“Enjoyed my time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed my time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Wheelchair user, pleased that room accommodated all my feeds throughout my stay. Have no problem saying if I come back to that part of the world again, I'll be happy to stay there. Staff very friendly, nice touch was being offered home made cookies in reception.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Marshalsw007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We put up the extra money for a junior suite, which was only $10 less than the already reserved deluxe suite, and oh boy was bad luck.

The room was about 5ft. longer than the traditional two bed hotel room. The bummer part is that it costs significantly more. Live and learn on that one.

Something I think that cannot be changed is the staff. The front desk is operated by owners son and wouldn't lift a finger if it meant going out of the way for the customer. Don't try to check in before 3 because they certainly won't help. Morning breakfast was quite a treat. All you really need is a freaking plate to collect your food, but they made it seem like you might try to take their first born.

So, bad staff and bad room equals bad experience. Pay the extra money and stay in the city you are going to be spending most of your time anyways... Monterey.

Room Tip: Get the least expensive room. The more expensive rooms are 100% the same as those half as much. Don...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Happiestbaby,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor service from our staff which was unacceptable. I understand the discomfort this caused you. We will look into this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Marina hotels

United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Although this hotel is a little dated in decor, it's a great hotel to be in.
The location just off the highway means to can travel easily from here to many attractions, but also stay close for the beach.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
The rooms are large and have all you would wantin them.
Breakfast is inclusive and for that is very good indeed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paddyred
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were actually on Fisherman's Wharf when we realized late in the evening we had not made a hotel reservation for the evening while on our two-week PCH journey. While this particular Holiday Inn Express was a little higher than our daily hotel budget, it was well worth the extra dollars. In a busy area such as this, we got the last room but it was very nice. The evening front staff person was exceptionally friendly, the hotel was very upper-scale for a Holiday Inn and our room was "roomy". The morning breakfast was excellent. Would stay here again when visiting the area!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LENNYPAL
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have stayed at many Holiday Inns and they are consistent. Quality is good. Front Desk was very helpful with maps and such. We stayed here rather than in Monterey due to price and the fact that our son and family were staying 2 blocks away at a condo on the beach. It was extremely convenient for us. No pool but they have a spa and sauna which we enjoyed.

The breakfasts are what you expect but I did have one quibble. We do not eat pork or beef and they served an "omelet" which had some sort of filling that I couldn't identify. Looked like it might have had ham but I could not tell. It was awful. No hard-boiled eggs either. I had hoped one day there would be cheese omelets but in 5 days, none appeared. Only one morning was there scrambled eggs that we could eat. We ate most of our breakfasts at our son's condo and the last day we went out to eat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DesertMagpie
Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel is to hotels what Applebee's is to food. Consistent middling quality, neither great nor bad It's the kind of place about which people say, "A good place to stay ... at this price point." You open the door to your room and suddenly ... your anywhere ... or nowhere. The room was clean, the TV had 5 billion channels, the bed was OK, not a plush-aaaahhh-type bed, but comfortable enough. The under-window air conditioner/heater was a bit loud and the window was frighteningly dirty with a Jackson Pollack array of bird poop on it. The breakfast featured some sort of warm, egg-like product, sometimes accompanied by some really greasy bacon and at others, some OK sausage. There were plenty of other cold (and better) breakfast choices to chose from although bananas were the only fruit offering I saw. The coffee was blech, fortunately there is a Starbucks nearby. There was a fair amount of noise that came in off the hallway and also from the bathroom plumbing on the floor below me. I would suggest keeping your bathroom door closed at night for that reason. I stayed here on business and the wireless was unusually fast and reliable for a hotel. The front desk personnel were extremely friendly and helpful. It's in a very safe area adjacent to a nice little park and plenty of shopping choices nearby. From my room I could see (through the bird poop) the dunes in the distance but not the ocean. Would I stay there again? Probably, it doesn't have much in the way of competition.

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel overlooks a small park and lake, with the dunes in the distance. Opt for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank avodoc
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

If you don't need to stay in the heart of Monterey, this is an excellent affordable option. The quality of my stay was within my expectations for HIE. Despite some issues, I felt like I got good value for my overnight stay with breakfast included.

Pros:

Close to Monterey without the high prices.

Far better than the HIE in Seaside.

Uncommonly good internet speed @ 2.5 mbps.

Adequate breakfast.

Decor is relatively up to date and the facility is in decent condition.

Excellent selection of Direct TV television stations on flat screen TV of modest size.

Very good compact refrigerator and microwave in room.

Cons:

There were ten large screw holes on the walls on both sides of my room. They had the plastic inserts in them to receive the screw. The walls were wallpapered so I could understand the difficulty of a patch, but tacky nevertheless.

The window was very dirty and provided little sound insulation from a rather busy street (Reservation Rd).

The desk is too high for use with a laptop and the desk chair was horrible.

The bed was little on the soft side.

The TV could not be viewed from the desk.

CFL lighting throughout the room was just adequate, not especially well lit.

No paper towels for the wet bar area.

Hair dryer was really cheap.

Summary: For me, the pros outweigh the cons for what I paid for the room. I would stay here again if I got a room that is not facing the street. My only encounter with staff was the desk clerk who was friendly and helpful. The person who maintained the breakfast area in the morning seemed to be doing a good job.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face Reservation Road for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank southwest_traveller9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay
3.5 of 5 stars 453 reviews
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Monterey Beach Dunes Inn
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina? Share your experiences!