1,057 results
All reviewsocean frontgolf cartdeluxe roomgas fireplaceonsite restaurantwet barcomplimentary bottle of winetwo sinkssound of the wavesprivate beachturn down servicesand dunesthe pacific oceanlarge bathroomadirondack chairsromantic getawaypool and jacuzzi
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We arrived in the evening to find it was cold and blowing a gale. Which was then reinforced by the bellman saying "the wind REALLY gets up in the evenings" as he loaded our bags into the golf cart to take us to our room. The little cart was being battered and it was impossible to see anything driving through the resort to find our ocean view deluxe room.

Then the doubts faded away as we were shown in to find a warm fireplace, huge bed and patio doors opening to a deck on the dunes. The room was not quite as large as I was expecting, but had a more cosy feel and was very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a great shower, white robes and nice toiletries.

In the morning the wind had died down a little and it was wonderful to open the windows to see, hear and smell the sea. Then to walk through the dunes and be on the 3 mile long sandy Marina state beach.

One morning we ordered the room service breakfast which came beautifully presented in a picnic basket and seemed good value for $10 per person. Other days we drove 5 minutes to Tico's in town for the best pancakes and eggs benedict.

I wish we could have stayed for longer to try the pool and spa facilities, and in better weather to enjoy the sunsets and bonfire on the beach. But still it was worth it and I'd love to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kmsc_1
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thanks so much for leaving a great review; we appreciate your wonderful comments. I always love it when we can please our guests who traveled from the next county over but its especially refreshing to see that we impress our guests who like you; have traveled thousands of miles to come stay with us. I’m very glad that you did not let the wind stop you from enjoying your time with us.

We invite you to stay again whenever you make it back to the area and please be sure to let your friends and family back home in Switzerland know about the great time you had with us. I wish you safe travels and look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

What a great way to spend a birthday weekend! Good food, good view, good company, & a great hotel! This was our first time staying at the resort. The area was very peaceful with a phenomenal view of the beach. It was a little pricey but worth it. The room was smaller than we expected but we didn't care because we had everything we needed; a beautiful fireplace, comfortable bed, 2 flat screen TVs, Keurig coffee maker, and an amazing bathroom- on one side a shower, on the other side a separate tub & shower.

The front desk staff were very friendly & personable. We definitely enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view is definitely worth the money.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Happy Birthday! I’m honored that we could be ideal spot for your celebratory stay. I am also happy that you enjoyed the various amenities provided in the room and amongst the property. You know... you don’t have to wait until your next birthday to come by and visit again!

I’ve passed on your wonderful comments to the resort staff and they are appreciative as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon at the resort.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have now stayed twice at this hotel. It was the Dunes Resort the first time, and I guess has changed management or just the name since my first stay, but I still enjoyed this time as much. It's a great location, right on the ocean, surrounded by the sands dunes (protected areas I believe). It's so refreshing to go to bed hearing the ocean and smelling the salty air. The rooms were pleasant, and big enough for two, and both I've stayed in came with fireplaces. They were well kept and spotless. Keep in mind, this is not the Ritz or penthouse suites, but a great getaway hotel on the beach. Adjust accordingly. Personally, I enjoy being on the beach more than sitting in my room all day and night anyway. The pool and hot tub were well cared for and clean, and nice to hop in on the cool nights. I didn't have a ton of interaction with the staff, but what I did have was pleasant. This is one of my favorite getaways, and you're practically in Monterey, with a short drive to Carmel, Pebble Beach, and Big Sur. There aren't many places I'd rather be anywhere than this part of CA, and this is a great hotel to stay while there.

Room Tip: Ocean view all the way! All are within a very short walking distance to the beach though. I think they have golf carts to travel around the complex too. I walked though.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for writing & posting your review. I appreciate very much your continued business as I read this was your second time here. You referenced some great qualities of our humble little resort and I was so glad to see that you enjoyed them. I like your point about the Ritz too… we certainly are realists here and we realize that we are not the Ritz Carlton, however we make every effort to conduct ourselves and provide services much akin to high-priced, high-quality hotels and resorts around the world.

I’m looking forward to having you again so that you can experience those parts of the resort you missed out on this time around. We will hopefully see you very soon!

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I dont know why we haven't given up on Sanctuary by now.
We used to love this place. We stayed here again trying to finalize wedding plans. The staff were Completely unhelpful unless we wanted to have a reception at their hokey restaurant. The place isn't being well maintained especially for the price.
We decided that we still wanted to stay here for our wedding because of it's sentimental value for us. We called to book and the woman on the phone quoted us MORE than the web pricing. She was rude and unpleasant. She didn't sound like she wanted our business. When my husband asked nicely if he could talk to the manager, she told us that he was unavailable and she didn't know when he would be available. Normally they discount for return customers. You would think that they would be a little friendlier to people who are getting married! Sheesh.

• Stayed: July 2011
6  Thank Gabrielle M
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

I want to address the issues you raised in your review but before I do, I want to point out that your comments are based on a phone call to the resort and not on an actual stay itself. Furthermore, you did stay with us back in April 2011, but I would hardly think that a stay 16 months ago warrants another bad review in present day.

We take pride in our resort based both on the part we are responsible for (the rooms, décor, service aspect, etc.) and the parts we are not responsible for (the ocean, the dunes, the soothing beachfront environment). That being said, we know that weddings are a special treat here and we view each on a specialized individual basis. We have a resort coordinator who gives an abundance of attention and know-how to each couple's needs and this attention to detail is not something we take lightly. That being said, we also have requirements and standards that go along with this service. For instance, we require potential wedding clients to agree to a contract that entails use of the site as well as a number of guest rooms. These contracts may or may not entail the use of the Kula Ranch restaurant but this can be negotiated with our sales staff.

Of course there is no excuse for dismissive behavior at the front desk so I do want to take a moment and apologize if you felt that your requests were not handled in an appropriate way. If you are still interested, please let me know and I will gladly put you in contact with the appropriate staff members.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel, the fact that I am posting this review now shows how dreadful this place is.

They are not suites - just large rooms, packed full of furniture. During our stay they brought an EXTRA chair, as they did not think there was enough furniture already!`

The walls are very thin. If an adjacent room is occupied you will hear every word.
`
If you are unlucky enough to get a ground floor room you will hear even more:
Your neighbours climbing the stairs,
Your neighbours walking around
Every time the toilet flushes it's like its in your room as the pipes run near your bed
Every time water is used upstairs you will hear it.

Cleanliness is poor:
When we arrived the floor was dirty.
The coffee maker was so dirty it was unusable - so they sent a broken one
The veranda is dirty

Bed is very springy - so if your partner moves it will disturb you.

Doors are a particular problem.
One wardrobe door is hanging off
The doors to the veranda barely open - it's very noisy when they do open.

"Do not disturb" is ignored by staff, they just keep knocking and calling out. Great when you have a baby sleeping.

The heating is by GAS fire, which is very unsafe for small children as the whole surround gets exceptionally hot.

Staff are not very clever, often found lounging around almost horizontal in the lobby area.

It is right on the beach - the state beach - which is busy even on a cold day.

What a waste of money and valuable vacation time.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an upstairs room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank travellinglizzie

One glance at your review and it would appear as though there is nothing good about this property. We both know that is far from the truth and yet your review only seems to point out (in an egregious fashion) the negative aspects of our resort. You are long gone now but its important to know for the other guests reading this, that you are encouraged to call the front desk and ask for a a manager anytime you feel like your stay is not living up to your standards. I am always on hand to assist you and would love the opportunity to do so while you are still on property and I have the means to do so.

Derrick Pearson