1,060 results
All reviews ocean front golf cart deluxe room gas fireplace onsite restaurant wet bar complimentary bottle of wine two sinks sound of the waves private beach turn down service sand dunes the pacific ocean large bathroom adirondack chairs romantic getaway time share
Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

I have been here twice with my two kids and both times it has been quiet and relaxing. The smores and mini-bar are a little pricey so bring your own but if you forget like we did the first time, please spend the money. It's well worth the time and memories. I would highly recommend a room with a view if it's in your budget, if not just walk out to the beach where they have chairs and firepits going to see the sunset/sunrise. I like that you can go as a couple or with kids and it's always so quiet.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank andyprincess
Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this resort at the end of a two week long trip round Yellowstone. We went for pure relaxation and the setting looked perfect. On arrival it's a bit alarming to be so close to the freeway but this isn't too much of an issue once you get out towards the beach. The setting is lovely by the sea and you can frequently see whales and dolphins from shore. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

However, the staff are terrible! We are not difficult people or rude and during our stay there were so many occasions where the staff were so incompetent and unhelpful. Examples are:

We booked a sea view but on arrival we were not by the sea, but set back behind other buildings with a glimpse of the sea in places. It was also opposite the volley ball area where people play from 9am all day and a fire pit where people gather in the evening. It was not ideal because of the noise and proximity to numerous guests right opposite your baking. Also we expected an uninterrupted sea view! We requested an upgrade (which we were happy to pay for) and were advised that they were fully booked. Immediately on checking the website we found beach side rooms readily available which the staff said was incorrect. We spent 30mins guiding the receptionist how to reasonably fix this. Ie To book the new room, and charge us the extra over cost as we had already paid in full. This was not comprehended and they wanted to charge us twice! The manager become involved over the phone and all we could hear was "what have you promised this guy, don't give him any thing free." It seemed to be quite a simple request but it became very stressful. In the end the extra cost was marginal but it just seemed to be too much trouble for them to accommodate. The suite rooms are the ones to get if you can as they are bigger with a sitting area.

During the stay our room was only cleaned and turned down 50% of the time.

Every afternoon they serve complementary cheese and wine for the guests which is a lovely idea - if only we had been told!

We asked lots of information about the local area such as "how long does it take to cycle from the resort to marina via the beach front cycle path" to which we were advised "all day" and it's a 60 min cycle. The staff are not at all knowledgeable about the local area which is disappointing especially when you want to make the most of your stay.

The restaurant on site is new and very nice, however it was fully booked for most of the time. You would expect a hotel of this standard to perhaps reserve a table at least on the first evening just in case new arrivals want a convenient dinner. Otherwise you have to drive off site which goes against the ethos of a relaxing hotel! Once you do make it into the restaurant it's very nice.

The breakfasts are not overwhelming for the price but it's not a big issue. Nice idea to have it delivered.

Generally, the attitude of the reception staff was poor and it really tainted what should have been a lovely stay.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sarahidavies
Reviewed September 14, 2017

Lovely suite by the dunes right in front of the ocean. Slept with the ocean breeze and sounds. Most enjoyable. Lovely room design. The restaurant is ok. The pool was ok too. Kids enjoed going around in the golf carts. Rooms in front of the dunes and ocean and the smores make it worthwhile.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
Dianna S, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2017

Thank you so much for the kind review! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your spacious accommodations as well as the lovely ocean views and breeze! We sincerely hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

So we had a rough start. We used our American Express points to book. After booking my husband and I decided to drive to Yosemite first instead of staying in Marina and driving to Yosemite (very long drive) we called American Express they put me on hold and called the resort you agreed to let us check in the following day so we could spend the night in Yosemite. When we arrived to our resort the next day they said they did not know of the switch and essentially they had cancelled our reservation. After explaining everything and them going through everything we got it resolved and still got to stay in the suite we paid extra for. The resort is very cute and quaint and has a restaurant on site. There are employees with golf carts to drive you around to your room, spa, pool, dinner. Our room was 608 Suite, I enjoyed our room great views right next to the beach I saw whales every morning!! So we are from the south and accustomed to our air conditioning. This is something they do not have in the Monterey area hardly anywhere so that's right no air conditioning in the rooms, however they do provide you with a decent stand up fan and the windows open allowing the cool ocean breeze in. There were two showers in our room not a necessity but was nice. We had a little walk out patio with great views. We did run into another issue however the day before we were to check out. We were out and about seeing the sights when we got a call asking us if we needed assistance checking our bags out. I explained we didn't check out till the next day ( mind you when we checked in I made sure that they had us checking out the right day which the young lady at the desk assured me they did) so I panicked and the lady said she would call me back she was going to dig into it. So she calls me back to let me know that I can stay in my room till our original check out. Beside those issues everything else went smoothly. We got a couples massage while there which you need to book a day in advance as they do not stay on site they come to the resort when They have a client the resort does have a specialized spa area. They also offered wine and cheese happy hour before dinner which was all complimentary and was a very nice touch. They also have bonfires ever night on the beach ( well right at the beach line overlooking the ocean not right at the water) and there were also two bonfires located on the volleyball area right behind our room. This is also a dog friendly place which I loved as I have a dog baby of my own. It's a great quite location within only minutes drive to fisherman wharf, cannery row, Monterey, 17 mile drive and other sites. We actually did not mind staying away from the main area as it was quiet and I'm telling you the views of the whales I got in the morning were amazing. We enjoyed our stay here even with the issues we had ( the staff did their job and made everything right for us) we would stay here again

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joshua H

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write us your review. We are so delighted that you enjoyed an amazing stay with us (in spite of a few hiccups) and sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding! We pride ourselves on providing our guests with an exceptional experience and beautiful location away from every-day stresses. With that said, we would love the chance to welcome you back in the very near future (with your dog baby!) for a very relaxing, (hiccup & stress-free) getaway!

Reviewed September 13, 2017

We had a beautiful jr suite right on the dunes overlooking the ocean. Sitting on the balcony and listening to the waves was amazing. Nice unit. Walk right outside onto the dunes and beach. Only negative is the $5 bottled water and no option for breakfast dining other than a continental breakfast delivered to your room at a cost of $19 per person! Everyone is friendly and helpful. We got a sunny day on the beach. The new restaurant for dinner was excellent - service and food quality. Our server Charles was very good.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the lovely review! Our team members truly are our greatest asset, and we strive to ensure we consistently provide authentic and caring service for each and every guest. The gorgeous surroundings are also certainly a plus! We hope to see you again very soon!