“New and (vastly) Improved”
Review of Jamaica Bay Inn

Jamaica Bay Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Vancouver, Washington
“New and (vastly) Improved”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I grew up about five miles away from the "old" Jamaica Bay Inn. It was a funky place better known for it's Sunday Brunch than its hotel rooms. Locals loved it but never stayed there. Eventually, people from out of town stayed away. The "new" Jamaica Bay is a radical change from that. It combines a great location with a stylish decor, nicely appointed rooms, good food and drinks and friendly staff. Look no further. I stayed in #211 with a nice view out to the water and across the sand. When I called the front desk of the morning of my check in to reconfirm my reservation, they had actually UPGRADED me to a suite, which I had to turn down because I needed the two queen beds. Imagine a hotel that voluntarily upgrades you! From the moment I checked in I knew I'd like it here. This hotel has been rebuilt from the ground up. The lobby is warm and welcoming. The rooms are warm and welcoming. The area is warm and welcoming. I liked it here! Comfortable room with a great TV, nice deck, big bathroom, on site bar and restaurant. A nice deck with a couple of chairs, but found it odd that there wasn't a sliding screen door that would have allowed me to enjoy fresh air in the room. A nice pool and hot tub. Didn't get to enjoy the restaurant for dinner but I did sample it for breakfast. Interesting and unique menu. Very eclectic, but the portions were a bit small. I was hungry two hours after eating here. The bar scene seems to be local, loud and active. Valet parking is $22. Park it yourself is $14 which is kind of a joke considering how huge the parking lot is! Regardless, this is a nice hotel. It has a great location and a great view. The landscaping is quite nice...textured grass, flowers and plenty of palm trees that border the water side of the property. You can hear the palm fronds blowing in the wind. There's a walking path-bike path right in front of the property, too and so you see a never ending parade of people passing by. The nearby Marriott and Ritz Carlton should be very concerned because the Jamaica Bay Inn is now a major player and serious competition. I'll look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank TravelingManVan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Turkish first
Reno
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I attended a business workshop and absolutely loved this location. The staff were incredible and knew our names when we walked by the front desk by the 2nd day. Johnny Diaz took care of us during the meeting. We knew he was great from the first minute we got there, we asked him to re-set the room configuration on the first day and he did so with a smile in under 10 minutes. He brought in all of our meals and was so quiet and careful, we barely knew that he came in. The food was excellent. Much better than most business meeting food. I loved that we could look outside during our meetings - a rare treat to have a meeting room with windows!
The sleeping rooms were lovely - I was on the Marina side and it was very quiet and beautiful, although one morning I think I did hear the person above me doing his/her morning exercises.
I'll be participating in another meeting in May and am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2011

After a 14 hour flight from Australia, we were expecting to have to wait until 3pm to check in, as it was only 8am. When we got to the Jamaica Bay Inn, Ken had a double queen room ready for us, just until our King room was ready. That on its own was a pleasant surprise and after freshening up we went out (to try to stay awake). When we returned to the hotel a few hours later, expecting our King room to be ready, we were escorted to our room by Richard, who introduced us to the 'executive suite'. The upgrade was totally unexpected and was gorgeous! The bed was the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in and the decor was beautiful. Throughout our 5 night stay, all the staff were extremely helpful & friendly and went out of their way to answer our questions, call taxis, a lincoln town car, provide maps and directions and advice on places to eat (thanks Ken). Overall, I would say the staff made the difference in what would have been a very nice stay already, into the most comfortable stay we could have imagined. Thanks SO much to all of you. G'day....Craig and Wendy, Perth, Australia

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Swiss
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at the Jamaica Bay Inn. I can recommend it at all. The rooms are generous, nice and brand new. The room I had, was a Marina View room, which was totally quiet and with a lot of sun in the morning on the terrace. The staff always has been very nice and helpful.
I would quote the Jamaica Bay Inn as a very good 4* hotel.

Room Tip: Marina Bay View - quiet and with a view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 8, 2011

This was a first time visit to the Jamaica Bay Inn and let's just say it is now going to be my go-to hotel. The location is amazing, the view and proximity to the water is closer than even the pictures represent. Upon arrival, the room I had requested wasn't right and they bent over backwards to upgrade me. The service was impeccable. The room was clean and contemporary. I stayed on the first floor and my patio was lovely. The executive chef at Vu, for the foodies out there, is reminiscent of Wylie Dufresne and the recently crowned Top Chef Richard Blais (he actually worked with him in Atlanta), and his food was creative and bursting with flavors. The waitstaff and bartenders, well, let's just say top to bottom and everywhere in between, this hotel has what in my humble opinion, LA is missing. Not only a great location with great prices but NO attitude. It's the only place I'll stay when I'm in the LA area again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Olten, Switzerland
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I would like to thanks the Jamaica Bay Inn team for a beatiful week stay. It is a fabulous setting, my room overlooking the pool and the beach. New Look, huge rooms with balcony. The staff were very attentive.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed at the Jamaica Bay Inn for a few weeks on a business trip and really, really enjoyed it.

This place deserves its #1 ranking in Marina del Rey, and should be rating high in LA's hotels. My room was large and nicely designed, extremely comfortable bed. Wonderful bar and lounge downstairs for relaxing, great restaurant. Friendly, helpful staff - couldn't have been nicer from start to finish.

Bonus points: Showers are hot and huge.

Negative points: I am not a fan of the gym, a bit small.
And the lift is very slow.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Inn at Venice Beach
#9 of 351 in Los Angeles
Marina del Rey Marriott
#7 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Jamaica Bay Inn? Share your experiences!