“I reserved my room through Priceline. I...”
Review of Jolly Roger Hotel

Jolly Roger Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Portland, Maine
“I reserved my room through Priceline. I...”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I reserved my room through Priceline. I had to add an extra night to my reservation, and unfortunately Priceline instead cancelled my first reservation and only kept the extra night. At the hotel, the receptionist Donna, went through every receipt and found my original reservation. Needless to say, my vacation was saved. All of the receptionists there were most helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable, facing a quiet courtyard away from the busy street. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Parking was quite easy with a lot for a few cars in front, and a fairly large garage for the majority of guests. They have a nice Continental breakfast with healthy choices available. They also have laundry services. I felt very safe there, and I look forward to going back. A great spot!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Seattle
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I reviewed and reviewed and reviewed again dozens of hotels in the LA area and I kept coming back to this one because of the perfect value/positive feedback combo and it worked. The Jolly Roger is exactly as everyone says. It is pleasant, clean, safe and affordable. Of course for the price you sacrafice certain frills and extras, for example, I had to leave a note for housekeeping to vacuum the room as the first 2 days the floor was not cleaned (bathroom either) but, once I left the note, it was done daily. Another example is the hot tub, I dont remember it being advertised so, I wouldnt call it false advertising but they may as well not have one. The hot tub is on the main road (which is very busy) and the jets barely work. Its like sitting in a hot tub of water on a major road.
Other than that though, they did have a great breakfast, more than enough to choose from to get you going (standard stuff but, remember, you are not paying that much!) and the lady that works there is not only super friendly, but almost obsessive about keeping it clean and stocked. When it comes to communal eating areas, that's a good thing!
We got a room that faced a residential street and between that and keeping the AC on to drown out other guests, we slept great. The rooms are spacious and the beds comfy. However, if you get a room on the main road, I imagine it would be quite different, it was a really busy road.
I would absolutely stay again and tell my friends (who don't mind living without frills and resort style lodging). It is close to Venice Beach as well as freeway entrances. There is also a Costco (need cheap food in a hurry? Costco wrap for $4! A whole pizza for $10..you dont have to be a member as it is an outside eating area) an Albertsons and an in and out burger a mile up the road. Pretty much everything you need is right around you.
Another fun thing about it was that it seemed like we were the only ones speaking English. All the other guests seemed to be from other European Countries. While eating breakfast each morning you would hear French, German, Swiss, etc..to me it added to the experience.
A+ to the Jolly Roger!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We spent one night here after a return sailboat trip from Catalina Island to Marina Del Rey. The hotel was very close to the marina. It had underground free parking. The rooms were on a scale of 1-10 about a 7 or 8 but it was nice and quiet and they had a nice breakfast, cereal, toast coffe juice with outdoor seating in a quaint little courtyard (though it was a little too chilly for us to sit outside).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Buderim, Queensland
Reviewed June 13, 2010

The welcome by Donna was outstanding, the peace and quiet, the lovely room, the good breakfast and fabulous parking facilities.
A little place in heaven on the Los Angeles beaches, near Venice.
Enjoy it as I did!
Mariana Amar

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Indianapolis
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I stayed at the Jolly Roger for 7 nights during the Thanksgiving Holiday. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. Very comfortable. The microwave and fridge really came in handy. The fridge is fairly large and has a very roomy freezer. I was able to buy snacks and frozen dinners from Albertsons to save on the cost of eating out every night. For me it was a long stretch to walk to the beach but if you walk a 1/2 block west, right in front of the gas station you can catch the #1 Culver City Bus which will take you to Venice Beach for $1. The breakfast was continental but sufficient. They dont have Equal or Splenda so take your own artificial sweetner for coffee or tea. Very professional staff. The bed is comfy. Its not a 4 star but the room was more than adequate and the linens, bathroom and counter tops were very clean. Hotel was quiet for the most part. I heard nothing from the neighboring rooms but a few times there were people being kind of loud and maybe running down the hall. Kids maybe? Dont know but it only hapened twice. I guess you can expect to hear some noise when sharing a facility with other guests. They do have a room serivce menu from outside vendors that will deliver to the hotel for a small charge as well a lots of brochures on tours that will pick you up at the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. If you want a comfortable stay close to beach attractions at a good value, I would recommend the Jolly Roger. I am a solo female traveler and felt very safe in the room, grounds and parking garage. Unless I hit the lotto this will be my hotel in the L.A. area from now on!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed December 28, 2009

really nice hotel. nothing special, but standard breakfast, nice rooms, i felt really comfy!
there was a crazy woman @ the breakfast room, screaming "candoleeza, candoleeza..." but it was cool.
really. :D

Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Norway
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed 22 nights on Jolly Roger, from mid september to mid october. I wish to say thanks to the excellent staff on jolly roger. Thanks making our vacation perfect. The hotel is nice and very clean. Has a jacuzzi and a little pool in the building next to the hotel. It also has complimentary parking both a few spots outside and many parking spots in the garage under hotel. They also have a ok breakfast. The price for longer stay is very low, specially when you see how close too attractions and freeways the hotel are.

Thanks again

Hotel Erwin
#10 of 351 in Los Angeles
Jamaica Bay Inn
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Jolly Roger Hotel? Share your experiences!