See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 7, 2017

Filthy, dirty, bugs in the mini refrigerator, disgusting dried feces all over the entire toilet area. Bad attitude front desk supervisor and the worst part trash the hotel next door. The hotel next door Best Western was top notch, clean and amazing. I am a local and it makes me sad to see people trash talk our own locals. Please stay away.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
2  Thank donadamson
Reviewed May 28, 2017 via mobile

Don't recommend to no one no good price for lousy service carpets and rooms nasty these people don't make you feel welcome good area and don't know why this hotel is there should be close long time ago horrible customer service front desk people lie to you never listen they pretend but don't expect any room service

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank Emily H
Reviewed March 28, 2017

We stayed at this location a few years ago and sad to say that it has seen better times. An upgrade definitely is in order. However, the price is right and we love the location due to its close accesss to the State Beach Park. Be aware that the beach boardwalk is closed to the public due to conservation issues. You can still access the Park from across the street from the motel and the Park provides picnic tables and restrooms; you can run down the hill to get to the beach.

The room was of average size with a king size bed. Cleanliness and bedding quality were adequate for us. We had a fridge in the room; the lobby provided a microwave and coffe makings as well. The television seemd antiquated and we were a little disappointed with the number of stations provided.

A nice breakfast was included with the price of the lodging which included scrambled eggs, biscuits/gravy, breads, waffles, juices/coffee/tea.

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlamedaYankeegal
Reviewed February 12, 2017 via mobile

First impression was not bad, we could hear waves crashing in the background, reminiscent of my youth. I'm a north coast boy. Then noticed stains on bed spread. Iron left black specks on my shirt but I was able to brush them off, phew.

Upon waking I went to make coffee and found grounds in the basket and old coffee in the pot, that grossed me out.

Last inspection for personal belongings, as my wife and I always do, we looked under the bed. Wow!!!!! Bad move. My lovely delicate wife found a rotting orange (mold and all) and cheetos(insert dry heaves).

Monterey for $72 is good but be prepared for something to throw you a curveball, maybe even a slider.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Howard H
Patricia S, Guest Relations Manager at Monterey Beach Dunes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2017

Dear Howard H,

We sincerely apologize for the lack of cleanliness you experienced while a guest with us. Please be assured that we will address this issue with the staff in hopes to detour this from happening in the future. We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us and we are pleased to read that our location met your expectations.

Patricia, CSM

Reviewed February 2, 2017 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times over the last year, but not by choice.
My company uses the CLC program, which limits our choice of where we can stay.

Even though a refrigerator is listed on the CLC site, the front desk states that they do not advertise refrigerators, and only have a couple throughout the site, so DO NOT expect one. Nor can you expect a microwave. There is 1 located in the office that can be used, IF the office is open, and IF no one else is using it.
Beds are not comfortable.
Terrible sound insulation, with a highway adjacent to property.

OLD SCHOOL televisions, small screen CRT style.

Office is not 24hrs, so not sure how difficult it is when your room key is misplaced or stops working in the middle of the night.

There isn't even a pen or notepad in the rooms.

Window extremely dirty.
Heater/ac not plugged In.

Basically, it's somewhere you can stay, if you need a shower, or your car is too uncomfortable to sleep in

Stayed: February 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank James C

Dear James C,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We apologize that you have limited hotel choices due to the lodging program your company uses. We have limited rooms with refrigerators and one is available upon request. It is true that there are no microwaves in the rooms but there is one in the lobby for our guests to use. Although our desk is staffed 24 hours a day we do lock our lobby doors during the late night and early morning hours for our staff's safety but they are available at the night window. We apologize that the comfort of the guest room was not to your satisfaction and we only ask that you allow us another chance to provide you with a more satisfactory stay.

Patricia, CSR