Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina
$102
Hotels.com
$60
$66
All reviewsfront desk staffdowntown montereythe breakfast areaaffordable optionstreet noisecomplimentary breakfastshower headquiet locationlarge roomone night staycannery rowbrittwalmarthighwaymicrowavermmiles
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites on Friday 7/26/13 with my elderly parents after attending the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Originally we wanted to stay in Monterey, but the entire area was sold out. Luckily we found the HI Express in Marina with availability and it was right off the Hwy 1 about 10 minutes north of the Cannery Row area of Monterey. The location was very nice. Upon entering the hotel to check in, I was a bit put off by the really dirty tile floors in the lobby area. The lobby was dark and somewhat dated looking - it does NOT look like the pictures shown on the website. I think management needs to brighten and lighten it up. Time to redecorate and bring it out of the 80's. But Denise at the front desk was really nice and friendly and got us checked in to our rooms. She tried very hard to make sure our rooms were near each other on the same floor although the hotel was getting nearly sold out. For customer service, HI Express Marina gets five stars. The elevator was pretty small and needed some aesthetic attention. The mustard gold colored paint on the elevator doors was badly scuffed, scratched and dirty looking, it kinda reminded you of the freight or service elevators behind the scenes if you wander into the wrong areas of a large Marriott hotel or something. The tile floors all throughout the common areas were filthy and the inside of the elevator was musty and ugly. The elevator made a loud noise and thump when it would land on our third floor - yikes! I noticed a message taped to the front desk's keyboard that read in large letters: IN CASE OF ELEVATOR EMERGENCY, CALL (#). Evidently, elevator emergencies are common enough that this needs to be posted in plain sight of the desk personnel, and I think I know why. It's time to get a new elevator methinks.

Once we got into our rooms, they were clean enough I suppose. Very, very plain and the decor was not what you'd find in a Comfort Inn or La Quinta. The carpet was dirty because my feet bottoms would get dirty after I just recently showered - I started wearing slippers inside my room to keep my feet clean. Wallpaper around the windows was peeling and dirty. Wall mounted air conditioner (old fashioned kind) under the window was loud and rattle-y. Bathtub was aged, although clean, but you could see where they tried to cover up the stains and nicks with non-slip covering. Definitely needed replacing. Grout in the bathroom tile floor was very dirty and needed a good scrubbing/bleaching. Rest of bathroom was fairly clean except the underside of the toilet seat has some urine spots as if it had not been cleaned/disinfected there. I Lysol down everything, so I cleaned it myself. Towels were old, scratchy and thin. Not thick and plump like other hotels I've stayed at.

Hotel (actually, it should be classified as a motel) was just noisy, probably because it was near sold out. Doors slamming all night and morning (use your hotel manners, you door slammers!), kids screaming up and down the halls, maids talking at the top of their lungs out in the hallway at 8:00 a.m. - if you want to sleep in here, forget it. Luckily I was up at 7:00.

If you are looking for a budget-conscious motel that is a step up from a motor lodge, this may be it. If you are used to La Quinta Suites, Marriotts or Embassy Suites type hotels, you will be disappointed here. It gets the overflow when Monterey sells out, and I think they take that for granted. Seriously, the manager needs to examine the floors, common areas and overall condition and invest some funds in getting the place up to par. I wouldn't stay here again, rather make sure I book early enough to get in at the Embassy Suites Seaside or other higher end hotel in Monterey proper.

Room Tip: Customers who highly value cleanliness and aesthetics/decor will likely not be comfortable here. Location-wise it is good, though and the front desk employees are nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Teri E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Teri E,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. It is very nice to know that you liked the location of our property. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the entire property's condition. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is located about 9 miles from Cannery Row in Monterey. I chose this location because of it was much less money than staying right in downtown Monterey. The minute I walked into the lobby I was greeted by the smell of freshly baked cookies and I noticed ample sitting room, a free computer to use, daily newspapers stacked up and self serve coffee. Check in was fast and efficient and their was a bell cart that i could use for our luggage. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite that was plenty huge but did lack on providing enough towels. A quick phone call and that was an easy fix. I noticed the three floors all had ice makers and vending machines which was nice. Contrary to another review, the breakfast room was one of the largest I have seen at a HIE and it was stocked with a good variety of breakfast foods. The eggs and sausage could use some work but there was no shortage of breads, waffles, pancakes, muffins, fruit, hot and cold cereals, yogurt and low and non fat milks. Considering breakfast is free, it was great! There is a large square table in the middle of the room with outlets for computers/phone charging while sitting but NONE of them worked. This is something that bummed me out because I really need to charge my phone, but just a minor flaw. Going back, the beds were comfortable, the kitchen in the room was great, our room overlooked the parking lot and the only noise we heard were the Harley Davidson motorcycles taking off at 7am. Don't think anyone in the hotel slept through that and it's not the fault of the hotel. This was a fantastic hotel for the price. It was clean, modern and provided all the necessities one would expect from a HIE. I find it hard to believe anyone could give this hotel one star. I understand that things don't always go right but life isn't perfect. I plan on staying here again and commend the hotel on its customer service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank moneyplays
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend of fourth of July surprisingly very quiet area during busy season. Upon check in had to wait 15 min due to hotel only having one employee working at the time and her having several people before me, young lady name Nancy worked trew all guest with smiling face and welcoming presence regardless of commotion in hotel due to unhappy guest with her arrangements at hotel.Allthough yell at and insulted by previous guest for a outstanding period of time she handle the situation calm and collected with caring attitude for guest at all time, when it was time to help me and my family after several guest before me she help answer and recommend places to dine for me and the family as if nothing had happen with smiles and friendliness.  Although no firework show in the area we were given directions by Nancy to showing in Santa Cruz it was amazing for my family and I during are 3day weekend Nancy was are scout looking up anything I ask for . Hotel is very much renovated and nothing like the bad pictures online, was very please to stay in a hotel that felt brand new verses what I thought I was getting. Rooms were up to date with hd tv's and verious channel choices for me and my family internet was my only disappointment signal very poor. Hotel also had spa area although no pool spa was big and had great patio area. Breakfast was more then I could ask for had many choices hot and cold allthough needs to be attended more frequent. Overall hotel exceeded my expectation with great customer service provided at all times during my stay here and great clean property. Would like to extend my gratitude to Nancy for having such great attitude and to hotel cleaning staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank travelfamilyfun67
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our family stayed here for a weekend trip to aquarium and beaches. Location is ideal if you are looking to explore the Monterey Bay Area and less expensive than staying in Monterey itself. Rooms were clean with nice amenities including, mini fridge, microwave, and ironing board. There were a couple of spots in the bathroom that needed maintenance, but overall passed my wife's expectations. :)

Breakfast buffet was decent as they had hot breakfast items as well as an auto pancake machine. (Pro-tip: Make a pancake and sausage breakfast style sandwich. Yummy!)

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed two nights for appx. $199 per night. Not worth it. Try to get it when it is closer to $119 as I saw in the ad. Came back from activities to spend second night there, our coffee cups had not been cleaned up, bed made nicely, but short-sheeted. TV remote only worked within 2 feet of tv, although TV was a nice big lcd flat screen with Direct TV and plenty of channels (thus the frustration of not being able to channel surf from more than 2 feet away). Breakfast was pedestrian, they had a new (to me) pancake maker, that rolled out a pancake in a minute. No pool, which I didn't remember from the first time there a few years ago. Next to a beautiful nature preserve with a great walk around it.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the nature preserve
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear LazyV225,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with the cleaning staff prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J