“D'Anna Thai Kitchen, Marina, California (near Monterey)”
Review of D'Anna Thai - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
D'Anna Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having been to Thailand, I can say that even there no two kitchens prepare similar dishes exactly alike, in my experience. So for Thai food in particular I judge their dishes by their own merits, not by comparison with other recipes. Other reviews have varied widely in grading, but I go by value for cost, ambience, service, but mostly by the way the food tastes. They have an excellent, clearly presented menu with very, very good photos of their dishes, really second only to the plastic replica displays of dishes commonly found in Japanese restaurants! For our first experience at that restaurant, we played somewhat safe and tried three dishes- the Pad Thai- $8.95- (of course, for a first-time dining experience there) then the New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels with tamarind sauce -$10.95-, then the Panang curry-$10.95-, as well as a bowl of rice for each of us ($1.00/bowl). The cooks will prepare their dishes as you like, hot (pepper hot) to your taste. I recommend avoiding being heroic, in other words go with a mild heat, for your first try. The Pad Thai was good, very acceptable, but the real stars of the evening were the mussels and the curry. I've never had mussels (which I really like) like this before, really, really tasty (10 per serving)! We both licked the sauce from the shells...the curry was just right, very mild in "heat", even my wife liked it- and soooo good! Lots of delicious flavor, and sweet, but not too sweet. Lots of sauce, more than enough for the bowls of rice. I also wanted to try the fresh rolls (like spring rolls) and also the soft-shelled crab on fried rice, but that will have to wait for another time! Too many interesting dishes to list but those who try the place out won't be disappointed! You can go online to see their menu. A very nice dining experience, very casual but nice enough to have an evening out (like our wedding anniversary). One of Marina's better values, for sure...unlike so many restaurants in nearby Monterey-Carmel-PG, which all to often offer indifferent food at not so indifferent prices! The bill for two (with a couple of Thai beers) came to $45 with tax, not bad at all. No one left hungry! I look forward to trying some of their other very appetizing dishes in the near future. (PS I do most of the cooking at home, nice to find a place with good food that we can afford to eat out at more often).

The restaurant is open for lunch & dinner, Monday-Saturday. (831) 883-9399

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The name has been changed now but the food is wonderful. The panang curry is awesome with pork, white meat chicken or fish. I used to live in Thailand when I was young and think this is one of the most authentic thai food restaurants I have been to. Everything I have ordered has been wonderful.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Mai Thai (aka D'Anna Thai) is a bit off the beaten path (Reindollar is not a main street, and the restaurant sits a bit back from the road), but well worth seeking out. Thai food is equal to anything in the area, prices are very reasonable, and service is friendly (family-owned and operated place). The Tom Yom soup is strangely addictive, cooking is authentic, some dishes are pretty unusual. Not a tourist place because of its location, but I've been there on Tuesday nights, and gotten the last table.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Nice owners-chef and waiter(yes, they are there and making sure things are great.) I've been going here for years. The food is good or great depending on dish. Price makes all dishes great. Don't expect fancy or high-end, just great value.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

Warning - usually mediocre & slow service. They keep up with their take out demand at the expense of in-house diners, but that even that can be slow too. Has some unique dishes not available at any other competitor. Great quality. Good Price. I cook Thai at home and lived there for 3 years.