“Peaceful place to wake up to and go to sleep by.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Marina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tracy, California
“Peaceful place to wake up to and go to sleep by.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I had visited the timeshare on that same property as the Sanctuary two weeks earlier and decided we had such a wonderful time that we would come back for our anniversary. We stayed 2 nights. It was wonderfully peaceful and we love walking the beach for miles and all the near by places to visit. Great to wake up to that view of the ocean from or little patio morning and night. I had fun learning to drive the golf cart. We met a nice couple at the hot tub one night and really enjoyed their company. Place like Walmart, stores and banks were near by. We hung out in Carmel, Monterey and Santa Cruz loved it! We will return soon, its is now one of our spots to get away to. Wish we could book more than 2 nights.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank mommazoe
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
After reading your review, I wish you could have stayed more than two days too!!! Thanks so much for staying and leaving a very positive comment as I love getting feedback from my guests. Its wonderful that you found us and please know that anytime the timeshare is full, you can always come and stay with us! We'll see you again soon :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I were given a night away at the Sanctuary Beach Resort as a wedding gift. From the minute we walked in the lobby we were in heaven. It is quite and there is plenty to do on site. They had just lit the Bonfire which was right on the beach and was lovely. The room was comfortable with an amazingly huge sliding glass door that over looked the ocean. We were able to sit in our room and watch the sunset in the warmth of the fireplace. I am definitely going to be going back! One of the best parts is the golf carts that each room gets to use to get around the property. SO no matter who is coming to check in you can not hear the cars you only hear the ocean!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thanks so much for choosing our humble little resort for such a momentous occasion. We are completely honored that you would choose us out of your many options. It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time and we hope to see you again for your first anniversary! Always remember to contact the hotel directly or visit our website for the best possible rates and service.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary, and it was a wonderful stay. The room was nice, clean, and cozy. We had a gas fireplace which turned on when the temperature got to low. We had a room with an ocean view, and we could faintly hear the waves at night. The resort has a spa, and also golf carts for the guests to use. It is secluded so you feel you are miles away from everything else, but has great access.

Room Tip: Lower rooms have some noise from above.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for the kind review! A special thanks for the photos too as I can never get enough of guest-submitted shots. Come back soon and we'll be sure to keep the fireplace going for you.
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed for three nights last weekend. This is our second time staying at this resort. This is an amazing location and there was nothing absolutely wrong about the stay but I do agree with some of the other reviewers there is a need for some tightening up of key customer service matters. The night before we checked in I was chatting with reservations about the requested room. I was assured that we would be able to get that location. But when I checked in the next day the young lady at the front desk seemed to be more preoccupied with what was going on her computer screen and told me the room wasn't ready - she didn't offer that it would be until 30 minutes more until I asked. She offered me a room totally different than the location and seemed flustered when I would ask questions. We eventually got a room next to the location I had requested. But only after more dialog than was necessary - checking in should be seemless - this seemed harder than necessary. I say this so management can work on the skills of some of their staff. Candidly we had good response from some of the others working at the front desk. Such as when our cart had been taken back to our room when we were away for the day. They were very apologetic but really wasn't sure what was going on and got a bellman to help us to our room. They thought maybe a bellman thought we were checking out and took the cart back to the room. That is what happened. We were cold and tired from a long day so having to wait to be taken to our room was a little bit of a nuisance. Making sure everyone is clear about who is checking in, staying and checking out would have taken care of this. The bell crew were wonderful though! Really accommodating and friendly. Can't say enough about how good they were.

The Rooms are nice but are looking a little worn. The chairs in the deluxe room need replacement and the linens could use some refreshing with a highler quality level. If these rooms had a smaller price tag than this would be fine - but these are $300 to $350 a night or more by the time you pay for taxes and environmental fees. The views are wonderful and I believe everyone (for the most part) wants to do a good job - I think a little tightening up of customer service expectations and attention to details would go a long way. One last thing - the restaurant Kula which is on the property and run separately - is still not very good - was hopeful with a new chef but the food we had was poor - customer service was excellent though.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us. I have taken note of the things you mentioned that could use some work. I appreciate the feedback. Hope to see you again soon.
Oakley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

My girl friend chose this place and I must say she has great taste. We stayed two nights and couldn't have been more satisfied with our experience. Checking in was most pleasant with a very nice young lady who explained everything to get us settled. A bellman brought a golf cart to our car and took us directly to our room that was beautifully appointed and clean with a breath taking view of the beach and ocean. The fireplace was a nice romantic touch as well as a Bon fire on the beach in the evening. Of course being provided our own golf cart to get around in was a really nice touch. We had such a great stay we have already agreed to visit Sanctuary again. We highly recommend Sanctuary for a romantic get away.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thanks for the stellar review! I would have to agree that your girlfriend has great taste :-) Please don't wait too long before coming to see us again!
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel is undoubtably in a great location, and the accommodations are very nice. But it is unbelievably poorly managed. Here are some examples:
(1) Our booking stated it included "Welcome Gift Upon Arrival". We didn't receive anything when we first arrived, and assuming it might be in the room. We didn't notice anything, so I asked about it at reception the next day. Apparently the Welcome Gift was a verbal welcome to the area! I'm sorry, that should just be good hosting!
(2) You are allotted a golf buggy for the duration of your stay for your luggage, to get you to your car, etc. Unfortunately, they all use the same key, so if a guest has left theirs somewhere else, or wants one for any other reason, they just take someone else's! This makes it very inconvenient - I spent too much time (albeit no more than a hour over the three days) tracking down our buggy / taking other people's stuff out of it. I mentioned it when we checked out, and the response was, "Yes, that is a problem - it gets mentioned on an almost daily basis". Well do something about it then!
(3) Room service - there was supposed to be a visit with ice, etc every evening - it happened once out of the three evenings we were there.
(4) The beach fire in the evening is very pleasant. The Hotel has a number of chairs at the top of the Beach, but these get used by people wandering along the Beach. I assume it's a public beach and so they can do that, but at least put something on the seats discouraging other people not to use them.
For $350 per night, I expect better service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Paul A
Thanks for providing some feedback from your stay. I'm glad you agree the property is beautiful and I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been. You'll read from my review responses that I always encourage guests bring any and all issues to our attention. You brought up several things that are in our complete control (e.g. the "Welcome Gift") that we clearly let you down on; its a tangible gift that should have been in your room upon arrival. Alternatively, there are some things not in our immediate control but I still like to know how they are perceived by our guests (e.g. golf cart keys). Thanks again for your input.
Citrus Heights, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just got back from a one night stay at The Sanctuary with my wife and three year old. We had an AMAZING day & evening. Attention to detail was superb. WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK and for a longer stay, this is the type of place I could spend a week at, easily. Every time we needed something from the staff (which was not very often since they were so on top of everything) they did it quickly and with a smile. From the bell hop, to the lobby representative, to the kind lady who delivered our continental breakfast, everyone was very nice and extremely helpful. The entire resort just puts you in that cozy, relaxed, time-moving-slow mood. Can't wait to come back. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jdlyons
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Wow, thanks for the awesome review! We'll keep that time-moving-slow vibe going over here and you come back and see us when you need another fix!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,559 reviews
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!