“Slightly above average”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Nipomo, California
“Slightly above average”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Check-in was efficient. The room was clean, but oddly arranged. The bed was average, comfort-wise. Near Highway 1, could hear trucks. The location is good, if your objective is Marina State Beach, otherwise off the beaten path.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Vacaville, California, Usa
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is my 5th or 6th time staying in this motel. I am part of a motorcycle group than annually tours the Coast of California and we always stay here. We try to stay in Best Westerns. Heretofore the request for ground floor room has been met which accomodates the ability to easily transfer stuff from the bike to the room. It did not this year, causing both extra work and difficulty in monitoring my bike. In addition, the door handle on the room came off in my hand making egress unsafe. Staff were accomodating and the location is excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our family stayed here for three nights during what must of been spring break because the hotel was definitely full. Despite that we didn't have any of the issues that other reviewers did about hearing other occupants through the walls. We were very pleased with how nice the hotel was, especially given how affordable it was compared to the other hotels in the area during spring break. The rooms were very clean with updated decor and some of the rooms we noticed had a mini fridge and microwave while others did not, so if those are important to you be sure to request them. The location is also excellent with it being right of the freeway (we never heard any traffic noise at night) and a three minute walk to the beach. Breakfast was basic but decent. There were no hot items besides waffles, and many of the more popular items get taken earlier in the morning, but I can't complain because it's still better than the cereal I'd be eating if I was at home. Overall I was very impressed with the hotel and next time we take a trip to Santa Cruz or Monterrey we'll definitely consider staying here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California, Usa
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stay at the BW Beach Dunes Inn every 3 weeks or so on business. I like the location near the beach. The staff is very friendly. The "over-sized King rooms", which I usually get, are big and everything is clean. Cleanliness is the most important thing for me, and they do a good job.

This hotel is basic in it's amenities. The continental breakfast is as good as anywhere else. This hotel is a good value for the business traveler. Unfortunately on my next trip on May 10th I have to stay at a different hotel in Monterey. I called the BW Beach Resort in Monterey, but they weren't very accommodating. Plus they charge for parking, an "energy fee", and no continental breakfast for a $225 highway view room. I don't like getting soaked, so I will stay at the local Comfort Inn. That hotel has started go downhill the last couple of years, anyway. After that, I'm back at the BW Beach Dunes every three weeks for the rest of the year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank DJM129
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I didn't read the reviews of this hotel until I got home. Seems like the bad reviews are mostly a couple of years old. Our experience was very good. The room rate was well within our budget. The room was spotless and nicely decorated with a comfortable bed, leather chairs and a flat screened TV. The bathroom was very tiny, but functional. There was no refrigerator, which I've come to expect in a Best Western. Our room was opposite Highway 1, but the traffic noise was not a bother. The included breakfast was what I would have eaten at home. The choices were cold cereal, yogurt, toast, hard boiled eggs...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Best Western Beach Dunes is a great value. And the people there are all very attentive and helpful and soooo nice! Very close to the beautiful beach, and the cute town. The price is very reasonable, much less then staying in near-by Monterey. No traffic. It's a great place to base your stay in the Monterey Bay area. North, is Moss Landing. A harbor stuffed with boats. Several fruit and vegetable stands are near there, on Hwy 1. We brought home a bunch of pink grapefruit, oranges, artichokes and avocados for a fraction of the cost from any food store.

Room Tip: No pool, but they have a hot tub. Room 225 is upstairs and away from Hwy 1. Free breakfast, but no r...