“Great Fall Get Away”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Orlando, Florida
“Great Fall Get Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

Great place to stay. The rooms are wonderful and its right near everything.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in the area in July, 2010. The lobby of the hotel makes a great impression -- it's wonderfully modern, with great design and an awesome outdoor lounge that is incredibly well-intergrated into the rest of the space. It reallly made you want to spend time in the lobby and was just a great way to enter and re-enter the hotel.

So, after checking in in this incredible lobby and taking the elevator to my room, I was hoping/expecting to be impressed.

Sadly, the rooms weren't as cool. There wasn't anything really wrong with them -- they were spacious and clean with standard features, but they didn't meet the great design of the lobby. I've certainly been in better Marriott rooms, too -- while these had standard features, they weren't upgraded. The room itself, and especially the hallways, were a little rough around the edges -- scuffed wallpaper, etc. -- but hadn't reached the level of outright dirty or disrepair. Still, a facelift of the rooms could bring this hotel up a notch, particularly if the facelift matched the quality of the lobby.

Kudos to the concierge lounge -- a great breakfast and hot dinner -- very impressive.

The hotel's location is good; Marina del Rey has a lot of nice features, and the hotel is only a few blocks from the beach. It's an urban beach, so it's hardly an oasis, but water is still water, right?

Overall, an average stay; not horrible, but I've had far better at other Marriott properties.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

I had booked the Marriott as they had an amazing deal with free buffet breakfast, valet parking and a $50USD credit per night for use in the Glow Lounge and Bar towards food and drink. As a Marriott Card member I received the usual virtual concierge email a few days prior to my arrival and noted that I could upgrade to a suite for $20 and the concierge level for a further $20 which I thought was excellent value. There was great contact from the hotel too confirming that both had happened and they even have an Elite Services Manager based in the hotel who assured that all would be in order. I thought this was excellent customer service and was looking forward to arriving at the hotel.

Initial impressions were really good, from the outside a modern looking hotel, excellent valet and bell staff who went the extra mile - fresh bottles of water left in the car for you whenever you rang down for your car to be ready and very helpful with directions to locations all across LA area.

When I checked in the service was "efficient" but not over friendly. There was surprise at my early arrival, even though I had been assured this was all sorted, but within a few minutes the suite had been sorted. However, none of the front desk staff seemed to be familiar with the package and couldn't quite tell me how it would work - which concerned me a little. The lobby area has gone under signifcant refurbishment, and I thought this might have extended throughout the hotel and rooms, so was looking forward to seeing the modern Marriott look that I have experienced in many of their hotels.

We were whisked up to our room and as the elevator doors opened, you were greeted with a very aging and no refurbished floor together with a huge humming noise of the ice machine which I pitied any of the adjacent room guests being able to sleep. We were shown to our room which on first look didn't seem too bad, although somewhat dated. As we were left we began to look around in more detail, most of the furniture had seen better days, and the sofa was completely saggy. Carpets were stained, but you did get the Marriott bed. There was also a smell of damp or must, which made me think the room had not been used for some time. The bathroom only had a shower which I thought odd, and some of the equipment had seen better days. As my partner touched the shaving mirror it came off in his hands!!

As we had access to the concierge level, we went up to investigate, I was surprised that our room had not been on that floor. Again, pretty outdated. The Concierge lounge is only open weekdays, and to be honest, isn't worth the $20 supplement, that we were charged throughout our stay (even though we were there Friday Sat and Sun when the lounge closes at 12noon on Fri and did not reopen till 5 on the Sunday).

I raised both concerns about room and concierge to front desk who told me that this would be sorted within the hour. We left for our day trip and coming back checked with the front desk to be told that we wouldn't be moving to the concierge level, but the room had been thoroughly cleaned. It hadn't so I rang down again to be told it would be sorted the next day. It wasn't.

As for sleeping, the bed was comfy, but both of us felt there was something or someone else in the room and weird things did happen during our stay. We asked to move but were told that another suite wasn't available. So we began to spend less and less time in the room, only really sleeping in it.

The Glow Lounge seems popular with locals and guests alike. The bar staff were extremely friendly and the food offer looked good. So we ordered our $50 worth of food and beverage. The quality of food was distinctly average - some dishes great and others really bad. It didn't seem to surprise the servers when we told them which dishes were poor, but in fairness they did not charge us for it.

The breakfast buffet was the jewel in the crown, great service and great selection, though in colder months I do wonder how the team copes as there are not even tables for guests and you go on a wait list - particularly at weekends. We hit the buffet at 9am on the Sat and 8am on the Sun and both times had to wait at least 15 mins for a table inside - way too cold to sit out at that time.

All in all the hotel could do with some serious updating and probably a visitation from an exorcist!! It seems to be the hotel that time and the Marriott Group has forgotten since its inception in 1954.

I for one won't be rushing back to this Marriott - I expect more from a Marriott and was nowhere near the standards and comforts of either their Union Square Hotel in SF or their hotel in Canary Wharf, London.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank baloobear
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

Stayed here recently for two nights. Lobby is beautifully decorated. Room was concierge level, two double beds, marina view, clean and comfortable, lovely textiles.. Concierge level has buffet breakfast from 6:30a - 10a, (evening hours too, but didn't sample) which was quick and convenient. Food was well made, service very good. Hate the valet parking at 26 per day (plus tips). Of course the other hotels in the surrounding areas charge for parking too. Have stayed in Santa Monica on other occasions, but prefer Marina del Rey to that bustling area. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beachmusic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

My stay at the Marina del Rey Marriott was very nice. I booked a Concierge level room with marina view for my family and myself for a two day stay since I read that this side of the building was quiet. The location is in an upscale area surrounded by condominiums, apartment buildings, a variety of restaurants, and small shops along busy Washington Blvd. To be honest I preferred staying in Marina del Rey rather than in Santa Monica. It's only a 15 drive more or less to Santa Monica yet it's much cheaper to stay in Marina del Rey. I saw the expensive hotels in Santa Monica, cannot say I was impressed that they cost double of what the Marina del Rey Marriott charges. It's the location one is buying up there.

The room we got was recently renovated and was a typical size for an American hotel. Bathroom was large so that was a bonus. The lobby is inviting as it has lots of comfortable sofas and chairs, spacious too. There's an outdoor lounge off the lobby called Glow which we didn't patronize as it's for a youngish crowd; there is definitely a dress code, FYI, as a sign proclaims it at the door. However, there is a bar inside the lobby. The Concierge level includes breakfast, desserts, and non-alcoholic drinks as part of the rate. They only open between 6-10 in the day and 6-10 in the night. If you want you may take away food to eat in your room. Breakfast is quite good as it has the regular buffet items such as scrambled eggs, bacon, oatmeal, fresh fruit, pastries, breads, cereals, etc. When the Concierge level is closed (weekends) clients get coupons to have breakfast in the Stones restaurant off the lobby area. The food is the same as one gets on the Concierge level plus made to order omelettes and waffles.

As for the staff I'd say that all except a few staff members went out of their way to adhere to the true Marriott philosophy. The housekeeper was lax a bit as we used the coffee maker that was originally placed in the closet. We brought it out to plug it by the TV table, used the coffee and creamer, and a couple (disposable) cups. The next day the coffee maker was still there and there were no replacement creamer, coffee, and cups. The valet staff were all friendly and efficient (it's valet parking only for fee), the restaurant staff were all efficient including those in the Concierge level. The front desk staff, however, a couple members lacked a bit. Instead of inquiring for us on one issue they told us they thought it would be such and such and to just ask about it to the right department the next day to be sure.

In short, this is a superb hotel for location, comfort, and staff.

• Stayed August 2010
Pacific Grove, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

I will not stay here again until it's undergone a remodel. Tired and dirty. It's too bad they've let it go so. The location is good and the staff are nice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank FrequentTraveler789
switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

Upon arrival we were shocked to find a bug in the middle of the sofabed. Additionally the mattress was torn apart. Not a nice picture. The hotel gave us a new room, which was checked out before if everything was okay (do they doubt zheir own employees?). All in all the hitel is nice, refurbished a few month ago. The lounge in the patio is a nice idea. But to use it as a club with loud music until early in the morning is bizarre and disturbing for a hotel-chain.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,332 reviews
Inn at Venice Beach
Inn at Venice Beach
#9 of 348 in Los Angeles

Been to Marina del Rey Marriott? Share your experiences!