“Top Notch Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Sun City West, AZ
“Top Notch Hotel”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is excellent. The lobby is the largest and one of the nicest we have experienced. Private spaces off to the side for conferences,etc.Rooms are very nice,clean and comfortable. Location is choice: across from the marina and near Venice Beach. Many good restaurants within walking distance from hotel. We look forward to our return.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Pros: Room - My room was quite large, with tiny little terrace, and was attractive. Actually, the whole hotel was quite nice looking.
Location - The location isn't nearly as bad as other reviewers have stated. It's a bit of a walk to the beach and restaurants, but not bad at all, even at night for a woman.
Gym - The gym was quite nice for a hotel gym, with plenty of ellipticals and treadmills, all with working tvs and complimentary earphones.

Cons: Service - The lady at check-in was extremely rude to our group of three, insisting we should have three separate reservation numbers for three rooms, despite us showing her our reservation confirmation, with one number and multiple rooms. No exaggeration, it took 10 minutes of her scolding us, sighing, and shaking her head while clicking away on the computer to get her to assign me a room. My coworkers would not be assigned a room yet, because it was before check-in, and she would not call them when their rooms would be ready - they needed to come back and go through this again at the proper time. When I left my room, I almost tripped over someone else's room service dishes left right outside my door. When I came back, two and a half hours later, they were still there. Another afternoon, housekeeping left some items in my room, and I was asked to deliver said items down to the front desk. I then faced questions about it from the front desk person as though I were somehow to blame. All-in-all, very sloppy.
Food - We got some food at the restaurant and some food provided at the conference we were attending, all of which was really bland. I usually don't dock hotels for poor food, but since we were forced to endure their food repeatedly, I'm counting it against them.
Room - The sensor-activated blinding light in the middle of the night when I went to the bathroom got really old really fast. Also, this is yet another hotel that really wants to be a nightclub. I had a really had time falling asleep on Sunday night thanks to the late technofest outside my window. It was a little early, but, well, it was a Sunday, I was jet-lagged, and the whole purpose of a hotel is as a place for people to sleep so I shouldn't have to justify my wanting to sleep. Lack of soundproofing was an overall problem. Luckily I was already getting up at the same time as my neighbors, because I could hear the other guests in adjacent rooms moving around getting ready in the morning.

This place wasn't horrible. It's just yet another pretty hotel trying to be a hot spot and failing at being a decent hotel.

4 Thank parslane
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2012

You will not be disappointed here. The wonderful housekeeper do bring extra hangars the minute I asked, to the front desk staff's prompt attention to requests, and the bellmen offering water bottles whenever they saw me returning from my walk, the service was excellent, friendly and professional. Guest rooms were comfortable and the view was great. I found the hotel very quiet and the staff most accommodating. All this was exactly what the other person just posted and I felt as well. The view is amazing and the beds are very comfortable with large bathrooms. One of my favorite properties and a true gem! Great job.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong. I have been here a few times and all good. Love the motion lights in the rooms a...
Thames, New Zealand
Reviewed June 27, 2012

From our wonderful housekeeper bringing extra hangars the minute I asked, to the front desk staff's prompt attention to requests, and the bellmen offering water bottles whenever they saw me returning from my walk, the service was excellent, friendly and professional. Guest rooms were comfortable and the view was great. I found the hotel very quiet and the staff most accommodating.

Room Tip: 8th/9th floors are preferred, rooms facing the water.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Nicely appointed Marriott property -- room was spacious and clean. Front desk personnel were friendly and efficient. Room service prompt -- quality food. Meeting room downstairs was "dungeon" like due to lack of natural lighting, but service was good and on time.

Room Tip: all rooms are fine -- of course the view of the sea or the city is best!
1 Thank MRL217
San Diego
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We just left today after a four night stay at Marriott Marina Del Rey. We drove up for an extended weekend stay from our home in San Diego.

I'll start with the good:

The views were great and appear to be so on both sides of the hotel and get better the further up you are. We faced Santa Monica and were on the top floor. The rooftop deck was also very beautiful and had great views both ways, northward and toward the marina.

The first night we ordered room service. My wife ordered the penne pasta which was just OK, but I ordered the chicken and it was DIVINE. Whatever sauce the chef uses was amazing. Some of the best chicken I have ever had.

The bell person was very nice as were the valet and the room service personnel. I met one bartender outside of the hotel by chance named Gary and he was very nice and outgoing.

Now the bad:

Marriott Marina del Rey, if you want to be The Palms on the weekend then PLEASE do the right thing and bring your sound proofing up to code in your rooms. We were on the top floor and the DJ music from their "Club" Glow on ground level was so loud it sounded like it was in the next room. After two hours of trying to sleep (with a two year-old) I went down to ask how much longer this was going to be and the front desk person said it stops at 1AM. More realistically 1:30 or so. He said that they usually try not to book certain rooms on Saturday nights so they must make so much money with the "club" that "hotel" no longer receives precedence. They also didn't take this in to consideration when booking our room or any other on that entire side of the hotel. This is the main and biggest complaint I could give any hotel. The purpose of a hotel is so travelers can rest. It is a nice place to sleep and possibly eat. A hub located in a nice area of interest. When a hotel decides that the things that truly don't matter as much should be more important they should stop calling themselves a hotel. So from 9 or 10PM to 1:30 AM on Saturdays this place should be called "Marriott Marina del Rey at Glow" if you are unlucky enough to have booked a room on the north facing side.

Some of their staff were less than personable. The bartenders I met while at the bar don't even talk to the patrons unless they are local: guys who knew their names and clearly live in this area based on their conversations. I think I'm starting to understand the above issue even more now. The girl who ran the restaurant in the morning on Sunday was extremely snooty. A friend and I were enjoying breakfast with my toddler who accidentally broke a water glass. Her reaction was one word in the snippiest of tones possible, "OK!" No, "Is everything OK?" or "Don't worry, these things happen." This girl was just b-to-the-y.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, if you are staying here on the weekend, ask for a room on the south side facing the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank graphicnatured
california
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed here with the family on a weekend night. Check in went smoothly thanks to Kendall, and the family really enjoyed the view from our room, the small, but adequate pool, and the very nice breakfast buffet. During our stay I personally interacted with more than twenty different staff members, from valets, to waiters, to maids and desk clerks, etc. Each and every one of the staff were genuinely pleasant, knowledgeable, and did their best to make us feel welcomed. This is a beautiful, well-located hotel, we would definitely stay here again.

Two very minor annoyances kept this from being 5 stars -

1. My wife and I went to the "Glow" lounge at about 9:30 pm for a drink. The place was very nice, and there was plenty of unoccupied seats, but they were all (estimate about 30 percent of the capacity) "Reserved." We were told we could sit there anyway until the parties came in, but it wsn't exactly welcoming and I felt like I had just snuck into the box seats from the bleachers. We downed our drinks and moved on.

2. There is a motion detector light at the door to the room (inside). It is undoubtedly designed to keep you from splitting your head open trying to get to the bathroom at night, problem is, it activates a large light in the "hallway" closet that both startles you and potentially wakes up everyone else. Would recommend a much smaller light in or near the bathroom.

Room Tip: Even numbers look over the marina to the south (front side) of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Hotel Erwin
Hotel Erwin
#11 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Marina del Rey Marriott? Share your experiences!