“Solitude is difficult to rate.”

Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Marina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“Solitude is difficult to rate.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel could be rated 3 -5 stars easily based on your outlook. I gave them 5 because for the right guest this is a perfect spot.

So the beach is an very easy walk, we stayed on labor day weekend and it was very peaceful, my daughters would play with other kids who showed up on the beach with us be the only families for 200-400 feet, it was easy to watch them play. The sand was partially covered with seaweed and sloughed crab exoskeletons, which added to the mystique for me. Their was no bugs to speak of. We would start fully dressed , but would warm up in the sun and undress to swim suits shortly.

They prepared a bonfire each night, which would be hard to share because of size but we did not need to share it which was nice. the view from the Bon fire was great.

They provide golf carts for you to drive around which is fun, we never found a place that was very far to take them, but I think it helps people avoid a steep hill on arrival.

The rooms decent, not luxurious, the toilet rocks when sitting on it the sink hardware is loose, the safe is confusing. The fireplace was great. The hid abed sofa was great for what you expect, the bed was nice but nothing to rave about.

The lobby is nice but a 4 star hotel nice.

The pool is nice, quiet, warm temperature, hot tub is nice and has a kiddy pool.

You should definately stay here if you want comfortable access to a quiet beach.... If you want an luxurious room or pool prepare to be disappointed.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingwithTwins4
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Your review brought attention to some of my personal favorite aspects of the hotel. I still cant get enough of the sunset bonfires even after having seen hundreds of them. With a beach as blissfully empty and relaxing as ours, its hard not to enjoy yourself with a warm cozy fire to nestle up next to. Given our location I like to think of our property as a rustic retreat offering a mix of beach side opulence and California charm. Cant wait to have you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just spent the last few days with my family at the Sanctuary Beach Resort. This was our second year in a row... What a great find! It is only a 10 minute drive from Cannery Row, yet feels as if it is in a world of it's own, far away from the hustle bustle and tourism of Monterey. The hotel consists of many condo style buildings and stretches out across the dunes, overlooking the ocean. The beach, in front of it, seems never to be crowded! It is calm and serene, and there is miles of it.... An unbelievably beautiful location, just steps from most any of the condos. My wife and son and I played on the beach, watched beautiful sunsets, played in the pool, and toasted marshmallows over the bonfire, which is built by the staff, each evening, on the dune (smore kits available in the lounge area for a nominal fee...).

I call them condos, but they are actually stand alone units, which have 3 or 4 separate dwellings in them. We had a Suite. It was plenty of room for us. The furniture was nice and the room was clean, modern, and very well maintained. Even the sofabad was of high quality! Expecting a poor nights sleep, I was quite surprised as it was the most comfortable sofabed I'd ever slept on! I was so surprised, I wanted to find the maker and when looking at the cushion, it said "made especially for Sanctuary Beach Resort...

As the rooms are very spread out, each guests is given a golf cart to drive for their entire stay. Very convenient and extra fun for kids. I found the staff to be very friendly and remarked more than once to myself, how well run it must be to feel so clean and new, given it's proximity to so much sand and salt air...

Can't say enough about how much we liked this place. We tried the restaurant the year prior. We didn't love it, but from what I hear, they are not actually owned/run by the same folks as the beach resort... There are many choices, though, within a short drive..

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wow! Thanks for leaving us such a great review! I loved reading about your reaction to our custom made sofabeds. We listened to a lot of our guests comments on TA and Facebook and realized we had to make a change. In comes the custom-made tempurpedic-topped sofabeds which have become a major hit with our guests. I'm glad you guys had a great time with us and we want to see you back here for yet another stay!
Brisbane
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a well-kept and well-located property, right on the beach and not far from Monterey. We had a great unit that opened right onto the beach, but beware, not all units of course are as well located. Golf buggies are provided for access around the resort, which is a great attraction if you have kids, and a bit of fun even if you dont. The room was really nice, the bed comfortable, and the staff seemed to really care. The fireplace was a nice touch and really good when the fog rolled in. About the only thing that wasnt perfect was the restaurant, which was a bit average food-wise and the service was a bit brusque.

Room Tip: ask for ocean front
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thanks for leaving us a great review of your stay. Of course all of our rooms offer some type of ocean view and the view will vary based upon which room type you book. Guest can choose from Partial View, Ocean View or Ocean Front rooms depending on availability.

When you're ready to come back and see us again, please call us directly for the best possible rates. See you again soon!
long beach, ca
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

This was a great property and sits on sand dunes that are preserved. The room was perfect, great ocean view and roomy enough for 4 of us. Loved the golf cart to get around property. It is close enough to Monterey to see all the sites and come back for calm and peace. Loved hearing the roar of the ocean at night.
Only draw back is the restaurant - the food was awful, service just ok.. Don't bother wasting your money there, go in to town .

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for leaving us a great review. I’m glad you considered the resort to be “perfect” with the exception of the restaurant. I’ll be passing your comments along to their ownership/management staff. Can’t wait to see you again!
Encinitas, California
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We rented the Suite and Deluxe with Partial Ocean view for a family trip. Beautiful interiors, comfortable beds with nice pillows. Nice presentation and very clean. Balconies out front for watching the view. Very nice.

My complaints:
You can hear the upstairs guests clomping around
No conditioner
The spa is not worth the money, at all. We all did two days of service and it really was disappointing. Do not spend the money.

We ate out every meal and did not try the restaurant

Bring some warm clothes, it gets windy but it is so quiet and well done.

1 Thank AnniandDave
Thanks for staying and leaving us your review. I like that there were positive aspects to your stay and I always appreciate when a guest leaves us helpful tips for the future. I’ll take them into consideration. Thanks again.
New Jersey
Reviewed August 21, 2013

There were many positives to our stay- the room was ocean front, but you can't walk down directly to the beach because many areas are fenced off, so we had to walk a bit out of the way to get to the one path that leads to the beach. We could not SEE the ocean due to the dunes, which was a dissapointment as I thought we were paying for OCEAN FRONT, yet we couldn't see the waves crashing on beach, which is what I hoped 360 a night would get us. Because of the high room rate, I had higher expectations for my stay. When we stay at a room for 125 a night, I am less picky about the total experience. For 1 thing, I really disliked sharing the resort with the timeshare folks, who clearly behaved like 100 a night people. There were quite noisy at the pool.Another thing: the first night we went to dinner and when we came back, the door to the unit and our room were both open! We had our valuables locked up, but it was still disturbing. We phoned the front desk, and were told "they would look into it" but again, at these prices, we did not expect this to happen! While it was a special time celebrating my birthday with my husband, 23 year old son and his girlfriend who flew in from Ohio, overall I was dissapointed.The toiletries were not replaced on the second day when I had used up the shampoo! The tub looked terrible from all the missing grout-how could someone not have repaired this?I will be posting some photos. Please if the manager is going to respond, the only thing that would make me happy is a PARTIAL REFUND! No appoligies! I won't be coming back, and we flew in from NJ!!

Room Tip: I would take a second floor room to be able to SEE the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fauxmaven
As always, I appreciate you weighing in on your experience here at the resort. I won’t waste your time with apologies but there were several things about your review that stuck out to me and I’d be happy to go ahead and address them with you personally. Please contact me at the e-mail address or phone number below.

Derrick Pearson
Guest Relations Manager
guestrelations@thesanctuarybeachresort.com
(877)944-3863
San Ramon, California
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Wow...where has this place been hiding?! Absolutely beautiful setting on the beach and the rooms are clean and modern with nice amenities. Golf cart is provided to get you back and forth from room to parking lot near lobby area where your car will be parked. (Lobby area was the only disappointment for this place). This property shares space with Wyndham Resort timeshares so only those guests have parking near their units. Onsite restaurant is good for lunch and dinner (fantastic sushi and good steaks too). You can have continental breakfast delivered to your room for just $10 per person or you will have to drive into town to eat. Monterey is just a 10-minute drive from this area. Bonfire on the beach each night provided by hotel. The setting just makes you feel like you're far, far away from the hustle and bustle of normal routine. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We've been right here, where have YOU been?! I'm glad you wrote in about your stay, it sounds like you had a lovely time!! True to what you said, this place gives you a feeling of being away from it all while in reality being only 10 minutes drive to downtown! Come back and see us again very soon as we'd love to show you another great time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Monterey Bay Inn
Monterey Bay Inn
#5 of 56 in Monterey
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!