“Worth a visit”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stumbled upon this place online when looking for someplace unusual to stay while on business in Salinas. So glad I did. I'm not sure this would be the first place I'd come for a vacation . . . previous reviewers are right that it is not a resort-quality hotel and the time share properties add a tacky quality, but what a great break from a traditional business hotel. Amazing location and worth the additional $$ to be tucked away in so special a piece of the earth. I loved hearing the pounding surf, being surrounded by dunes, have a gas fireplace to heat the room and tooling around in the golf cart. The views are amazing . . . the beach feels like the end of the world -- no development, just sand and dunes and the Pacific and it is great to fun to walk at sunset. My room was well configured, attractive and comfortable. Again, not luxe but certainly pleasant. Breakfast arrives on time for $10 -- not great quality food but convenient. The rooms have coffee makers and small refrigerators. Turndown service was great in the evening. The wifi was good, bathroom decent with separate tub and shower area, nice bathrobe, nice finishes and fabrics and comfortable sitting area and balconies or patios looking out on the horizon. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I had one of the rooms they describe as just "peeking" at the ocean but it was lovely none...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you so very much for leaving us a review. I'm so happy you decided to take a diversion from your normal business travel plans and try us out. I know its a bold assumption, but I like to think that this place has something for everyone... and I mean it! I'm not the least bit surprised that somebody travelling for business has a fantastic time here and we'll be happy to show another great time whenever you make it out this way again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
San Diego
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We booked for 2 nights following our time in Yosemite. The drive from Yosemite was great as you approach given the green hills and farmland. The resort is very easy to find and is nicely located on rather secluded part of the beach. We have 2 boys 4 & 8, and both jumped right into playing on the beach upon arrival. Running down the dunes and watching the paraglider offered additional fun. Warning, this part of the beach is very windy this time of year so afternoons/evenings were pretty cloudy and cold (hoodies or winter coats).

Room 613 is oceanfront and offers some great views on the corner of the resort (no one to your right). The room was remodeled with a big bathroom, comfortable king bed (rollaways available for $10 a night), fridge, etc. The patio with views was a nice addition but the wind kept us from having the door open except when we woke up in the morning (when it was calm). They provide binoculars which was great....up close view of the dolphins jumping in the morning.

The rooms come with an electric golf cart for use around the property. We definitely used the golf cart but everything is pretty close together (except the car). I think the best part about this was having our two sons take a hand and steering/driving which became one of the highlights of the trip. The day we checked out my 8 year old asked if he could drive the cart. I took him out early and saw two other carts with parent and kid present doing the same thing. This was a lot of fun and the way the place is laid out, its perfect for entertainment purposes.

The resort does a bonfire every night down on a small dune overlooking the ocean. We went to it both nights and they had a great time making S'mores. They also enjoyed playing with a few other kids that were there too. It was really windy and really cold so S'mores were a bit messy with the wind and the fire was only keeping us partially warm. The lighted walkways looked great at night when we walked back to our room. Note that the resort sells S'mores kits for $20 (ouch). I was at the local grocery picking up a few things and they had long skewers ($1.49 for 10) and all the other items....we shared with everyone around the fire.

We used the hottub at night after the bonfire. Its huge (holds 20 or so). Felt great and the pool looked nice too (didn't use).

We went to the onsite restaurant the first day for happy hour (to eat and have a drink) since we were off schedule and wanted to go to the bonfire. They have great happy hour pricing. $2 apps and $3 beers. Kids ate and were full for the rest of the night. The outdoor patio was very windy and cold despite gas firepits so it was a bit uncomfortable (no indoor seating was available). Food was OK (average) in the bar area.

Overall, this was a great stay for our family. They loved the resort and enjoyed the trip into Monterey (aquarium). Buy your tickets at the hotel for the aquarium and you get 2 days (consecutive) for the price of 1. We only used the 1st day and gave away tickets to another family at the resort (they got in for free).

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront deluxe room....its worth it to have the view. Room 613 on the end is very nice an...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank sniknej
Wow... Its reading reviews like your's that remind me of just how magical this place is. Very well written and highly detailed, this review highlights some of my personal favorite aspects of the property. Its refreshing to know that the little touches we included can have such a big impact on a quick family getaway.

From the s'mores materials you found at the store to the Aquarium passes you handed off, it sounds like you really had a lot to do with improving other''s experience here as well. Thanks so much for taking the time out to share your feedback and insight into what a fantastic vacation the four of you had. Please come back soon and experience it all again!!
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband Dan and I stayed at The Sanctuary April 2nd through the 4th. Every staff member we encountered was very pleasant and helpful (including the bar and restaurant staff). We love the convenience of the onsite bar/restaurant, Kula; the food is unique and very good. We've stayed at The Sanctuary several times and have always had positive experiences. We will certainly return in the future as well as recommend The Sanctuary to our friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
You have my sincerest thanks for leaving your lovely review on our public TripAdvisor page. Your comments along with those who have left them before you, will help to inform our future guests of what magical secrets lie waiting at Sanctuary Beach Resort. Thanks again!
Aguanga, California
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My first time here, maybe not my last. We were right on the beach in a Deluxe unit and had a super view of the surf right from our patio. The location could not have been any better. The room was very nice and pretty much had everything we needed. Microwave, fridge, coffee maker, comfortable bed, almost great pillows (those coulda been a little fluffy-er), nice bathroom, cool heater/fireplace. I liked being near the surf as opposed to being on the bay--I love the sound of the surf. It was nice having a golf cart to putt around in, especially when it rained--very handy then! It only disappeared once (and a staff member immediately tracked it down). The pool was clean, big, and heated. The jumbo spa was really big, and really heated! I thought the pool/spa area was great--not resort quality, but way better than what is found at any hotels/motels. The kicker is the beach. It is clean, big, sandy and gorgeous! If that water ever warmed up, it would be swarmed in the summer. So, it was worth a little of a premium to me to stay so close to this great beach. The only real negative is the hefty tax bill you are gonna get stuck with, but I guess that comes with the super location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for leaving the awesome review. I sure hope its not your last time here! I'm glad you had a great time on the beach. I agree that if our ocean water were to ever leave the confines of the 50º mark and become a warmer 70º ish then we wouldn't be able to keep people away. Until the oceans warms up, we'll keep the hot tub going for you. See you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is a decent hotel with a great location on a beautiful beach. It is not a luxury resort, gorgeous website notwithstanding. And that's why we were disappointed, especially by the pool area, which reminded me of your average middle-American motel pool, surrounded by concrete and cheesy plastic chairs. I agree the jacuzzi is nice and big and very hot, but there's nothing to look at but the ugly pool. The Hawaiian-themed restaurant is okay -- just okay -- and the much-vaunted sunset bonfire is less glamourous than you'd think. (Skip the s'mores packet for $20 - you'll regret it). The rooms are, again, just okay, but more Courtyard Marriott than Four Seasons. The beach is the one thing that lives up to the promise of the website. It's truly gorgeous - and you can visit it without paying $250/night for the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for giving us a try and leaving your feedback. It is worth noting that our website designer did not enhance any of the photo's we provided him. We simply have a beautiful setting and that's what is presented.

It sounds like you enjoyed the setting but felt let down by some aspects of the property. I'm always open to constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement. Feel free to contact me using the information below if you'd like to discuss the stay further.

Derrick Pearson
Guest Relations Manager
Sanctuary Beach Resort
(831)883-9478 x122
guestrelations@thesanctuarybeachresort,com
Redding, California
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed here three separate times and have never been disappointed. We have stayed in the ocean view suites and the extra rate is worth it. The location right on the beach gives access to Monterey Bay and is just a few minutes to downtown Monterey. The on site restaurant is also very good.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank hdsauls
Thanks so much for leaving us an awesome review! We're so glad to have you as one of our returning guests. We will patiently wait for your return and keep the fireplace on for ya!
ontario canada
Reviewed April 5, 2014

It was clean and fresh and friendly. Showed exactly as advertised. We have no complaints at all.We all really liked it, the beach was refreshing, it is quiet and not crowded. The hot tub is clean and massive!

Room Tip: if you are only staying for a short time spend the extra on an ocean view. I liked the ones beside...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kitca
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thanks for leaving an awesome review! Come back and stay with us again as we'd love to show you another great time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Hotel Abrego
Hotel Abrego
#7 of 55 in Monterey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,235 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!