“This Ain't The Marriott”
Review of Jolly Roger Hotel

Jolly Roger Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Reviewed November 20, 2011

While "this ain't the Marriott" is definitely accurate, here are some positives to consider:
- the price is right (about $100+ish per nght)
- it is clean (the sheets were white and clean, the towels were white and clean - though small)
- the people at the front desk are friendly
- there is a vending machine with snacks and soft drinks on property
- there is a gas station next door in case the vending machine runs out of things (diet coke, in my case)
- the parking is easy and safe
-there are 2 good restaurants next door: C&O Cucina for Italian food, and Thai East Wind for Thai food, both within a block and surprisingly good
- the TV had good reception
- the breakfast is nice, as is the woman running it
- there is a computer and printer in the lobby area

Overall, this is a great place for people needing a bed for the night; it is not a hotel to hang out in or be Wow'd by. It is simple, clean. Many international travelers (overheard 3 different languages at breakfast, and got to practice my French).

Room 314 overlooks a nice street and is quiet.

One easy fix for the hotel that would make it much better for me and likely others: please clean the windows inside and out and the screens! :-)

If you are looking for a clean, safe spot where you can save money then this is a-ok 3 star.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the side street
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Santenay

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I was more than happy with my stay at the Jolly Roger..from when I rang to confirm my booking just prior to arriving to when I left via shuttle to LAX, I found the staff (particularly both girls in the office and the 'continental breakfast kitchen') to be willing to help in any way possible and great with advice on things to see and do..that 'local' knowledge that is imperative in a city you haven't visited before....yes, the rooms are a little dated but everything worked fine and the cleanliness (which is more important to me anyway) was of a high standard..the continental breakfast each morning(included in the price) was a real bonus...I did not make use of the pool as it was in an 'annexe' acroos a small street from the main building..I did not have the time to use the spa either though it looked very clean and inviting...The JR is about a 15-20 mins walk from Venice Beach which was fine for me but may not be for others..a little away from the main action but that was ok...I would definately stay there again!

Room Tip: Probably a room maybe overlooking the courtyard not overlooking the main road if that worries you an...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank salvationjane
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Jolly Roger went beyond our expectations: very friendly staff, large rooms, excellent breakfast, free Wifi, and all this only 2 Km from wonderful Venice Beach.
Only con: the bath/shower is a bit aged...

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank PaoloP66
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This hotel is not fancy. But, for the price, the location is great, the rooms are clean and well kept and includes a continental breakfast. Hotel also has free parking and wi-fi. Perfect for the budget traveler.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mariemarblehead
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We were Very Happy with the Hotel, the Staff & the Breakfast, which was Free.
The Hotel arranged a Tour around LA for 5 hrs, this was very Interesting & well worth doing.
We would stay again No Problem & Thank You Jolly Roger for Having us.
Lesley & Phil Barnes/Smith WA Australia

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed at the motel because of trip advisor reviews, but found it lacking compared to other hotels in LA.

This wouldn't normally have given me reason to give a bad report, however I left a (hard to replace) computer cable in the room. No response from two emails, little help from telephone calls and belittled when I finally visited them. They still haven't told me that they've checked the room.

I think you could find better.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Garmob
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Jolly Roger Hotel in Marina Del Rey. We chose it based off of the price and location (close to the beach, and close to the club we were going to), and had no idea what we were in for. We stepped inside and were greeted warmly, and got into our room right away. The room was large and clean, even if the fixtures were a bit dated. The off street parking in a lower level parking area was a major plus. I'm so glad we chose this hotel over others in the area, and if we ever come back to the area, we will definitely chose the Jolly Roger again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Hotel Erwin
Hotel Erwin
#12 of 357 in Los Angeles
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Jolly Roger Hotel? Share your experiences!