“Careful what you choose”

Marina del Rey Marriott
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Victoria, Canada
“Careful what you choose”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Marriott Marina del Rey is one of those upscale executive hotels where airline crews like to stay. I was there at a conference which made it more or less affordable, but you'll get dinged hard (around $300 a night) if you just walk in off the street. The hotel is kind of Jekyl and Hyde: the first room I was given was awful: dowdy, uncomfortable furniture, view away from the water and right over the bar. This turned out to be catastrophic: on Friday night the ear-splitting house music and screaming drunken yahoos right beneath my window did not quiet down until 3 AM. After I complained I was given a room on the other side of the hall, facing the Marina: lovely view, complete tranquillity, even the furnishings were more comfy. Staff is great, food OK (watch for the hard sell on the 20$ breakfast buffet). I'd come back if I got another conference rate, but I sure wouldn't stay on the side of the hotel facing away from the sea...(why would management render almost half their hotel uninhabitable just so a few yahoos can whoop it up? Beyond me....)

Room Tip: Stay on the side of the hotel facing the water if you like to get to sleep before 3:00AM
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mike980
AprM, Manager at Marina del Rey Marriott, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We're so glad that you enjoyed the lovely view and complete tranquility. Thank you for mentioning that you'd return. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything we can help you with. Again, thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We booked this hotel because it is across the street from our daughters apartment in Marina Del Rey. It was much nicer than I expected for a Marriott Hotel, the lobby and public areas had all been updated and were very nice and very bustling. The staff we encountered was very friendly and efficient, especially the valet guys! A Buffet Breakfast was included in our room rate and was very nice with a nice selection, comfortable seating both inside and out as you desire. There are several good restaurants within walking distance, the marina is across the street and the oceanfront a few blocks walk away. The room was good, very quiet, the bed and bedding was very comfortable, the bathroom was also very nice but very simple, we did feel that the carpeting and furnishings could use a bit of updating. All in all a good value for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the elevator, some are quite a walk.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AprM, Manager at Marina del Rey Marriott, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks so much for taking a moment to write about your experience. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even better please let us know!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My night at this Marriott was fantastic. The staff was friendly at check-in and check-out. There were great views from the room, with a balcony that allowed for fresh air. Views of the Marina on one side of the hotel. Views of Venice, Santa Monica, and on a clear day the rest of Los Angeles, from the other side of the hotel. The lobby and bar on the ground floor were stylish and chic. My room on the club level was clean and the beds and linens very comfortable. The breakfast on the club level was so-so. A typical hotel continental breakfast - nothing to write home about. Parking across the street is a much cheaper option than valet parking. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and will return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AprM, Manager at Marina del Rey Marriott, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return again! Thank you fro your feedback, we really appreciate it. Hopefully we can make your next stay even better!
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

A fine, welcoming hotel that was convenient for my business trip. Good breakfast arrangements. Close to restaurants etc that are just a short walk en route to the beach and pier. I did not have a car, but my business associate used the public parking lot opposite, by the quayside: very straightforward and much cheaper, evidently, than the hotel parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AprM, Manager at Marina del Rey Marriott, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We're glad you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again at the Marina del Rey Marriott and that we can make your next stay even better.
Fort McMurray, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I bought the room through iTravel 2000 and paid the most I could for what I thought was the best room in the house. I was not happy!
The lobby is quite nice and the fireplaces in the courtyard were very nice. I was able to relax with a cigar and my laptop there in the evening.
When we arrived they made it sound like we were getting a top notch room. What a load of smoke! Walking down the hallway should have been my first clue with the old worn out stained carpets and the smell. we get into the room and it was not at all what I was expecting. I understood I would have a balcony. The balcony in the room was not big enough for me to close the door behind me. I expected a view of the marina. The view i got was a car parkade! I paid $345 per night for the room (3 nights) and then was told by the front clerk that the FULL rate for that room was $290 per night. Not only did I NOT get a deal through iTravel2000 but I paid extra!!
THEN..... they nickel and dime you for everything! If you want internet its $x per day, Parking is $x per day etc etc!
I will not stay here again and it's doubtful that after over 50 booked trips through iTravel2000 that I will book through them agin either!
This was supposed to be a birthday present for my wife. Do you think it made me look good to her?!?!?

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AprM, Manager at Marina del Rey Marriott, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we do appreciate it. To prevent pricing issues like this in the future may we suggest that you book directly with us? We hope that you'll give us another shot and when you do, don't hesitate to reach out and let us know so that we can assure that you don't have another issue like what you experienced. Again, thank you for your time and we appreciate you staying with us at the Marina del Rey Marriott.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This place wasn't fantastic, but was totally fine. A little annoying that internet is $13/day, and that only services one computer. With two of us, I wanted to use the internet too! The second unexpected expense was the $30 for parking each day, valet only. I would recommend looking into public lots in the area for a fraction of the cost.

Near some nice stuff in Marina del Rey, but definitely a trek to downtown LA/Hollywood destinations. The price was right for what seemed like a nice hotel compared to what we were being able to find other places.

The bar was nice, there is a nice outdoor seating area. The food for breakfast was totally fine, and the waiters were very nice, but the buffet is a little bit of a rip-off (I guess they always are).

The gym was a highlight--all individual TV's, complimentary water, towels, and headphones, as well as some healthy snacks (some apples I believe).

Room Tip: the marina view is nice, but damn is it bright in the morning
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we appreciate that you rated our service to be top-notch! Please don't hesitate to let us know how we can improve your experience when you next come to our area. We appreciate that you stayed with us at the Marina del Rey Marriott and hope to see you again.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Everything was very good. The staff is very good. Two negatives:
-they charge for internet service in your room. The "free" service in the lobby is horrid: slow, freezes..just impossible to use. Multiple guests registered complaints, but nothing was fixed.
-there is no way to self park except across the street in the city lot, which is unguarded. Parking by the valet is $28+ per night

• Stayed October 2012
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,332 reviews
Inn at Venice Beach
Inn at Venice Beach
#9 of 348 in Los Angeles

Been to Marina del Rey Marriott? Share your experiences!