bat, I noticed that the staff was a bit standoffish. But when our room safe reset it self, they did send maintenance up quickly, so no complaints.

The rooms are of average size, and we enjoyed our balcony that faced the marina. The grounds are beautiful--well maintained and well landscaped. The only facility we used was the pool, and even though the weather was in the upper 60s and no one was really at the pool, towels ran out quickly. I did not use the gym but my husband also mentioned that it only contained three exercist machines.

Parking at the Inn is expensive--I believe we paid either $14 or $16 per night to self-park, which there really was no rhyme or reason to as there were plenty of spots in the lot.

All in all, I enjoyed our stay at the Inn. We really enjoyed the proximity of the Inn to Venice Beach, Santa Monica, and Lost Angeles, as well as the convenience of all of the shopping and food options in the area. But if I went back, I may have to research cheaper options in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#7 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Inn at Venice Beach
Inn at Venice Beach
#8 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Jamaica Bay Inn? Share your experiences!