1,057 results
All reviewsocean frontgolf cartdeluxe roomgas fireplaceonsite restaurantwet barcomplimentary bottle of winetwo sinkssound of the wavesprivate beachturn down servicesand dunesthe pacific oceanlarge bathroomadirondack chairsromantic getawaytime share
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We recently stayed 2 nights here as part of an anniversary trip to California. I had read the reviews on tripadvisor before booking and feel like they are pretty accurate. This is a great place to go if you would like a quiet relaxing place. It is right next to the beach and has a balcony that you can look out toward the ocean. Our room also had a fireplace which was really cozy and warm.

Before we booked, I noticed a lot of people saying to request a second floor room as close as possible to the ocean. One thing I learned when making our reservation was that the partial ocean view rooms are the ones set back further on the property. We decided to pay for an full ocean view room so we could be closer. It is good to note that the ocean front rooms (which are one story units) are still in front of you and are the closest to the beach. However, I felt that a second floor ocean view was still pretty good, especially since we were on a budget. I don't think I would have wanted a ground level unit however, as I feel like our view would have been more restricted.

One quirky thing is that the thermostat controls the fireplace, which is the source of heat for the room. Therefore, if you are there on a cool night, the fireplace will kick on several times during the night. It makes a buzzing/clicking sound for about 10 seconds before kicking on which woke us up a few times. However, it wasn't a huge deal.

My hubby LOVED driving the golf cart around the property during our stay. I also liked the complementary split of wine when we entered our room, as well as nightly turn-down service with chocolates, which I thought were nice touches.

We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a quieter romantic place to stay in the Monterey area. If you have the money, splurge on the ocean front rooms (there also appears to be one 2nd level ocean front room). However, if you want to save a few bucks, the 2nd floor ocean view is still nice.

Room Tip: A second story ocean view room will get you a little better view on a budget, but for unrestricted views, choose an ocean front room if you have the money
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Thank you so very much for leaving the review that you did about the resort. I was excited to read that you did your research and settled upon our resort as the place of celebration for your very special occasion. I’m glad you decided to spend the extra few bucks for the Ocean View room, as I’m sure it rewarded you with a breathtaking vista of the surrounding blue on blue scenery! Please let us know when you are ready to return and we will charge your golf cart and ensure you have another great stay with us!

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I did a lot of research prior to our trip to Monterey/Carmel. I wanted to find a place that was really quiet and near the ocean. I purposely did not make reservations ahead of time because I wanted to check the place out before committing. Our first stop was the Sanctuary Beach Resort in Marina. We entered the lobby and were greeted by Jherrica. She was extremely helpful in sharing all of the information about the rooms and services the resort provided. I already knew that I wanted an ocean front-single story room and thankfully, one was available. Jherrica arranged for us to have a tour prior to committing. We were shown a Deluxe ocean view room and we decided to stay. My husband asked about in-room spa treatments and Jherrica made the appointments for us immediately, for the next evening. The room is not really large, but big enough for two people. Aside from the bed (which is very comfortable, especially the pillows!), there are two upholstered chairs to sit in; this allows you to comfortably view the ocean from inside your room. The bathroom has two sinks, a tub/shower combo and the toilet area has it's own door. There is a Keurig Coffee maker with an assortment of coffees and teas available, as well as a refrigerator for your other drinks/food items. The fireplace was wonderful and the warmth from it allowed us to leave our sliding door open all night, so that we could hear the waves! The patios (with two Adirondack chairs) are fenced in, because the entire area is a "reserve", so if you want to walk on the beach you have to drive your golf cart or walk over to the beach access path. We ordered their breakfast for our first morning; it arrived on time and in a picnic basket - it was wonderful. The bagels were still warm and ready for butter, cream cheese and jam. The coffee was hot and they even included cream. They also put in a copy of the USA Today newspaper. The pool and spa/jacuzzi were very clean (and not highly chlorinated). This whole resort is really well maintained and they try very hard to make your stay memorable. I'm glad I did the research and found Sanctuary Beach; I can't imagine ever staying anywhere else now when going to Monterey/Carmel.

1  Thank La S
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

From the looks of your lengthy review, you really enjoyed every aspect of the property. I’m glad Jherrica assisted you, as she is one of our newest team members and it warms my heart to know that she is already a great fit for our star front office staff! From the larger details like the redbrick road to drive your golf cart on all the way down to the smallest detail - the delivery of the morning paper with breakfast, you just about covered everything we have. I don’t think its even worth mentioning because you probably already know this but please call us directly the next time you want to visit.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is our second stay here and each time we have had a room overlooking the beach. Gorgeous views, quiet and secluded.
The room has a gas log fireplace and an outside patio.
Large heated pool and spa on the property and the golf cart provided for driving around is fun.

Room Tip: Upper floor off of the beach front may still give you a good view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for leaving such a great review. We pride ourselves on being one of the ideal romantic getaways for the California Central coast. I liked your “room tip” regarding the upper floor off-the-beach rooms. We refer to these rooms as Ocean View (versus Ocean Front) and in my personal opinion; they offer some of the most stunning views of the Pacific on the property. The best part is… they’re more affordable than the Ocean Front rooms! Contact us directly and we’ll help your next perfect getaway.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We started our stay by being personally escorted to our room in an electric cart. There, we found we were given an electric cart of our own to use throughout the property. A warm fireplace, a view of the ocean, nice wet bar with refrigerator, a separate tub/shower AND shower... all lovely amenities. Then we learned that for $10 pp we could have continental breakfast delivered to our room at our selected time. Wow! Only complaint: they only sent one napkin with breakfast.
This location is convenient to the Monterey / Carmel area without being in the thick of things. There is good shopping nearby, even Costco. I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a suite, with ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ral W

Thank you for staying at our resort and leaving such a great review. From the looks of things, you were able to take in almost all of the amenities offered here. I think your concern regarding the napkins is a valid one and I have already addressed it with the executive housekeeper. The next time you are ready to experience the ultimate in beachfront comfort, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we’ll ensure you have another fantastic stay!

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Having stayed at the Sanctuary Beach Resort last year for my daughter's graduation from CSUMB, when it came time for a return trip to Monterey to visit friends and faculty, we thought we'd see if our experience could be duplicated. To our delight, it was!

The warm welcome from Amanda at the front desk after a long drive was most appreciated. Since it was a cold, rainy Tuesday night in March, the resort was not full and we were lucky enough to get moved to an ocean front room instead of our partial view we had reserved. The views were spectacular and the sounds of the waves crashing on the beach were so nice to fall asleep to.

I had broken my arm right before our trip and Ken was so helpful with our luggage!

The fireplace, hot beverages in the room and spacious bathroom with plenty of hot water were the final touches to our stay. Hopefully, we won't have to wait another year before visiting again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a suite, it's worth it to have the extra living space in front of the fireplace.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Babynurse54

Wow, has it been a year since graduation already?! I remember reading your review from the stay last year and I was certainly happy to see that you had come back and wrote about your experience again! I really hope your daughter is progressing well through her professional life and is making some headway in the world with that freshly minted degree! As always, when you are ready to return once more, feel free to contact us directly and we will make sure to provide yet another wonderful stay.