“Swanky”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Bossier City
“Swanky”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Starting with the negative... hidden fees... $14/night for self parking - $22 for valet?! Really? Was told "that's actually not bad for this area," by the receptionist. Why not just include it in the advertised price instead of blindsiding customers? I mean, it's the buildings parking lot - it's not like we're parking down the street on some other property's parking lot. I probably won't stay here again specifically for that reason. Why not charge separately for electricity and water as well?! Sheesh. Keep it up travel industry - keep it up... see what happens. :P

Anyhoo... Everything else pretty great though. Restaurant ("Vu") was pretty decent - barmaid was the best - awesome service. Food seemed a little bland though, tiny portions, a bit expensive for the taste.

Room was impeccably decorated though. I had a pretty decent view of the tiny bay. Great sleep. Pretty close to LAX.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 17, 2011

It looks like an average hotel from the outside, but once you leave your car, the entryway and layout takes you far away. The rooms were truly high quality, stylish, comfortable, and eco-friendly.
We felt that the hotel was far better than a 2-3 star rating, yet the price was very good, which is exactly what i look for in a hotel.
The restaurant was fantastic. Each dish was very amusing and delicious.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed at the JBI from June 9, 2011 to June 14, 2011. Stayed in the "newer" section. This hotel was wonderful from the front desk Staff, the housekeeping staff, to the Valet staff. We had breakfast in the restaurant which was very good. Also had drinks and appetizers in the afternoon which were wonderful!
The view is also very nice. I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amm19145
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I stayed here twice for business: first time was mediocre, the second was really irritating.

The rooms are nice and the staff seems pleasant, but here are the two beefs that have caused me to not go back to this hotel:

1) Came back to the hotel after a long day to discover that the room cards for both my coworker and me had been deactivated (flashing yellow, not red). We had to wait 15 minutes (we were third in line) for the slow desk to help us. And then... she blamed us for deactivating the cards. Seriously? She could have said, "I'm sorry that happened," and just left it at that. But she had to add insult to injury. (By the way, in my experience flashing yellow means "see the front desk" -- which equates to: the hotel's issue, not ours.)

2) I was on the first floor and heard what sounded like water buffalo running above me all night. What can you do about noisy people above you? Not much. Except the situation reminded me an awful lot of staying in motor lodges with my parents on road trips in the '70s. Construction and sound proofing has come a long way since then... except at the Jamaica Bay Inn. Holy cow! It reminded me of the flimsiest type of apartment construction. And I'm still confused at how that could possibly be the case. But some people walk loudly, or their kids run around and a structure has to be built with that in mind. This hotel was not.

So, after this two trip experiment, I'll be going back to the Ritz a half mile down the road where the staff is friendly and helpful and I've never had the need to wear earplugs while trying to get some sleep...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cyberdouglas
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The front desk / concierge teams are incredible! I had the pleasure of sitting in the lobby for an hour observing the collegial, service-oriented nature of the team members here. They have a great knack for outstanding service, team work, fun on the job and professionalism. They were also most helpful with booking my transportation, finding vegetarian restaurants and more. Thank you Kenney, Roger and team!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jennifermelia
dorset
Reviewed June 12, 2011

After reading the good reviews we decided to go for this hotel & first impresssions were of disapointment. The lobby was like some motel & the restaurant area wasnt particularly inviting, but the rooms were very comfortable & we had a balcony overlooking the beach.
The pool was heated which was great as the weather was disapointing when we went, but nowhere near as big as it looked in photos we saw.
We were pleased we stayed at the Marina away from the hustle & bustle of LA, but we didnt have a car & it did cost a fortune in taxis.

Room Tip: top floor is best.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2011

We ended up with mixed feelings about this hotel after staying there. yes, it's a nice location and close enough to LAX or Santa Monica and right on the marina. Yes, the hotel has some nice rooms, well furnished, functional and very clean. No, it doesn't have the service to match what you will pay for the room. My experience at check in was awful and my reservation couldn't be found, after a 12 hour flight that's all I needed. When it was found there was no apology for keeping me waiting or any communication for that matter. No, breakfast wasn't good, we had a rate including breakfast for which you receive no choice, poor quantities and very slow service. Yes, the evening restaurant food is good but the service doesn't match.

All in all very mixed feelings, it could be a great hotel but it's overpriced and the service certainally doesn't match what you are paying, but I still like the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
#7 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Inn at Venice Beach
Inn at Venice Beach
#8 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Jamaica Bay Inn? Share your experiences!