“Great place for creole cajun food.”
Review of Uncle Darrow's - CLOSED

Uncle Darrow's
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Uncle Darrow's is the best Cajun / Creole eatery west of the Bayou! We offer great cuisine with the phenomenal taste of fresh and healthy eating.
Reviewed March 6, 2014

OMG... Good food, This is the only place I will eat Gumbo out at a restaurant. It feels like home when you are there . You meet no strangers at Uncle Darrows. Such a warm and friendly enviroment. looking forward to my next meal there.
Carolyn and James Jenkins

Norwood C, Owner at Uncle Darrow's, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

We're looking forward to your next meal here too, Carolyn! Reading that you feel so at home at Uncle Darrow's absolutely made my day. We're happy to have you as part of the family!

See you soon,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I love this place. The owner, Norwood, is a friendly, welcoming man who is justifiably proud of the authenticity of his food. The oyster po boy--to which I like to add fresh-squeezed lemon--reminds me of my French Quarter days. The beignets--well, I remember them as being lighter and being sprinkled with more powdered sugar--but these are quibbles. It's a great place--hurry on down . . . set a while . . .

Norwood C, Owner at Uncle Darrow's, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

I'm thrilled to hear that eating at Uncle Darrow's reminds you of your French Quarter days! Reading that someone who knows true Louisiana cookin' is so impressed with ours is music to my ears. Don't be a stranger!

Norwood

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and a current long time resident of the Gulf coast, I can honestly say that Uncle Darrow's is truly a taste of home in L.A.
The gumbo is spot on and the Zeke poboy is the BOMB!!!!! The red beans and the cornbread will give anyone's mommy a run for the money.
The only thing better than the food here is the service and hospitality that this family exudes. Once you've eaten here, you become just like family.
Skip all the fancy places in Venice, drive a couple of miles and treat yourself to some REAL food!

1  Thank FLfyrguy
Norwood C, Owner at Uncle Darrow's, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

"Once you've eaten here, you become just like family." You said it! We want everyone who visits Uncle Darrow's to feel right at home, and I'm thrilled to hear that's been the case for you. The fact that you think our red beans and cornbread can stand up to the toughest of challengers is just the icing on the (king) cake!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Has to be the best Cajun in town. How could we not have been in so long (years)? Best fried chicken around. Best beans and rice around. Great collard greens. And you just can't beat the service from the owner. Love that the meat is made fresh for you. Wish I had taken two pieces of cornbread! Everyone in there was happy. And the owner knows practically everyone by name that comes in. It's not a fancy sit-down restaurant, but good, home-style Louisiana cooking with special spices and sauces, samples when you arrive or just want to try something. It's not fancy, it's not fast food. $11.50 for a meal is not cheap (that's meat and two sides) - but it's darn good - and that meal is a tad too much for one person (medium size female) - leaves enough for a snack for the next day. Can't wait to go back - for catfish, I think....will work my way through the menu.....and breakfast - chicken and waffles!

1  Thank a-travelin-foodie

You definitely need to give our breakfast a try! We serve it on Saturdays and Sundays, so keep that in mind when planning your next stop at Uncle Darrow's. Can't wait to have you back!

'Til then,

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had just left Costco and were wondering where to eat, so we pulled into a parking lot right before Lincoln Boulevard to look up good places nearby. I literally looked up and there was Uncle Darrow's. My daughter was doubtful, but we looked it up, found good reviews, and decided to try it. Are we glad we did! We walked in and saw a long row of tables. We went up to the counter and met the most cheerful and charming server ever. She asked if we had been there before, and when we said, "No," she started serving us samples of jambalaya, beans and rice, sweet tea, and banana puddin' and she said we could sample anything else. (The Jambalaya song started playing in my head...) She said they don't use beef or pork. We also noticed the menu was vegetarian-friendly. We ordered the jambalaya entree, which came with two sides of jambalaya, cornbread, and salad, and a small container of very green dressing. We also got the two Cajun tacos with a drink and opted for the sweet tea. We heard someone in the back kitchen whistling happily to the background music and then that man brought us our food with a big smile. The entree came on a plastic plate and the tacos in a basket, and they were very good. We decided to try the desserts. They didn't have beignets or the sweet tater pie, so we tried the Peachy Kobbler. I couldn't decide between two other desserts, so I asked the server which she recommended, and she exclaimed, "The banana puddin'!", so I went with that. The cobbler came in a foil container; it had a big rectangle of crust that was very good with the peaches. The banana puddin' came in a plastic tub and had vanilla wafers, a childhood favorite of mine, in it. It was real comfort food in a happy atmosphere. We'll be back for the file gumbo, Cajun pups, tater pie, beignets, and...

I'm so glad you decided to stick around when you stumbled upon Uncle Darrow's! It sounds like you were able to try quite a few of our dishes when you were here, which I'm thrilled to hear. We can't wait to have you back to try more of our entrees!