The good: Great value (paid $107.10 (AAA rate) for the first two nights of our stay; went up to about $134.10 for our Friday stay (last night)), and the location worked well for us.
It's only a ten-minute or so drive to Monterey, and there are places to eat nearby as well (depending on what you're in the mood for). The first night we were there, we were tired from driving, so we went to Quizno's on Reservation Rd. We also saw a Jack In the Box and some other places. We tried going to a place called Round Table Pizza, but after standing there for a couple of minutes and not even being acknowledged, we bolted.
We got a king-size bed (the underside of the comforter was gross, so that went on the floor, but then, they usually are in hotels, right?), but I did request an extra blanket, to which our housekeeper provided. The towels were great...the best of the hotels we stayed at (we went to SF and Yosemite, and these were the plushest), and the shower head was pretty good. We aren't used to the soft water there, so it felt kinda of slimy when you showered, but that's personal preference I guess (hard water vs. soft water). Not the hotel's fault, of course.
The breakfast was pretty good. Choices of food included hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, cold cereal, waffles (Eggos), bagels, English muffins, cinnamon buns (they were good!), fruit and oatmeal (instant). We were offered a variety of juices, coffees, hot cocoa and teas as well as iced water.
One thing my husband really liked that no other hotel offered during our stay was complimentary coffee (day or night). One suggestion to Holiday Inn Express: Have a hot water carafe. Not everyone drinks coffee, and to have the choice of tea or cocoa would earn you more brownie points. Just a suggestion.
One complaint: I tried to call guest services and then the front desk (same thing?) on at least two occasions, and the phone just rang and rang and rang...as if no one was there or cared.
Overall, the hotel is conveniently located, a good value and was comfortable.
PS. We found a nice place to eat lunch/dinner called Joe's of Monterey. Excellent food, atmosphere and presentation. I had filet mignon and my husband had fish and chips, and it was excellent. So was the bread!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marina, CA!We are located on the Monterey Peninsula, just minutes from Downtown Monterey, Cannery Row and Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf. Santa Cruz, Seaside & Sand City are also nearby.Close to the natural beauty of the dunes and Marina State Beach Park, this hotel offers the guest great value and proximity to the areas world-class golf, dining, and attractions. We are a short drive to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Carmel-by-the-Sea, 17 Mile Drive, & Pacific Grove.Our beautiful hotel features complimentary Deluxe Express Start Continental Breakfast, free high-speed Internet access in all rooms, and free local phone calls. After a day of sightseeing, return to your comfortable room to relax or enjoy an invigorating work out in our fitness room or dip in our oversized hot tub. We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel very soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites - Marina
- Holiday Inn Express Marina
- Holiday Inn Marina