“Good enough, but didn't find it as amazing as other reviewers did”
Review of Jamaica Bay Inn

Jamaica Bay Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
San Mateo, California
“Good enough, but didn't find it as amazing as other reviewers did”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was expecting amazing things from the #1 rated hotel in Marina del Rey.

Positives:
large rooms
great location
clean and attractive

Negatives:
disinterested front desk staff
expensive

We stayed two nights, and chose the hotel based on the Tripadvisor rating. We had two rooms, both with a marina view, one (407) which had a nice balcony. We would have liked the rooms a bit closer to each, or at least in the same building. I'm not sure why that didn't happen.

The breakfast was good, on the pricey side. The service was slow, and many mistakes were made before the order was correct.

The location was great -- easy to get to, close to things we wanted to do, with a nice jogging trail right on the water. They also had stand-up paddle boarding lessons right there in the marina, but you need to reserve in advance; if they don't get enough advance reservations they won't go out that day.

We left something in the room, and the staff seem unconcerned, and never located the item, even though we called and came by the day after we checked out.

It was a fairly expensive hotel, and costs added up (expensive breakfast, they even charge for the small water bottles in the rooms), so we only booked two nights here, and stayed at a less expensive hotel for the rest of our visit, which we ended up liking more.

I wouldn't stay here again. It wasn't terrible, just felt kind of cold and unwelcoming, and there are better, less-expensive places to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony with a view of the Marina.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Turkish first
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was lovely little hotel with a gorgeous view of the Marina. While I had little time to spend in my room or enjoying facilities, I could easily see myself returning when I have more time to do so. The beds are very comfortable, the staff incredibly delightful, and the terrace overlooking the beach was a real treat to unwind on before bed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JenniferP10
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This message goes out to all the staff persons at Jamaica Bay Inn.In particular, I'd like to thank Ramon Hernandez of Housekeeping Dept. for returning a pair of running shoes to me that I left at JBI during our recent stay.The shoes were saved in the lost and found and then returned to me promptly upon my request via Fed Ex.
Ramon and all the staff at JBI made our stay very enjoyable.They are genuinely focused on their guests.
I would highly recommend JBI to everyone.
Thanks again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ricke342
South Jersey
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Jamaica Bay Inn for three nights. Right off the bat, I noticed that the staff was a bit standoffish. But when our room safe reset it self, they did send maintenance up quickly, so no complaints.

The rooms are of average size, and we enjoyed our balcony that faced the marina. The grounds are beautiful--well maintained and well landscaped. The only facility we used was the pool, and even though the weather was in the upper 60s and no one was really at the pool, towels ran out quickly. I did not use the gym but my husband also mentioned that it only contained three exercist machines.

Parking at the Inn is expensive--I believe we paid either $14 or $16 per night to self-park, which there really was no rhyme or reason to as there were plenty of spots in the lot.

All in all, I enjoyed our stay at the Inn. We really enjoyed the proximity of the Inn to Venice Beach, Santa Monica, and Lost Angeles, as well as the convenience of all of the shopping and food options in the area. But if I went back, I may have to research cheaper options in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank prgirl73
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The waterside grill and Jamaica Bay Inn really have the best location on the water. Literally steps to the water and with the best seaside dining in LA. What a beautiful place. The rooms are really nicely upgraded and I was impressed they even offered q-tips and cotton balls which make a huge difference in my book. Thank you for doing such a wonderful job with your renovation. The gym and business center also came in very handy while I visited.

Room Tip: Ask for Marina side. I had the city side and their noise control is amazing. Didn't hear anyth...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank chandraknee
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

i chose this hotel because of location and hotel web site, I do not think it is worth the money rooms are ordinary, staff not very friendly. It is nice but i have stayed at better for less money and i prefer the personal touch which is very lacking at this hotel. i started to check in and the member of staff walked away and served someone else .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kath n
shighland, General Manager at Jamaica Bay Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Kath N,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. At Jamaica Bay Inn we are all very concerned that you weren't absolutely delighted with your recent visit. We continually strive to be the best value and warmest service in Los Angeles. It's a serious matter to us all when we miss the mark, particularly in service. Please know that we will share your feedback with the entire staff and re-double our efforts to WOW each and every guest. We truly care and hope those reading this will note that it is very out of character for us. We hope you return in the future Kath N and give us another chance to show you hospitality the Jamaica Bay Inn way.
Georgeville
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The updating in the last 2 years has paid off in the Inn becoming our favorite in the area. have stayed elsewhere but Inn is clearly best value and great location. Didn't try restaurant for any meal given the choices in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
#7 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Inn at Venice Beach
Inn at Venice Beach
#8 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Jamaica Bay Inn? Share your experiences!