“Excellent”

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 15, 2005

Spent two nights here in early March - can honestly say that it was one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in. We had upgraded to a Junior Suite and paid for a "Lazy days of May" package (even though it was March), it included wine, bubblebath and a "relaxing candle" on arrival and a hamper of cheese/biscuits and a beach blanket on the second day. The service was excellent, the the personal golf cart excellent fun! The only down was the fact that there was only one restaurant but Monterey was only a few minutes away by car.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Burbank, California
Reviewed March 6, 2005

Really beautiful. Definitly get the room facing the ocean or you'll be sorry. We loved it! A short walk to the beach. Even going in Feb when it was cold it was worth it. Clear and with the fireplace in the room very romantic.

Not close to anything walking distance that is. That is good and bad. Very quiet which was great. But you are limited in eating to their AJ SPURS which was GREAT. But if you are staying several nights you may have to drive to Monterey (only about 10 minutes not bad).

The golf carts to get to your room are a lot of fun!

Overall I would recommend this resort. One review speaks the truth not great service, you do have to take the cart to the front to get ice. But that would not stop me for recommending at all!

1 Thank Cathy0055
Franklin, TN
Reviewed March 3, 2005

I surprised my wife with a trip to Monterey for her upcoming 40th birthday. I came across Marina Dunes on Orbitz, and did some research on this site to find out what people thought about it. 99% of the reviews seemed positive, so I booked it. (In the back of my mind, I thought "what if it's not as nice, it's rat-infested and old, etc"). Let me assure you, the reviews are dead-on accurate.

We loved every second of our stay at MD! The scenery was spectacular, and the staff was very accommodating. We didn't get the chance to eat at AJ Spurs, but the food smelled great from the parking lot and it was packed for dinner every night. The rooms were extremely clean, and they provided turn-down service each night.

The only problem we had was that of ants getting into some pastries we bought for breakfast and left them on the counter of the mini-bar overnight. We thought the box was sealed, but they got into them anyway. Tons of tiny ants. This was basically our fault, but I thought I'd mention it anyway as a warning.

If you're looking for a nice, secluded, romatic get-away, you can't go wrong at Marina Dunes. It may be a few years before we get to do this again, but we'll definitely return some day.

(The attached picture doesn't do it justice. The photo was taken with a 5MP Sony camera, but I had to lower the resolution to post it to this site.)

3 Thank wstaple
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed February 21, 2005

My husband and I just spent a night over the President's weekend. Wow! This place is great. The golf carts are just part of the ambiance that is created by this resort. The rooms are gorgeous, beds unbelievably comfy. We had room service from the on-site restaurant. Great food! Also had the basket breakfast delivered the next morning. We enjoyed our "picnic" in bed. Came home and promptly booked another nite, this time the deluxe oceanview suite. We had a Dune suite which had a partial oceanview. Gorgeous even if you can't see the ocean. We are fortunate to live only 20 miles from the resort, but it made us feel as if we were much further away. Most romantic place ever!

3 Thank BabsSC
Bel Air, MD
Reviewed February 17, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Marina Dunes a few months ago while on vacation, and we plan on staying there again in a few weeks (need another vacation!). We had a "Dunes View Junior Suite", which actually had a slight view of the ocean anyway. The room was large and very attractive. The suite actually looked just like the usually-too-good-to-be-true website photo. The suite is definitely the way to go (for a few extra dollars) if you are really looking to unwind. To top it off there were two TVs in line-of-sight from the bed!

The room was clean, I had no complaints... and I'm generally one of those "annoying" people to the hotel staff when it comes to cleanliness. The front-desk staff was pleasant for the whole 3 minutes we spent checking in, and the guy who showed us to our rooms and gave us the orientation was very friendly and helpful.

The atmosphere was great, especially with being able to open the sliding door to the patio to let in the ocean breeze and sounds of the waves. The golf carts were actually a fun part of the stay, my wife got to drive one for the first time! One evening we took the short walk to the beach to enjoy the sunset. The dunes are truly breathtaking at sunset.

The only drawback was the fact (also mentioned in some other reviews) that the walls aren't the most sound-proof I've ever encountered. We didn't have "noisy neighbors", but we could hear them come and go relatively easily (not often though). It definitely didn't have a negative impact on our stay at all, but I suppose if we were stuck next to a bachelor party or something, it could be a bigger problem.

All in all, a great place in a beautiful location without all of the exhorbitant resort "mark-ups"...

2 Thank RavensFan
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 16, 2005

There is very little to dislike about the Marina Dunes resort. My boyfriend and I stayed there over Valentines day. It was very romantic. When we first arrived we were promptly greeted by a hotel worker, and got down to business. Since the bellhops were busy, the hotel person who checked me in also became my bellhop. He took me to the go-cart that was assigned to me...(you get your own go-cart to drive around, its awesome! and my boyfriend was delighted...like a little boy who had a new toy). Anyway, he showed me where to park my car, and then my boyfriend and I followed behind him in our own go-cart to the room. We stayed in room 701, a deluxed bedroom with ocean view. He was very polite and took up our luggage, showed us the amenties in the room and answered all my questions. I did tip him nicely, and he seemed forever grateful. The room itself was a delight. The bedding was soft. The turndown service was delightful. The lights were nice, they changed shades of softness. The gas controlled fireplace was a nice commodity as well. Overall the room was very clean, very new, pretty spacious, and downright pretty. For all those people out there who hate those ugly hotel rooms that do not match, you will love the Marina Dunes resort...it matched elegantly in soft tones of tan and white. Also the other commodities in the room-refridgerator, and cd player were very convenient. The night was restful, no disturbances. Most of all, the view of the ocean was exquisite: I could see the waves on the sand from my bed. The walk to the beach was a minute or less. I have stayed in around ten hotels...not alot...but enough to know that I love this one best.

I had two problems though, that I should note, for advice if nothing else. My boyfriend and I got locked out on the porch. The hotel personnel who showed us the room didnt show us how to use the bar that keeps the door closed...so we stupidly got locked out and had to disturb our neighbors by throwing something at their window! The whole thing worked out fine, but make sure you lift the bar off the sliding glass door... it was pretty embarassing.
Secondly, I left some bath stuff in the shower. I left a brand new face wash, that cost me around ten dollars. I called to have them ship it to me but they informed me that the housekeepers didnt find anything!!! So i had to buy a whole new face wash and shampoo and razor! oh well, c'est la vie. Dont leave anything behind, and you will most definately enjoy your stay at the marvelous Marina Dunes resort.
By the way, it is very close to Monterey and Selinas...Monterey is around 10 miles away and selinas is a twenty minute drive.
Enjoy!

2 Thank LibbeyD
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2005

Helpful & friendly staff; nice rooms/great location, and the golf carts are a kick. I would recommend asking for a room on a top floor to cut down on the noise (if you have noisey neighbors as we did) but that was the only drawback to our stay. We definitely plan to return. Be sure to shop for good rates -- I've found a significant fluctuation in room rates. We booked an ocean view Jr. Suite for less than the cost of a deluxe ocean view room. Enjoy!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
#15 of 55 in Monterey
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!