“A less than average hotel with good views”

Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Marina
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“A less than average hotel with good views”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was a family fun weekend getaway so I reserved a Beachfront suite and requested for a crib for my little one who is 11months.The resort had a great location and drive was great as well. Our initial experience with the front desk was great.

1. Small Room : The disappointment started when we walked into our suite. It did not qualify for a suite but a junior studio. The sitting and sleeping areas were indistinguishable and almost felt crammed up.

2. Outdated Furniture and No Crib for Kids. Only Pack 'n' Play:
The furniture was also kind of outdated and I did not see the crib. When I requested for one, I got a pack 'n' play, seriously?? I paid $400 per night for a pack n play for my kid? I could have got mine if I was atleast told. I was very disappointed but took it. When I opened it I found a leg bent, net surrounding the bedding torn and big spots on the horrible pack 'n' play mattress. When told the front desk about it, I was told that pack 'n' play is all they offer for kids. That thing did not deserve my kid to sleep there and we overlooked it as we were there to have a good time.

Less than Average Indoors and not kid friendly:
- Next we started off unpacking our stuff and found that closet guides were off, Again had to call the desk and someone came and fixed it. Not only that they were rusted and was not safe for a toddler who likes to crab any and everything.
- Ok had a rough start maybe a better morning will just take it all off. I opened the door next morning to reveal a great view from my cramped so-called-suite and found that the the sliding door had dead insects in it. My kid who was a toddler went to grab that stuff in the rails so I had to keep it closed so could not enjoy the view from the room and had to get out.

4. Great View:
No doubt the room had a great view and we spent a memorable time on the beach too which we could walk to.

Other than the view I did not find anything that would prompt me to come back.

Room Tip: Good for couples and families with older kids. Not for toddlers. Money spent is only for the view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Varun V
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We always encourage guests to let us know which facets of their stay were less-than-extraordinary in order to improve our overall guest experience. I’m glad the view and service you received from the Front Desk was great and in terms of our shortcomings, I wanted to address some of those with you.

After reading your comments related to our Pack-N-Play equipment, we have taken a look at them to ensure the condition has not deteriorated and that they are safe. I’ve asked for housekeeping to replace any equipment not suitable for small ones. I’ve also identified the room you were in and asked housekeeping to pay close attention to the tracks for windows and sliding doors in that room. This is something they do on a weekly basis and those critters must have come in the interim.

After consulting with the General Manager about your stay, he informed me that he had made an adjustment to your bill based on the feedback he received from you before this review was posted. If you are ever dissatisfied with any aspect of your stay, let us know as we take these matters very seriously.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Fresno, California
Reviewed February 15, 2014

went to sanctuary beach resort for my anniversary. we had an ocean front suite. the rooms are really nice with a fireplace and great views. i just didn't understand how such a fantastic resort and room use such low grade sheets and pillows. the sheets are something you would see at a low price/quality hotel room. this place deserves better and the guest who use it should have quality sheets. it is not very comfortable sleeping in thin and rough bedding. sorry.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thanks for your honest feedback regarding our linens. We appreciate every bit of feedback so that we can try to provide the best service possible and exceed our guest's expectations. Hopefully we can have you back before too long..
San Martin, California
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I took a one night get away from our 3 kids. We had a junior suite ocean front. Room was great, beautifully done but the star was the view from our private deck. We are looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Come back with the family for another stay soon! We'll see you guys here at the resort before too long :-)
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I snuck away on a Sunday and headed down to Monterey. Our room was perfect with an amazing view of the ocean. It ended up pouring the night we were there but it was so wonderful to be able to open the door, hear the waves and the rain and sit in front of the fireplace.
The only thing I didn't really understand was the on site restaurant which didn't go with the theme of the resort. The staff was friendly and the drinks were good but the food was absolutely horrible. We will be back at the hotel for sure, but we will make other dinner plans.
Over all we had a great stay and can't wait for our next visit!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
So excited to hear that you enjoyed your quick Sunday getaway! Thanks for giving us a try and we look forward to when you find the time to come stay for a little longer. See you again soon!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend to relax and loved it! We were in suite 711 and I highly recommend you request that room as the views were amazing. So nice to be able to open up the doors out on to the patio and soak up the sun while watching the waves. The room was very comfortable and while the bathroom is right next to the bedroom you still get a great deal of privacy. This is a great location where you can feel away from it all yet are just a few minutes away from Carmel. A really wonderful property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Your awesome review was greatly appreciated! Feel free to come back to your favorite room anytime; we'll keep the fireplace on for ya!
Danville, California
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had read a couple reviews about noisy rooms so I requested a 2nd floor room. So glad we got the top floor because we could see the ocean and watch surfers from our room (too rainy to sit on the great deck). Well our neighbors ended up having a crying baby & toddler! No one's fault but we asked to change rooms. The staff couldn't have been any nicer and apologized for the inconvenience (not their fault).
We ended up in a duet beach bungalow with a partial view. Best night of sleep ever in a hotel. We walked right out to the beautiful beach. Had fun driving the golf carts too. Everything was very clean and nicely decorated. Truly a sanctuary.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank 490thd
So glad to hear you had a great time. Its always our goal to provide everybody with as peaceful and enjoyable stay as possible. I'm happy we were able to put some distance between and you and the baby! Looking forward to seeing you again very soon!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed here for one night on a road trip to California and regret I couldn't stay longer. The hotel is a sanctuary. I had room 604 right on the beach. I greatly appreciated that my dog was welcome. The room was sensational with a fireplace, good seating, marvellous bathroom and a patio with Adirondack chairs on a beachfront patio. There are no cars on the grounds and you are given a golf cart to go to and from your room, although it is a short enough distance that I just walked. The onsite restaurant was good and even welcomed my dog on their patio. Part of the property is given over to time-share units and the dog is decidedly not welcome there. Overall a beautiful place to stay and wander the gorgeous beach.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thanks for leaving us the raving review you did. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view and amenities provided from room 604. It's always a pleasure knowing that somebody as well traveled as you are (I poked around your profile page :-) is impressed by what we have here. We hope to you again on your next visit to the California coast!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
#15 of 55 in Monterey
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!