“nice place, close to the beach”

Marina del Rey Marriott
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
California
“nice place, close to the beach”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed at the Mariott in Marina del Rey last weekend for a conference. I am an elite member of another chain. Was very impressed with the service I received at this hotel. The front desk was friendly and fixed a little glitch with my reservations right away.
The rooms are comfortable and of good size. The beds are firm. There is a little safe in the room to lock up valuables.
On the top floor is a nice patio where you can land in your private helicopter or just hang out and enjoy the view and the sun. It's nice up there at night too.

Room Tip: The rooms facing north can be a little noisy from a bar in front of the hotel. Valet parking costs...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Liked this facility, its (small) restaurant, the lobby bar, the meeting rooms, and the view. Everyplace I went was very clean and presentable, including the public bathrooms. The food was good and the wine selection excellent. Staff friendly and competent. BUT, I didn't have hot water on two of three mornings. The first time I called the desk said the maintenance crew was working on "the pump." The second day I left a note for the GM at the desk, never heard from him. When I checked out, the person asked about my stay, and I told her that I enjoyed it very much after I got over my morning funk because of a cold shower. She immediately apologized and adjusted the rate, which I appreciated, except I'd have much rather had hot water. Also, I drank the water in the room the first night and another bottle never reappeared and I wasn't billed for it, so I asked her to add that. I'd go back to this hotel but I'd darn sure ask for assurance that any sort of water issues like I previously experienced had been resolved.

Room Tip: Marina side, as high as they can get you.
San Diego
Reviewed March 21, 2012

As others have stated, you can't beat this location. Right across the street from the marina and bay, a 5 minute walk to the Venice Pier, plenty of restaurants within walking distance (stay away from Pasta Factory). I would definitely stay on the marina side - it is a beautiful view, although it is odd to see the sun rise over the water on the west coast instead of setting, due to the angle of the bay. The staff is extremely friendly (valet service only). Rooms are normal Mariott sized rooms, and as always, the bed is great. There is some wear starting to show, especially in the hallway carpets, which need to be replaced. Concierge lounge has better food than most other Marriotts (if you are gold). Lobby bar is big, with plenty of tables and chairs. Free Wifi in the lobby...but not in the rooms? Still bugs me that hotels want to charge for internet in the room. Providing internet access is more expensive than providing TV service? Nice pool area, although it is on the street, so there is some traffic noise. Would stay here again and again.

Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed at this property over the weekend and it is a fantastic location. Within short walking distance to Venice Beach. The rooms were nice and I had a great view of the Marina from the 7th floor. The concierge room is closed on the weekends but that is not a big deal. The food is great, especially the deserts.

The major downside of this place is the parking fee. Make sure you factor in the $28 fee when planning out your stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the marina.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tamacnab
Florida
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We could not have picked a better place to stay for our trip to Los Angeles, the Marriott in Marina Del Rey was close enough to everything and yet in a serene and beautiful location with amazing views. Close enough to walk to so many resturants and the Venice pier, friendly and helpful staff a great lobby bar and having a handicapped traveler in the group was never an issue the bellman and valets were extraordinary. I heartly recommend this hotel, Marriott International should be proud of the entire operation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank reillyp04
Acton, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Less than a quarter mile from the beach, plenty of restaurants right out the back steps, this elegant hotel could not be more perfect in terms of location and overall accommodations. While the restaurant is quite pricey ($14.95 for breakfast buffet), that's what you should expect in an upscale area like Marina Del Rey. (We had our breakfasts at the bagel place right around the corner after the first day.) The rooms are basic Marriott rooms, but half the hotel faces the marina, so you have a nice view.

The heated pool and hot tub were nice, although it's a bit noisy out there from the street noise. Plenty of large towels, shaded sunbathing. Unfortunately, smoking is allowed out there, which surprised me. You pretty much have to valet park the car so you have to add $28 to the cost of your stay. The valet service was excellent; you can send a text and the car will be there in about 10 minutes.

We had an excellent stay and I would definitely return there if good fortune allowed.

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I would like to start by saying I accidently booked my stay at the Courtyard Marriot (5 minutes away) in Marina Del Rey... And almost had a panic attack when my taxi dropped us off from LAX. Once I switched reservations, I was thrilled to be in my room in this wonderful hotel.

Arrival:
Upon arrival, our bags were taken and we were greated by very friendly Marriott employees. When you walk in the desk is fully staffed with capable individuals, there is a fruit-infused water dispensor (I had a cup every time I was in the lobby). The lobby itself is fun to be in. There is a full bar, lounge area, and a dining area for lunches with TVs.

Room:
Our room was facing the Marina, there is a sliding door that opens to a very slim area where you can stand outside. Not enough room for chairs, but if you want fresh air or are a smoker, this is ideal. The bed was plush, and extremely confortable (we had a king size bed in the room). The room was large, with extra seating, ample storage for clothes, and a great TV. The bathroom is big and kept clean. We had a minifridge brought into our room, they wheel them in if you ask for one.

Pool:
There is a pool, of decent size, with a lot of lounge chairs surrounding it. My only issue was that the only time it catches sun is before 1pm. After that the hotel blocks the sun. They supply towels, and have servers to bring food/drinks if you want to order any. There are dining tables out of the pool area along the building, and a gazebo that a lot of people smoke cigars in.

Gym:
YES there is a gym, with enough equipment to keep you busy. There have a water fountain and healthy snacks (fruits). Cardio equipment, dumbells (not over 45 lbs) and other new machines. It was only me and my girlfriend when we went down, so we had the whole place to ourselves.

Patio area:
There is a lounge type area across the lobby from the entrance when you first come in. it has plently of couches and other plush chairs to sit in. Fire pits all over to keep you warm at night. It turns into a pretty wild club at night. They set up a bar area and it gets pretty packed. DJs and dancing and all that.

Location:
A 10 minute walk from the beach, and the Venice Beach 'boardwalk' There are a couple of decent restaraunts along the walk, and a Starbucks. Good bars for night-time drinking, and one place had a day-time happy hour with endless mimosas. There's a liquor store around the corner, open unitl midnight. Marina across the street with a mini beach, and rentals. Short drive to Santa Monica.

Overall it was a pleasant stay. Room was kinda of expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the Marina have a good view, but you can hear the traffic outside if you keep the sl...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Hotel Erwin
Hotel Erwin
#12 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Marina del Rey Marriott? Share your experiences!