“Ex Motel good value.”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Ex Motel good value.”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed 4nights and we found it very good the staff were friendly and it was very good value for money.
We could walk to the beach and there was plenty going on within walking distances round the motel.
Good breakfast served in the dining room every morning between 7and10.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were on our last stop on our Route 66 tour,without a hotel booking on the Memorial Day week-end,which was a real challenge finding a reasonably priced hotel in the Santa Monica area.However ,we were delighted to find a suite at Jolly Roger Hotel.On arrival,we were greeted by a charming and very helpful male receptionist. He gave us a suite in a nicer part of the hotel,as well as extending the Jacuzzi closing time by one hour to accommodate our needs.The breakfast was adequate,with the usual fare of cereals ,yoghurt ,fruit etc etc.,which was all we usually need to start the day.The Jolly Roger Hotel is a delightful place to stay,an I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for one at back of the building,to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here one night after Coachella (and not showering for 4 days) so I really just needed a good, cheap place with a nice shower to rest in. There is nothing too special about the hotel (it does have a hot tub) but you get what you pay and I was happy with it.

The only negative was when we first arrived we hadn't booked anything but had seen on bookings.com that a room with 2 queens would cost $122 for the night. The man on reception said he can only give it to use for $135 even though we could have just easily left, connected to wi-fi, booked the room on bookings.com and then come back. When we mentioned this to him he told us that if we want a cheaper hotel to go somewhere else.

The woman on reception after that was very nice though :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve M
Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at Jolly Roger April 2013. I had an unexpected accident and broke my ankle in La Jolla and drove up to my next reserved hotel which was Jolly Rogers in Marina Del Rey to get close to LAX. Two attendants Dan and Terry went above and beyond to help me. When I returned home I reflected back at all the details they paid to ensuring my safety. My room was picked five steps from where I parked my car. The morning I left Terry was at my door with a chair to wheel me to my car and he carried my bags out to my car started my car and turned it around so the drivers side would be closer and fewer step taken on my crutches. The most humbling part of the experience was their genuine humility and pride they took in their jobs of working in public service. It seems so trivial to mention the room, wifi, & beds were fine but nothing in comparison to the service. I was touched by two angels.

Patricia Dugger

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TrishDugger
bittern
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel is near the marina and beach in Venice beach. Beds very confortable, wifif works well, and free parking. Donna, on front desk when we arrived, was terrific, she helped with local restaurant knowledge, supermarkets and activities. The breakfast is served in the cafe on 2nd floor and was reasonable, fruit, cereal, breads and coffee,tea, juices. Good price for a good hotel

Room Tip: upstairs away from road noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was a short distance from the Los Angeles airport. Big mistake. I travel often with my teenage children and always keep this in mind for safety reasons. Jolly Roger was the worst value for my money in a long time. The hotel does not look anything like the pictures it portrays. It is rundown and dirty. I now wish I had taken "real" pictures while there to post here. This location is very urban, not to mention the guest who had a "hooker" with him and his 12 pack of beer in the elevator. Perfect visual for this motel. We did not stay a second night here. For less money we sayed in LAX airport area hotel, (LaQuinta), and were very pleased with the cleanliness and "safe" feeling there. Only motel we stayed at on our week in California that I regreted. Trust this review and stay anywhere else. Marina Del Ray is nice, this motel is not.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Harry H
David D, General Manager at Jolly Roger Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Upon reading your review I was surprised that you would describe the location of the hotel an "urban" area. The think that the home owners of the Million dollar homes surrounding the hotel would would not agree to with such a term. Regarding the "hooker" in the elevator I don't understand how you can judge a person by the way they might dress. We do not allow parties but if a guest wants to have a beer or glass or wine in their room it's basically none of my business. In your reference to not feeling safe, the hotel has 24 security plus there are 20 high tech surveillance cameras throughout the property. Regarding the cleanliness issue. I don't agree with the statements made. If we were a filthy hotel as described I don't think that we would have the high rate of repeat guest. I get remarks everyday regarding how the hotel is clean so I don't understand how you came to this conclusion.

Travelers are raving about these Marina del Rey hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Great location near Marina & restaurants Had dinner at beach 26 which was 3 doors down. Wonderful food & chintzy garden. One of many good places recommended by the hotel. Staff helpful & nothing too much trouble

• Stayed October 2012
Hotel Erwin
#11 of 350 in Los Angeles
Jamaica Bay Inn
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Jolly Roger Hotel? Share your experiences!