“Not likely to stay here again”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Marina
San Diego, California
“Not likely to stay here again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. When we checked in the woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Our room was pretty nice...comfy bed and good bedding. However, cleanliness was somewhat lacking...the carpet had numerous stains and the bathroom floor was so sticky that we put towels down on the floor to avoid walking on it. Another concern was hotel security. All of the outside doors were posted that they remained locked at all hours, but we came and went and never had to use our room key. Ironically, they changed the password for the wireless access on the second day of our stay (more security for using the internet than for entering the hotel?). So when I wanted to sign onto my laptop it would not work. I called the front desk for assistance and got no answer (9 PM). After calling repeatedly my husband finally walked down to the desk but there was nobody there. Finally he went looking and calling out and a man finally showed up from another room with no explanation for not being available. I'm glad I was not calling the front desk for an emergency. Overall, this hotel was adequate but if I returned to the area I would try a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dev P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
First and foremost I thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Marina.

I also would like to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. I personally apologize for your experience during your past stay.

I have spoken with our Front Desk Staff, Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers addressing your concerns and resolving all issues to the hotels satisfaction.

I would like to welcome you back and have the opportunity to accommodate you whenever your travels bring you back to the beautiful Monterey Peninsula area. If so please contact me directly to reserve your future reservations.

Kindly,
Staff of Holiday Inn Express Marina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I've had to stay in Marina, CA a few times for business. I've tried a few different places, always trying a different place because I was never really happy with the others. I can say that I finally found my regular spotwhen I have to travel here more often. The staff was very friendly upon arrival, the rooms were clean, and the area is close to a lot of shops/food.
As a bonus, the complimentary breakfast was great and had a lot more choice than I'd typically expect from a hotel's continental breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jorge V
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I cannot praise the staff here enough for their friendliness and willingness to assist. I called in early around 10am to ask if I could possibly check in around 12 noon as I had important contacts to make with the UK before it was too late (8 hours ahead). The lady on check in said as an IHG PC member I had been upgraded to a suite which was not ready, but to come back at noon and if it was not ready then she would make sure another room was available. I returned at noon to have a room ready for me and when I had an issue with the fridge not working well, I was immediately given a new fridge. The breakfast selection was good and the general area had many good restaurants and a short walk you can reach Marina Beach where I was treated to a display of around 20 hump back whales playing offshore. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Yorkie1948
Jackson, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were welcomed warmly with kindness and a smile from the employees. I surprised my husband with this trip for his birthday and we had a great time! Very close to the ocean and awesome people...what more could you want? We love your hotel! Special thanks to Britt, Anna and Holly for making our stay very enjoyable and memorable! P.S. For Anna, a kingsize KitKat with your name on it will be coming with us on our next trip :)

Room Tip: A room by the whirlpool makes a great addition to your stay!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KaceDawg
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent a few days in this hotel with my family while visiting the Monterey area.
Nothing special, Standard Holiday Inn.
No options for regular meals, except for breakfast, which is quite simple.
Nothing special but a broken elevator!!!
I do not recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Waehneldt
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Waehneldt,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly.

Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hayward, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We arrived late since we were not used to driving with out street lights. The property seemed well maintained. A couple more parking spaces would be helpful.
Was not greeted as an IHG rewards member.
Arrived to a dark room. Wanted to put a few drinks in the fridge, ours was removed. Called the fd to ask if we were ours was and she said only their suites had fridges. When u opened the cabinet door where the fridge should be, there was dust bunnys. After they removed the fridge they couldn't even clean under it!
Mattress is barely better than the ones you would find on a sofa sleeper. On the thin side where you could feel the springs.
The next day, housekeeping forgot to put back hand towels. I reported it to the fd and he told me if I wanted any I would have to go get them. After coming back from a long day at the first city music festival, running back to the lobby was the last thing on my mind.
Normally, I trust the holiday inn brand but I would look else where next time in the area. Customer service is not their top priority.

Room Tip: Spa n fitness room is on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Mel F,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding housekeeping, mattress and customer service. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We really liked this alternative location for visiting Monterey. Only a few minutes up the highway but more affordable. Quick to the highway, beach and convenience shopping (Walmart), yet seemed very quiet. The breakfast bar is average for this level of hotel. The desk staff is friendly. Our bill was incorrect, but fixed quickly. Drawback: no pool. Advantage: washer/dryer on site. This worked well for us in the middle of our 10 day CA trip.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ramada Marina
Ramada Marina
#4 of 9 in Marina
Monterey Beach Dunes Inn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina? Share your experiences!