“Excellent Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Norway
“Excellent Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed 22 nights on Jolly Roger, from mid september to mid october. I wish to say thanks to the excellent staff on jolly roger. Thanks making our vacation perfect. The hotel is nice and very clean. Has a jacuzzi and a little pool in the building next to the hotel. It also has complimentary parking both a few spots outside and many parking spots in the garage under hotel. They also have a ok breakfast. The price for longer stay is very low, specially when you see how close too attractions and freeways the hotel are.

Thanks again

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WEloveLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Citizen of the World
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

Stayed a total of 23 days over the end of Jan and beginning of Feb. I emailed manager about an extended stay rate, which he quoted me promptly. The front desk staff are organized and pleasant to speak with. As I was going to be at the hotel for awhile, I pre-shipped a number of boxes with materials I needed for the stay, which the hotel stored for me, helped me with and then carted away the extra boxes promptly. My only niggle was with the street noise on the outside of the hotel where my room was. There are courtyard rooms with no noise and, if ambient noise disturbs you greatly, insist you have a courtyard room. I adjusted quickly, though, and frankly for the rate and the level of service, I have zero complaints. Each day a maid changed my towels/took out the trash, etc. or, if she noticed my room becoming untidy, would take it upon herself to clean up a little, more than the 1x/week included in the rate. When I had trouble hooking up a small (cheap) DVD player, the manager came to my room and arranged it himself (after an extremely helpful maintenance guy, Dave, tried to help.) If I had trouble with the hotel router, the front desk would immediately reboot to solve the problem (I used the internet continuously for 23 days and had 1 problem which was fixed in 2 minutes.) If you need a cab or a car, the staff will be right on it. The breakfast fare is cereal and toast but the milk is fresh and cold, the coffee hot, the eating area clean. They have installed digital TV in every room now but with the beach a few blocks away and with the hotel positioned at the start of Abbot Kinney Blvd, there's not much need to stay indoors. This is probably one of the coolest areas of LA and the JRH is the perfect base for exploring. As to the complaint about snoring, I may have heard my neighboring rooms 2x in 23 days but I've stayed in a Ritz Carlton and been kept awake by neighboring fanfare--this is a hotel. Their clientel all seemed pleasant--this is hardly a "run down" place--it has the feel of a bargain, tropical hotel. There are a number of good local restaurants that will deliver any type of cuisine in 30 minutes or less (who needs over-priced room-service?) As for cleanliness, I watched as their staff cleaned that place every day from top to tail. (During my stay an outside door began to squeek and Dave was out there fixing it immediately.) Parking, for car or bike, is ample and free. The furniture is not hand-made Shaker pieces and the linens are not, well, linen but everything is clean and tidy (and they'd be bankrupt if they provided high-end ammenities at bargain prices.) If you're looking for the Ritz, stay there. If you're looking for a place that beats the pants off the chain hotels in the surrounding area, stay at the Jolly Roger.

Sorry for the long review but I have used tripadvisor regularly for a couple years and I know these reviews have an impact--for the way they treated me during the length of my stay, these guys deserve a good one from me.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank midageslacker
Mill Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

We come to Venice Beach for meetings at least 3 or 4 times a year and have tried other hotels in the area but have found that for the money the Jolly Roger surpasses all the others. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is good and the staff are the most down to earth and proffessional people you could meet. The hotel has a juccuzi that faces Washington Blvd and it's always fun just kicking back and enjoying all the activities on the boulevard.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

The person next door to me snores very loudly, so I asked to be moved. The manager refused to move me. He said that they had never had a complaint like that before! He said he could not move me, unless I wanted to pay more money! The place has silverfish and no screens on the windows, so when you open the windows the bugs come in. I had to hold down the handle on my toilet to flush it. The shower/bath plumbing upstairs backs up into my tub, and I find hair and stuff in the bottom of my tub. I told management and nothing was ever done. Gross hotel with a rude unprofessional manager. Staff is fine. Maids are nice.

Stayed March 2008
jollyroger2904, General Manager at Jolly Roger Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2008
Regarding these comments. In fact I have never recieved a complaint about snoring. When the guest asked to move to another room I informed her that we didn't have a room available at the time and that the room she was in was priced at a discounted extended stay rate therefore if she moved, the rate would be higher. Regarding the screens, we have been in the process of repairing and replacing screens. I have maintence records on file verifying that all the plumbing issues were repaired the same day of the guest complaints. And lastly I have always treated our guest cordially and with the utmost respect.

Travelers are raving about these Marina del Rey hotels

zanesville,ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

Stayed A week at the Jolly Roger and enjoyed the stay very much. David the Manager was so sweet and helpful. And the staff was more than helpful with our needs. The rooms were very clean and the pillows were a dream to sleep on. No noise whatsoever did we hear. The location was very excellent and easy access to much of what were wanted.Loved the quaint cafes and the morning breakfast. I would recommend staying here to anyone who asked where would be a good place to stay. I want to thank them for all there hospitality and hope to see them again when we visit this summer.

• Liked — the staff and rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

We went to Santa Monica and Venice Beach for a day, then decided we were too tired to drive back to Palm Desert, so we walked-in to this hotel.

The room was large. There was a sofa in addition to the two queens, which is hard to find if you are two adults with three kids.

The bed was fine, the pillows were sort of flat (like in many hotels -- I like them fluffy). The walls were thin, but when I complained about the neighbors, the noise stopped immediately. The management was very responsive. The breakfast was a typical continental. The hotel was fine, and seemed safe enough. The location was great (very close to the beach!), and the price was great, considering. The outside courtyard was calm and peaceful. I was very surprised to find something like it on such short notice on my budget.

Nothing fancy, but a good value. I would stay there again for a night or two.

• Liked — Good location and price, large room.
  • Disliked — Thin walls.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank njcronk
Medford, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

I was looking for a hotel to stay while I searched for an apartment. Other places I had looked at had terrible reviews and talk about 'shady" characters in the area that made me a bit leary. I finally asked a realtor I was working with for an affordable good place to stay and they recommended the 'Jolly Roger'.. it was an excellent choice for me.

I booked directly with the hotel and had friendly service from the get-go. I was greeted by a very pleasant reception staff member.. a great conversationalist... btw. My room was of good size, clean, in a nice quiet corner and even though this hotel is on a busy BLVD, I never heard any traffic or even any hall way noise.

The king size bed was comfortable and made up fresh everyday, TV service good as well. The only thing I had trouble with in my room was occassionally the wireless service was not functioning and I had to go down to the small lobby to connect... an inconvenince if you're in need of online service frequently after a long day.

The bathroom was clean and uncramped with the sink located outside of the bathroom in little pantry. There was also a small refrigerator and micro in my room as well.

The continental breakfast is small pickin's but adequate if you're not a big breakfast eater like myself.. standards.. coffee, teas, juice, very high in sugar 'breakfast cakes', toast, English muffins, etc.. There are also a few vending machines in the lobby hallway as well as hot water for tea, instant coffee and hot chocolate.. which is always free in the lobby. And you can also drive down Abbott Kinney in Venice for a choice of cafe's (I recommend Abbott Kinney Pizza and a nice salad/bakery place on the corner of San Juan and Kinney) or places on Washington BLVD too.

There was ample parking under the hotel and I felt very safe coming and going each day and night.

All in all, I feel it was a good place to stay and if you stay for 7 days or more you get a break on your charge/night. Wish I had stayed the 7 instead of 6, lol.. could have used that break.

Cheers to the pleasant staff of the Jolly Roger..

• Liked — Pleasant staff, location to my activities, cleanliness, quietness
  • Disliked — interupted wireless service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
4.5 of 5 stars 677 reviews
Marina Del Rey Hotel
#1 of 11 in Marina del Rey
4.5 of 5 stars 495 reviews

Been to Jolly Roger Hotel? Share your experiences!