“Great accomodations but here are some tips” 4 of 5 stars

Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Marina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Encinitas, California
“Great accomodations but here are some tips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We rented the Suite and Deluxe with Partial Ocean view for a family trip. Beautiful interiors, comfortable beds with nice pillows. Nice presentation and very clean. Balconies out front for watching the view. Very nice.

My complaints:
You can hear the upstairs guests clomping around
No conditioner
The spa is not worth the money, at all. We all did two days of service and it really was disappointing. Do not spend the money.

We ate out every meal and did not try the restaurant

Bring some warm clothes, it gets windy but it is so quiet and well done.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnniandDave
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thanks for staying and leaving us your review. I like that there were positive aspects to your stay and I always appreciate when a guest leaves us helpful tips for the future. I’ll take them into consideration. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

There were many positives to our stay- the room was ocean front, but you can't walk down directly to the beach because many areas are fenced off, so we had to walk a bit out of the way to get to the one path that leads to the beach. We could not SEE the ocean due to the dunes, which was a dissapointment as I thought we were paying for OCEAN FRONT, yet we couldn't see the waves crashing on beach, which is what I hoped 360 a night would get us. Because of the high room rate, I had higher expectations for my stay. When we stay at a room for 125 a night, I am less picky about the total experience. For 1 thing, I really disliked sharing the resort with the timeshare folks, who clearly behaved like 100 a night people. There were quite noisy at the pool.Another thing: the first night we went to dinner and when we came back, the door to the unit and our room were both open! We had our valuables locked up, but it was still disturbing. We phoned the front desk, and were told "they would look into it" but again, at these prices, we did not expect this to happen! While it was a special time celebrating my birthday with my husband, 23 year old son and his girlfriend who flew in from Ohio, overall I was dissapointed.The toiletries were not replaced on the second day when I had used up the shampoo! The tub looked terrible from all the missing grout-how could someone not have repaired this?I will be posting some photos. Please if the manager is going to respond, the only thing that would make me happy is a PARTIAL REFUND! No appoligies! I won't be coming back, and we flew in from NJ!!

Room Tip: I would take a second floor room to be able to SEE the ocean.
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Annelyse C
As always, I appreciate you weighing in on your experience here at the resort. I won’t waste your time with apologies but there were several things about your review that stuck out to me and I’d be happy to go ahead and address them with you personally. Please contact me at the e-mail address or phone number below.

Derrick Pearson
Guest Relations Manager
guestrelations@thesanctuarybeachresort.com
(877)944-3863
San Ramon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Wow...where has this place been hiding?! Absolutely beautiful setting on the beach and the rooms are clean and modern with nice amenities. Golf cart is provided to get you back and forth from room to parking lot near lobby area where your car will be parked. (Lobby area was the only disappointment for this place). This property shares space with Wyndham Resort timeshares so only those guests have parking near their units. Onsite restaurant is good for lunch and dinner (fantastic sushi and good steaks too). You can have continental breakfast delivered to your room for just $10 per person or you will have to drive into town to eat. Monterey is just a 10-minute drive from this area. Bonfire on the beach each night provided by hotel. The setting just makes you feel like you're far, far away from the hustle and bustle of normal routine. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
We've been right here, where have YOU been?! I'm glad you wrote in about your stay, it sounds like you had a lovely time!! True to what you said, this place gives you a feeling of being away from it all while in reality being only 10 minutes drive to downtown! Come back and see us again very soon as we'd love to show you another great time!
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We wanted to extend a visit to San Francisco by going down to Monterey. We picked this place because it was a) on the beach, and b) 10 minutes by car from Monterey, which is crowded with tourists in the summertime. We were not disappointed. It's well-laid out, and our junior suite (at $309) was roomy, comfortable and well-appointed, looking directly on to the beach. The continental breakfast delivered to the door is a bargain at $10 (fresh juice, toasted bagel, yogurt and granola, fresh fruit, a generous coffee pot). We avoided the restaurant on the premises given the mediocre reviews here. Our only gripe was that during our three day stay the skies were overcast and the beach too cold (in August!) to go swimming. Not their fault. It's convenient to Monterey but has the appeal of a far-away beach resort.

• 5 of 5 stars
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hey thanks for leaving such an awesome review about the resort! I'm so glad you chose to stay with us while visiting the west coast!! For a stay with nothing but sunshine, consider visiting us mid September through early November. Thanks again!
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Extremely disappointed by their totally nonchalant, ambivalent, couldn't-care-less attitude. They will remain empty as a clear result of poor customer service and lack of customer satisfaction. Would never recommend this resort location for any special event or private function.

The resort is well-located which led us to consider it as a potentially beautiful wedding setting. However, our experience with resort management was completely inexcusable. Having emailed several times requesting information about their wedding packages and to view the resort, the Guest Relations Manager finally responded with merely a basic PDF of their wedding services, without any mention of viewing dates.

Subsequent emails inform us when resort management can meet us to discuss scheduling our Big Day, yet after traveling almost 2 hours and arriving at the agreed-upon date/time, our contact then merrily informs us that he is not the correct person to handle or discuss wedding arrangements after all! The appropriate persons are not available that day "as they don't work weekends"...Really!! We just drove two hours to discuss planning this special event and we discover the responsible party was then "unavailable". It would have been nice to have been informed of this when scheduling our meeting! When we mentioned we intended a small, intimate group rather than a huge, lavish wedding event, our contact informed us the General Manager would not be interested in hosting any wedding unless at least 25 rooms were reserved for wedding guests (kind of tough, when all are local...).

Seriously, the place does not look like it is booming with business at all. It appears they were not interested in our guaranteed business. We advised there was nothing for them to do, outside of us just renting the patio terrace off the "restaurant" for a few hours. The Guest Relations manager said he would discuss with his GM and call us back in 2 days. Once again he failed to call back as promised. We eventually chased them up again a week later, only to have to remind them again of our request and interest. We were completely frustrated by their inflexible, unaccommodating attitude and lack of interest. We also left vmails for the Restaurant Manager to inquire about renting out the patio, yet we failed to receive any response (surprise, surprise...). We are totally disgusted with the place and their lack of customer focus.

On the other hand, the Monterey Spa & Plaza Hotel was fully cooperative in discussing our wedding plans and group special event arrangements. They are more than pleased to accommodate us and serve our needs for the Big Day. It just shows service counts and is the key to business, profits and success...!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sarah999999999
Davis, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived to check in on a weekday around 4:45 p.m. and were unable to due to the fact that the room was not ready. We waited patiently and around 5:30 p.m. the Guest Relations manager approached my family and offered his sincere apologies. He was a very kind gentleman and I wish I could remember his name as he went above and beyond in taking care of the problem. The Kula Ranch steakhouse was very good but all paled in comparison to the room and the view that we had from it. My two sons could not have had a better setting to experience their first sunset over the horizon of the Pacific Ocean which they were also viewing for the very first time. The sound of the waves crashing on the beach was a perfect way to fall asleep that night as well. We loved this resort and will return someday, I have no doubt. Thank you to each and every member of the staff at the resort that helped make our stay so memorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I’m glad I could help turn an adverse situation into a great one for you and your family! When I saw you waiting so patiently on the couch far beyond our check-in time, I wanted to ensure you guys were taken care of. I’m glad the boys enjoyed their first Pacific Ocean sunset and when you guys are ready to come back and experience it all again, call us and we’ll get you set up!
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I came here to celebrate our Anniversary. We have a beach front villa. It was perfect sleeping to the sounds of waves crashing on the beach and felt like we were alone in the world. We met families with children and people with dogs, all staying on the property, but the villas are far enough from each other that you still feel secluded.

At 8:00pm every night the staff lights a bon fire on the beach and guests gather around, roast marshmallows, make stores and tell stories.

The golf cart that you are assigned at check in gets you around the property. This is to help save the environment and wear and tear on the land surrounding your villas.

I would recommend this place to anyone! Young, old, families, if you are traveling with a pet, or small children. My husband and I agreed this would be a cool place to have a small wedding ceremony with everyone staying at the resort.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a beach side room. You will truly feel secluded and sleeping to the soun...
1 Thank Kitlins
Sounds like it went perfect for you! Thanks for leaving us such an awesome review. I’m glad you enjoyed every bit of your experience with us. Keep on recommending the resort to friends and family and perhaps consider us for your next anniversary!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
La Playa Carmel
La Playa Carmel
#6 of 25 in Carmel
4.5 of 5 stars 699 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!