“Enjoyed my stay at the Jolly Roger...”
Review of Jolly Roger Hotel

Jolly Roger Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I was looking for a hotel to stay while I searched for an apartment. Other places I had looked at had terrible reviews and talk about 'shady" characters in the area that made me a bit leary. I finally asked a realtor I was working with for an affordable good place to stay and they recommended the 'Jolly Roger'.. it was an excellent choice for me.

I booked directly with the hotel and had friendly service from the get-go. I was greeted by a very pleasant reception staff member.. a great conversationalist... btw. My room was of good size, clean, in a nice quiet corner and even though this hotel is on a busy BLVD, I never heard any traffic or even any hall way noise.

The king size bed was comfortable and made up fresh everyday, TV service good as well. The only thing I had trouble with in my room was occassionally the wireless service was not functioning and I had to go down to the small lobby to connect... an inconvenince if you're in need of online service frequently after a long day.

The bathroom was clean and uncramped with the sink located outside of the bathroom in little pantry. There was also a small refrigerator and micro in my room as well.

The continental breakfast is small pickin's but adequate if you're not a big breakfast eater like myself.. standards.. coffee, teas, juice, very high in sugar 'breakfast cakes', toast, English muffins, etc.. There are also a few vending machines in the lobby hallway as well as hot water for tea, instant coffee and hot chocolate.. which is always free in the lobby. And you can also drive down Abbott Kinney in Venice for a choice of cafe's (I recommend Abbott Kinney Pizza and a nice salad/bakery place on the corner of San Juan and Kinney) or places on Washington BLVD too.

There was ample parking under the hotel and I felt very safe coming and going each day and night.

All in all, I feel it was a good place to stay and if you stay for 7 days or more you get a break on your charge/night. Wish I had stayed the 7 instead of 6, lol.. could have used that break.

Cheers to the pleasant staff of the Jolly Roger..

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank datalova

Reviewed November 19, 2007

The staff, office, maintenance are friendly, helpful and professional. The rooms are very clean. I have no complaints what so ever about this wonderful little hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I would like to reccomend any visitor to the Venice Beach area to make there choice for a hotel the Jolly Roger Hotel. After checking rates at surrounding hotels I stopped at the Jolly Roger Hotel. I was geeted at the front desk by a very nice gentleman named Lane. He quoted me the rate of $105.00 per night which was at least $30.00 dollars below the other hotels. I checked in and I can tell you that if you want a clean, safe and spacious hotel room. this is the place. Alhough the room was very simple it came with a micro wave and fridge and the showers were the best I have ever experienced. They also serve a nice continental breakfast. and there is free wireless internet. I will certainly make this my home away from home when traveling to LA

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Stayed one night at the Jolly Roger - this hotel or should I say Motel is not very Jolly! We were in Venice Beach and had decided to stay the night - could not find anything as all hotels, motels were booked - the Jolly Roger was the only thing available. One night at this run down motel cost us $140 for two adults. Room smelled - very basic and dirty. Box spring was ripped in several places - cover had cigarette burn marks on it - mattress and pillows were horrible. Only good thing about this place is you get a free breakfast which my husband didn't want to try due to the room. But to our surprise the breakfast was not that bad and the little cafe they had it in was clean. If you plan on staying in the Venice Beach or Santa Monica area, plan ahead and prebook a nice hotel. I would never stay here again even if someone paid me.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2007

This is a good value for the location. My husband and I stayed here when traveling to LA for a holiday weekend. On a Saturday night, we also paid $95.00, which we later found out was a fair price. The room we stayed in was adjacent to the lobby, where there is a computer connected to the internet.

This is a clean and safe motel. There is some traffic noise from the busy intersection outside, but we did not hear noise from the lobby, even though we were located one door away.

It would be nice if the breakfast lasted beyond 9:30 a.m.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frequent_Flier_SoCal
Reviewed March 5, 2007

No complaints whatsoever! Management was friendly, the continental breakfast was above average, good location, a parking garage, and both the TV and the wireless internet worked. Hot shower with great water pressure, too. Calling it a "hotel" is kind of a stretch,and though it was somewhat expensive ($95/night), it was priced the same as much lesser motel establishments in the area (and those places didn't even have internet!). It's right next door to an excellent Thai restaurant. Comfortable bed, clean room, very nice 2nd floor courtyard, great LA feel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fistcity
Reviewed March 3, 2007

My girlfriend and I take a break from the Valley and goto the Marina sometimes on the weekend. We were down here on Saturday and decided to stay over night. It works out great because we can take a cab right up to Main Street in Santa Monica and check out the bars as well as take a walk down to the Venice Pier.

I called Jolly Roger and got a reservation with no problem. It was $95 for the room - which is great. The place was remodeled a few years ago (I used to live on Washington Blvd). It's a little tacky (the inside rooms are laid out weird and look like they were remodled by someone's uncle).

That being said, there are some great waterfalls, friendly people and everything is clean. There is also plenty of parking (free) which is an advantage for the area. The shower water was hot and we watched HBO on Saturday night before going out. They extended us a late checkout until 12:00 noon on Sunday which was perfect.

The only thing I would change is the free breakfast (which we were looking forward to) ended very early. I think on a Sunday they should start it a little later and end a little later.

That all being said, I'll come back on our next weekend trip. It's a good value and great location.

Stayed: March 2007
#2 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Cadillac Hotel
Cadillac Hotel
#257 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Jolly Roger Hotel? Share your experiences!